1973 Duster

-
Sorry did not know that, I have a 6 speed in my Challenger so I was not sure, then I guess I have the 545RFE from a truck and it fits like it should be in a truck.

it's all good. I just wanted to make sure you know what you have. It's alot easier to get parts when the time comes for a trans filter change. Ect.

Just finished my trans mount for the beast to fit properly and thought I would share.

Attachments

• trans mount 001.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 816
  • trans mount 002.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 811
  • trans mount 003.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 804
  • trans mount 004.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 814
  • trans mount 008.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 821
  • trans mount 010.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 832
Just got my seats for the Duster put them in to see how they look. Next need to figure out the room for the center console shape and size.

I have a cut out of what it will look like but waiting for my center console to get in before I show anyone.

Believe it or not my challenger floor mats will fit the car perfectly after I fix the center hump.

Stay tuned...

Attachments

• new seats for duster 004.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 806
  • new seats for duster 003.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 796
  • new seats for duster 002.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 783
  • new seats for duster 001.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 780
Which Corbeau seats are those? They look very similar to my TRS seats.

Did you buy the brackets that came with them? I'd love to see how those look.

I just noticed the steering column. Which one is that? Does it have a key in it?

Riddler

Second Question....In this picture the aluminum tank at the back of the picture looks like a stock tank. But earlier in your thread you posted a trunk mount tank.

attachment.php

What is this second tank?

Riddler

Hey Riddler,

The seat are the GTS II recliner seats with the 1" shaved off the base, and yes I am using the seat tracks that come with them. The seat tracks have the double adjuster on them also.

As for the steering column it does not have a key switch on it. I am planning on using the push button start feature. The column is from Flaming River and they also have the push button start feature ( I do not have that yet).

As for the tank When I bought the motor they send the tank as well, but as you know I already had one. So I sent the tank back with my computer for my 2009 Challenger and they reprogrammed it so that all the factory restrictions are now removed and it is faster than it was before.

I am going to have it dyno'd soon at a shop near me so I will post numbers when I get them.

When I get the center trans hump figured out i will take the seats out and post a picture of the seat tracks for you.

So, ok I have been holding out on all of you for a little while until I was able to finish my trans tunnel and now I have got it done finally.

I had to go buy a band saw to finish the job, but hey I could use another tool in the garage.

Now I am no master body guy I only know enough to get me in trouble so be kind with the reviews. but be honest of what you think.

I have a challenger so that is where I got the idea and I am going to build a center console on top of this later after carpet is in. Way down the road..

I also build a radiator support no pipe bender so I had to make due with the angle, but hey no one will see it but me.

Attachments

• misc duster 028.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 729
  • misc duster 025.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 742
  • misc duster 024.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 730
  • misc duster 022.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 735
As long as the shifter works and the tranny clears it's all good with me..if you had an English wheel you could made one with curves but you are in a garage with limited space and no space for such tools..8)

looks as good as I would do. But I'm building a race car and it's function over form for me. But I think once you get the carpet in it will not be that noticeable. Personally though you probably should have picked up a trans tunneland modded it to work. Thenit would of had the curves to it. But that is just being picky. Once carpet isin you won't tell a diffrence.

I think I have been getting spoiled with my challenger because I can rest my leg against the trans tunnel while I drive because it does the same thing..

I guess I am looking at what I like on my challenger and trying to duplicate it somewhat..

Anyways speaking of my challenger I have been trying to find a good trunk release lever for my Duster so that I can make it electric since I shaved all the key holes on the car.

I looked at several cable systems keeping the stock latch and even bought a few that I was very unhappy with. I want a clean look and figured the new cars (Challenger) has a built in motor to open the trunk on the latch so what do I need to make it work?

Well surprise.. surprise the challenger latch does work on the duster with the challenger catch as well..

All I had to do was cut a little of the trunk latch support and put the latch on the inside of the support with a 1/2 spacer and wa la it works slicker than (insert redneck phrase here).

I will get pictures of it up soon but let me tell you if you are looking to have an electric trunk release this is by far the easiest modification I have found to this car thus far..

I know I am a little excited that it work so easily....

So I am still working on the trunk before I take pictures of the electric latch but it is almost done so stand by for those. Here is the pictures of the A/C unit that I had to search for to find the proper size unit. Thanks to everyone who took back the units that did not fit.

Getting real close to being ready to go to the paint booth. I better decide the color scheme real quick.

I am thinking blue and Graphite, but not sure where what color is going quit yet, but I do have some wild ideas..

Stand by for that..

