1974 318

-

74Dart318

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just posted a new thread for my car is the restorations forum. I wanted to get some opinions here on the build I was thinking about doing. It will basically be following the build from Popular Hot Rodding

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/mopar/0667em_mopar_318_engine/viewall.html

I got some 596 heads from a member here on, thanks FABO and mopar_muscle. Planning on getting them rebuild with 2.02 intake valves.

The article in the link above lists the Comp Cam XE275HL but in the link below it is listed as a 383-440 cam, not a 318 cam.

http://www.compcams.com/(S(dn5ffrbf...mpany/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=711&sb=0

Anyone, let me know how good or bad everything sounds.

Interesting. I'd be up for more info and real life experiences on this. I've got a 318 in my duster that I figure is stock but don't know as the deepest I've been in it is I have the intake off. This'll give me more options other than a 340 or 360

Well, the 318 response is good when given the same thoughts and considerations that you would give any other engine you would build. The key thought is understanding the engine is just simply small in size. There is a lack of torque in the small bore and short stroke. It will need a little more gear, converter and cam to perform at the same level as the bigger brothers, the 340 & the 360.

I have done a couple of these lil'monsters. If your interested in just upping the anti on what you have with basic bolt on parts and a cam, it will do well. The first issue is addressing the low compression of the engine. On the cheap it is milling the heads.

Then when you select a cam, take a minute to realize the cams size and the torque converter you'll need as well as the gear ratio it would need to perform well. This is part of "The Package" of the cars performance upgrade. They must work together.

Basics after that are;

Do not exceed a 9.5-1 compression ratio. Careful on how much milling the heads take.
Certainly use a dual planeike the RPM and a 650 carb. Exhaust at 2-1/2 and a upgraded ignition will top this off.

The 318 will move for you.

Well, the bad is a TQ on a RPM.

Thanks Rumblefish, I was curious about this. It seems like a lot of people are fans of the TQ. Is this bad because of the spread bore of the TQ?

Interesting. I'd be up for more info and real life experiences on this. I've got a 318 in my duster that I figure is stock but don't know as the deepest I've been in it is I have the intake off. This'll give me more options other than a 340 or 360

I was hoping other people might have attempted this build as well already. I will keep posted as my build goes. It will be a slow start for now most likely.

Ditto above. There is no magic "dark cloud" over a 318. Only difference is that Ma put small port heads and low compression pistons in at the factory, and forgot to put a cam in the damn thing.

Sorta the 307 Chivvy of the Mopar crowd.

If Ma would'ha built a 318 the same way they built 340's it would have been a whole different world, LOL

Thanks Rumblefish, I was curious about this. It seems like a lot of people are fans of the TQ. Is this bad because of the spread bore of the TQ?
QUOTE]

The performer RPM is a square bore intake while the TQ is a spread bore carb.
Would either use a spacer/adapter or a regular performer intake

The spreadbore design has it's pros and cons. Speaking from a purely performance aspect, there not as good as a square ore design. The square bore keeps the air and fuel even (or close to it) as it exit the carb from underneath. This helps in power production. Distribution from the carb is good.

The spreadbore's pro is the two very differance sized throttle bores. The small primary side lends itself to great throttle response, better fuel atomization which helps in mileage.

The secondary side offers explosive opening acceleration.

The Thermo Quad as well as all Carter's are not known for there top end Hp ability. But the so make excellent torque low and mid. Right where you live on the street. And this is why there so popular in addition to being easy to tune and stay tuned.

Once you learn a TQ, you'll really like them. There an excellent street, street strip choice carb. Tuning parts are hard to find. Just use the current Edelbrock AFB rods trimmed down 3/4 of an inch from the top, rebend.

The performer RPM is a square bore intake while the TQ is a spread bore carb.
Would either use a spacer/adapter or a regular performer intake

I think he's got that. I'd skip the Performer in favor of a Action Plus by Weiand.
If it were a serious, heavy (big) crammed engine, and a larger one, I'd look to the single plane M1.

I'd skip the spacer spacer because of the added height. There will be intercept ace with the hood and that's without an air cleaner.

The spreadbore's pro is the two very differance sized throttle bores. The small primary side lends itself to great throttle response, better fuel atomization which helps in mileage.

The secondary side offers explosive opening acceleration.

The Thermo Quad as well as all Carter's are not known for there top end Hp ability. But the so make excellent torque low and mid. Right where you live on the street. And this is why there so popular in addition to being easy to tune and stay tuned.

Once you learn a TQ, you'll really like them. There an excellent street, street strip choice carb. Tuning parts are hard to find. Just use the current Edelbrock AFB rods trimmed down 3/4 of an inch from the top, rebend.

Thanks Rumblefish. I would be interested in building it with the TQ and a proper intake for the spread bore. The reason I would lean towards Edelbrock is the availability. It seems like TQ carbs are a little hard to come by. Unless I just don't know where to look.

-
Back