1973 Scamp Brake Question

-

Nevada Scamp

Reaction score
I have a totally stock 1973 Scamp with a 225 slant 6. It has drum brakes on all four wheels. I serviced the front brakes a few months ago and it had 10-inch drums. I looked at the rear drums this evening and it appears to have 9-inch drums in the rear. Is this the standard set up for this car? I had assumed it would have 10-inch drums on all wheels. I'm glad I didn't order parts in advance...

Most slant 6 and 318 A-bodies had the 7 1/4" rear and came with 9" front and rear. Your fortunate to have the 10" Up front. Most of the time 10" front brakes came on 318 cars.

Should be fine like that. The rears only do 30% of the braking and you never want the rears to skid before the fronts, or the rear can come around. The drum brake "hardware kits" come for "1 axle", so no waste there and the drums, shoes, and wheel cylinders differ between front & rear even on 10"-all cars.

Most slant 6 and 318 A-bodies had the 7 1/4" rear and came with 9" front and rear. Your fortunate to have the 10" Up front. Most of the time 10" front brakes came on 318 cars.

Only the 6 cylinder, 73-76 A body cars had DRUM brakes.
318 V8 cars were Disc brakes, Not drums.

Most slant 6 and 318 A-bodies had the 7 1/4" rear and came with 9" front and rear.

Up until 1972, yes. In 73 and 74, the base brakes were 10" front, 9" rear drums (I'm not sure about 75-76). 1972 was the last year they put 9" drums on the front.

I have a 1975 scamp drums front and rear, slant 6 225. 318 's are disc in front.
Looking to upgrade to disc in front, because I will be putting in a 318 (mild cam) with 904 bolted on all ready.
Bit of a challenge in getting accurate info on spindle swap and ball joint sizes. Some say my ball joints are already the larger size. As for disc combo kit? well...our dollar really sucks right now. Anyone have used wilwoods they wanna sell? :banghead:

In 73-76, the upper ball joints were the same for disc and drum, so you don't need those. The hardest disc-conversion parts to find are the spindles, caliper brackets, and dust shields (I've read the dust shields aren't strictly necessary though). If you want a kit, TheRamMan.com has a decent price on a kit that has everything you need. It will include a sleeve that pre-1973 car owners can use on their upper ball joints so they don't have to replace the upper control arms. They also sell rotors with small bolt pattern in case you want to keep SBP. Factory rotors from 73-76 had LBP, unlike the earlier rotors.

I have a 1975 scamp drums front and rear, slant 6 225. 318 's are disc in front.
Looking to upgrade to disc in front, because I will be putting in a 318 (mild cam) with 904 bolted on all ready.
Bit of a challenge in getting accurate info on spindle swap and ball joint sizes. Some say my ball joints are already the larger size. As for disc combo kit? well...our dollar really sucks right now. Anyone have used wilwoods they wanna sell? :banghead:

If you do enough research, you will find that most mid to late 70's mopar disc brake setups will swap to an A body. People part out cars on here all the time, and over on fbbo , guys sell entire magnum/cordoba cars complete for $500. There are also bracket kits out there that utilize a cordoba rotor with either a viper or other caliper. Just takes the right amount of googling
http://www.doctordiff.com/viper-caliper-mounting-brackets-for-mopar-drum-knuckles.html

-
Back