1973 Windshield Wiper arms/pivot & Wiring Tech

-

Blue73Swingr

Reaction score
Hey guys probably a dumb question but I searched thru the tech archive but no dice.

I just picked up at 73 Swinger, with a slant 6. The windshield washer motor was not grounded properly so that fixed that issue, meanwhile, I found the arms under the the seat. In looking at my buddies 73 I figured out how they are hooked up but neither his nor my car has all the hardware that attaches the linkages to the pivots and then the motor. I removed the glove box and was able to get the arms back in place.

I believe Classic Industries catalog calls them Wiper Pivot Gaskets, and lists that they fit 67-76 models. On another forum a member mentioned you can pick them up at NAPA at a fraction of the cost, no part number was given.

Is this what i need to attach the arms or are the gromets or gaskets called something else? Anyone have a part number from the box stores or Mopar?

Secondly the plug that connects the column to the main harness had burned up the middle of the connector and someone previous to me bypassed the red and black wires that I assume provide power to the ignition. When you move the connector around it kills the motor while its running.

Short of finding one in the Junkyard, or bypassing the connector? Anyone know if these are reproduced or ??? I would like to fix it correctly instead of jerry rigging it or at worst case bypassing the connector and hard wiring it. Obviously I need it to be reliable.

Thanks!!!

:burnout:

I believe Classic Industries catalog calls them Wiper Pivot Gaskets, and lists that they fit 67-76 models. On another forum a member mentioned you can pick them up at NAPA at a fraction of the cost, no part number was given.

Wiper linkage bushings.

View attachment yhst-16933743911250_2267_147073997.jpg

If the ends of the transmission arms have a round hole with a slot, these are what you need. And yes, you can get them at NAPA, that's where I got mine.

Secondly the plug that connects the column to the main harness had burned up the middle of the connector and someone previous to me bypassed the red and black wires that I assume provide power to the ignition. When you move the connector around it kills the motor while its running.

Short of finding one in the Junkyard,

You might put a want ad here on the site for the section of harness you need, someone might have one.

Also, if those bushing are what you need, they are a booger to put on. Put a dab of grease in the cup area, put the bushing in the arm, and then snap them over the ball with channel locks, being careful not to bend the end of the arm. They are a very tight fit.

I've got complete Dash harnesses and individual parts/circuits if you need them.

I got mine from the dodge dealer part #3799089 $6.25 each I got 4 no clips on my 73.

You might put a want ad here on the site for the section of harness you need, someone might have one.

Also, if those bushing are what you need, they are a booger to put on. Put a dab of grease in the cup area, put the bushing in the arm, and then snap them over the ball with channel locks, being careful not to bend the end of the arm. They are a very tight fit.

Thanks everyone for your replies. After fishing around here on the forum and doing my homework, both inside the vehicle and here on the internet I think I have several conclusions.

1. The 73 distributor was replaced with a pre 73 points distributor and I kept burning thru points. I plan on replacing it with a Pertronix Ignitor conversion kit...debating the I vs II but prob go with the II just to eliminate the ballast resistor, and keep a spare distributor setup and ready to go in a small roadside box in the trunk just incase the pertronix ever dies....cause fumbling around in the dark and cold even with a led flashlight with a slant six distributor is bullshit....done it and it sucks.

2. The burned connector under the dash may be fixed after reading the sticky on ignition switch replacement and turn signal switch. I was given a good one from a buddy when I started having issues in my early early Monaco junkyard column in my 34 Plymouth....and ironically after digging around in the back seat I found what looks like a new turn signal switch and wire. LOL after comparing the two assemblies with that here on the fourm they are identical...so someone knew what was up....

The only troubling thing is that the other side of the ignition switch connector I belive is also burned but may still be ok. Have to do the swap and see what turns up.

I really do appreciate everyones response and the part numbers!!!!!! I think Ill end up buying the 10 pack from summit and my pertronix in one purchase. Cheaper than the Mopar Dealer and Classic Industries.

I scored a major $100 dart part stash on CL from a parted out 74. If the switch replacements dont work I will contact you WHITEPUNKNITRO, on your parts.

If anyone needs some AC tint quarterglass let me know. Ill prob be posting most of the extra parts I dont need here on the forums!!!!

Ill try this and let you know the results!

:burnout:

Chris

Dorman makes them at almost any parts store in a assortment I think two of the ones you need come in a pack, wirer arm linkage bushings. And they are a pain to get the pivot ball in as previously stated.

chris thank you for getting back to me ...........i dont need the bushings i need the pivots that pertrude through the cowl and the wiper arms go on them ...........

You'll have to find a pair from someone parting a car out. The wiper pivots are not repop'd. I've been able to save a few sets that are 100% locked up. I soak them in a few different chemicals, I also drill and add grease points to them. There are kits available to add the grease fittings as well.

Here's a link to what I use. I also use RTV on the white seal to the pivot. Mopar 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 Dart Duster Windshield Wiper Pivot Seal Kits

Check ebay or these forums for wiper pivots. Some guy feel there work $50 each. I bought a few sets for $20.

Riddler

-
Back