Forgive the large bolt on the bottom I needed another short bolt, but wanted to see if it fit right now

Attachments

• Duster_a_c 004.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 698
  • Duster_a_c 006.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 683
  • Duster_a_c 008.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 696
Hey everybody sorry nothing new to post for some time I have been working on the car but had yet to have pictures taken. So this is what is new thus far. I finished the inside of the car it is all painted black and has had a layer of underbody protection on the entire car both under the car and inside the car for added noise protection, plus I had extra. I had a Big UPS semi deliver a big box to my door the other day, and after painting the leaf springs and what was in the box my car is back on all fours and considering the paint job.
So enough talk here are the pics.

Attachments

• Tim's duster_6.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 627
  • Tim's duster_1.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 630
  • Tim's duster.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 638
  • Painting_pics 022.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 616
  • Painting_pics 018.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 634
  • duster 12 007.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 637
  • duster 12 006.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 632
  • duster 12 005.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 652
  • duster 12 003.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 623
  • Tim's duster_3.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 612
Welcome back, I was wondering what was going on with the car...looking great....I wish I was that far along, The rear end looks sweet, I was looking at the S60 for my project ..your pics may just persuade me to bite the bullet once i get the tires mocked up and measured...again looking good, nice job...

so what does the dana come with give us details inquireing minds wanna know. What gears and center chunk, spline count all the goodies. Man I wish my car was half as clean as yours. Mine will get there though but the fab work comes first.

Ok, I know I should have shared this information so here goes.
the rear end has a 35 spline with the 3.73 gears, chrome moly yoke, I upgraded from the trac-lok to the true-trac I really wanted the Detroit locker but with a medium spring in it and they would not change the springs. So I went with the quieter true-trac. I also went with the adjustable Snubber, but now that it is in I have it at the lowest setting and have to adjust to get the pin in, so maybe I should have deleted that one, but oh well to late. I had to keep the 1/2 studs because I already have the wheels and they would not fit with the bigger studs.
So what is next?
Well I have been talking to someone from Rock and roll paint http://www.rr-custompaintworks.com/index.html and found out they are moving to Texas. To be precise about 10 minutes away from my house. So that is a major score. There paint jobs are to die for. It takes them about a month to paint the car and it will be awesome.
So stand by for that.

I first have to see if my wallet can handle the impact.

man that sounds like a nice rear end. It should easily handle the power of your 6.1. Nothing better than a new toy. I should have purchased one like you did, my dana probably cost about the same and I have to assemble it myself. And I'm guessing you have a better warrenty on your lol

Well I hope that I will never have to use that warranty.
That thing was so heavy. The only problem I have now is getting rid of my 7 1/4 rear end. I guess I will have to borrow the wifes truck and make a run to a salvage yard.

lol yeah I'm in the same boat. I need to find someplace to unload mine as well. It's currently being used to take up space.......

SO for about a week or so I have been racking my brain as to why when I dropped the motor into the car the front end did not drop that far down.
I am going for a lower look and thought I got the wrong torsion bars (to firm) But after much research on the bars I discovered that I put them on the wrong side. I only just found out that there is a left and right bar I do not know what I was thinking when I put them in. obviously not to check the end of the bar before putting them in.
So now I have to take them out again, by removing all of the front components. What a pain.

Why didn't anyone tell me there was a left and right side. I know do not answer that. I will say it was a lapse in brain matter that day. I guess I was too excited to get it back on all four and did not pay attention.

:sad5: maybe next time I will read a little more into things before slapping them on :book:

SO for about a week or so I have been racking my brain as to why when I dropped the motor into the car the front end did not drop that far down.
I am going for a lower look and thought I got the wrong torsion bars (to firm) But after much research on the bars I discovered that I put them on the wrong side. I only just found out that there is a left and right bar I do not know what I was thinking when I put them in. obviously not to check the end of the bar before putting them in.
So now I have to take them out again, by removing all of the front components. What a pain.

Why didn't anyone tell me there was a left and right side. I know do not answer that. I will say it was a lapse in brain matter that day. I guess I was too excited to get it back on all four and did not pay attention.

:sad5: maybe next time I will read a little more into things before slapping them on :book:
Have fun guy....been there done that....it was a b***th to get one of them back out...

Well I had to tear down the front end completely out just to get the torsion bars out. Now with the K-member staring at me with the suspension completely out I figured what the heck.

I took the K-member and put it under the motor and started assembling the motor around the K-member with trans hooked up and all.

Now I have the exhaust, starter, and everything hooked up to the K-member and decided to do test fit number 7 to check and see if everything fits.

I had to adjust the oil dipstick and trans dip stick but it bolted up to the frame in less than 30 minutes.

Fastest motor install yet.

I will post some pics tomorrow.

I am still worried that the Torsion bar may hit on the drivers side, but I will have to check another day.
I did a flash light check and it is going to be close, I might have to put a dimple in the header (I hope not) I will keep everyone informed on what is happening.

-
Back