1973 Plymouth Duster NEWBIE!!

-

1PSilva

Alright, I am new at this so bare with me. I've restored a few cars and motorcycles from VW's, Ford, Chevy, Nissan, Mazda, Toyota and Harley's but this is my first Mopar YAY! I have a few guestions I could use some input on. I've posted a link to some pics below. I am just starting to strip the inside, then I will be pulling the motor, etc. to get it to the paint shop.

Lets start with:

1) How to convert column shifter to floor shifter (obviously auto trans.)

2) What's is the largest tire/rim combination I can go with on the rear end without having to narrow the rear end or tub?

3) Is there a supplier for interior trim, seals and upholestry that you recommend?

4) Other then Summit and Jegs what parts supplier have you had luck with?

That should be good for now as I mainly want to figure out the floor shifter prior to taking it to my paint guy incase I need to do some floor pan modification. Thanks in advance :)

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/album?c...KLUA69l.OjpOXCKsoRDLQ--&ts=1172679677&.src=ph

Welcome to the forum, there's lots of info here. I can't answer your questions myself but I know I've read about the tire size question you have so if you look around you'll find it, try the search feature. I'm also going to be converting my 70 Duster to floor shift at some point, not sure what all you need to do other than get a steering column without the shifter on it to make it look right. Probably need a different length linkage to hook it up :-k

Thanks Rob!

It looks like some Cragar SS 15x7 4.25 back spacing with 225/60 on the front and 255/60 in the rear will do the trick or at least is a great starting point.

As for the column to floor shifter conversion I am still not sure. If someone has a clue how to do this and what parts (linkage, etc.) I might need let me know.

Thanks Again

Welcome to the site 1Psilva
Are you talking about converting auto to colume shift with factory parts or just an after market shifter? Most after market shifters are done with a cable sfift and they include most hardware to make them work. Then you would have to convert your column to a man trans column by removing the selector and filing it with some kind of epoxy and repainting it. You could also look for a column from a winibago as they used 4sp columns as they mounted the shifter on the dash.
As far as rear rubber goes I have 265 50 14's on my Demon, on a 7.5 rim no rubbing.
For interior parts I use http://www.nationalmoparts.com but they are in Canada.

HEY Keith,
Thanks for the link to the parts supplier I will give them a shot. Yes you're exactly right in that I want to change my Auto Column Shifter to an Aftermarket Auto Floor Shifter. Preferably a Hurst or even B&M would be fine. By the way your ride looks great.
Thanks Again

I've heard good things about the Cheetah shifter. Mancini Racing is also a good supplier. Pick up a Mopar Action or Mopar Muscle magazine to see ads by most reliable suppliers.

Looks like you have most of your answers.

You should be able to do the shifter swap with ease if you are going with an after market shifter. Just purchase it, install it, then romove it, and send it for paint. as far as the colum goes, it does look kinda goofey if you have a colum shift on a floor shift car. for a quick fix you can punch the pin out on the coulum shifter, and just get rid of the handle. but a 4 spd colum is what you really need for that clean look.

DO winabago colums bolt right in? I have never heard of that????

I have bought some car parts from Rockauto parts. but I have also used summit, and my local parts store.

Phil

-
Back