1974 AMF Harley-Davidson question

-

magnumdart

There is a bad moon on the rise.
Reaction score
So... I rarely work on motorcycles but could not pass up a 1974 SS350 showing only 6100 miles for free. It is in great shape and even has a somewhat interesting claim to fame. The PO apparently damaged the part in the pic by prying off the flywheel. Question is where can I find a replacement part. Can a shop rewind it? Should I try? Anyone on this site have the ability for a fee. Let me know your thoughts. I don't want it sitting around all apart as pieces get lost. Since I do not know exactly how it goes together...yet...I don't know for sure I have all the parts. Thanks

Attachments

• 1021151506.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 266
HD SS350 was an italian import if i am correct Aerimacci scooters built them for HD. I used to work for a HD dealer in NJ in the early 90s thru 1995.

Give Richie Kosco a call at Kosco HD in Pompton Plains NJ. Look em up in the net. They may have moved since then, but had an assload of obsolete NOS parts in the attic, including some Aerimacci import parts. My nephew recently bought a polaris quad from them. Its been 20 years since i moved from N.J. however so they may have sold out all that old stuff.

Hope this helps
Matt

Back in 1983 (I was 15, and into Harleys), the neighbor across the street had one in his back yard.

We've all heard the "if you can get it to run, you can have it" stories...

I called EVERY HD dealer in three states.

No one had any parts or knew how to get any...

...but every single one of them wanted to buy the bike.

Yours is only the third one I've ever seen.

After hours of searching I found a couple. One was obviously cooked, but one looked ok. The positions of the green and brown wires are reversed in reference to the plate they attatch to, but it should work. It is alternating current. I called Harley by me. I don't think they have a clue. You know, you ask a simple question and there is a pause with undecipherable sounds. Anyway, they won't work on pre '85. Probably did me a favor. They didn't offer to buy it.

Might want to see if Tramontin (sp?l is still around. From what I remember they were the one of the oldest Hardly rideable dealers. At one point they were in Hope NJ.

Might want to see if Tramontin (sp?l is still around. From what I remember they were the one of the oldest Hardly rideable dealers. At one point they were in Hope NJ.

Yep i worked there too back in 1992/1993, then i got a job working for Rich Kosco up in pompton plains at Kosco HD. Tramontin is still in Hope NJ. Their other store on Clifton on lexington ave where i used to work closed in the late 90s.

Thanks for the leads. Looks like a few more minor parts and I should be good. Probably gonna have to get a manual to figure the exact order of all the little washers and springy things.

I had to rewind a buncha Edsel shift solenoids that were unavailable,, I took them home and dewound and rewound,, then epoxied them,, they worked great... used to do the same with slot car motors..

Try dewinding them,, they may just pull apart fairly easily,, count the number of windings on each coil,, "Belden" used to make armature wire,, find some the same diameter,, and rewind with same number of windings..

I'd try it,, they're screwed now,, you can hardly wreck em any more.. jmo

cheers

I had to rewind a buncha Edsel shift solenoids that were unavailable,, I took them home and dewound and rewound,, then epoxied them,, they worked great... used to do the same with slot car motors..

Try dewinding them,, they may just pull apart fairly easily,, count the number of windings on each coil,, "Belden" used to make armature wire,, find some the same diameter,, and rewind with same number of windings..

I'd try it,, they're screwed now,, you can hardly wreck em any more.. jmo

cheers

You of course are right. I may go ahead and rewind them. I have done slot car motors and such, about 45 years ago. Problem is if you goof up a small model motor it just smokes a little. If I goof this piece up it could smoke all sorts of stuff I may not be able to replace.

You of course are right. I may go ahead and rewind them. I have done slot car motors and such, about 45 years ago. Problem is if you goof up a small model motor it just smokes a little. If I goof this piece up it could smoke all sorts of stuff I may not be able to replace.

If you use the same number wire,, same number of winds,, used care not to scratch wire insulation in a manner that would cause it to "short" or "ground".. Check with an ohmeter after, for continuity and ground to frame.. Hard to believe it'd blow anything up...

Should be staight forward,, jmo

I've always figured that if someone could do something then I could too...within reason. I probably could not survive a top fuel run these days, but I'm sure I will land up rewinding the coils. Between your signature inertia, and mine, I am probably in deep crap again.

-
Back