1974 Brain Box saves the day.

-
I had another one Rocket sold me that looked they same way , I guess the earlier models that didn't have that process perfected like the later models which have a black rubbery substance in them !!!!
I can just put clear silicone in there and should be fine just dump that stuff out I will address it before storing im sure it still functions properly .
This one at some time had the black potting, it was melted out all ober the cardoard box. There was a question a while ago about sand in the counterfiet boxes but I guess Mopar did it also. A dessicant maybe?

This one at some time had the black potting, it was melted out all ober the cardoard box. There was a question a while ago about sand in the counterfiet boxes but I guess Mopar did it also. A dessicant maybe?
Ten 4
Its worth a gamble im sure it will be fine with some clear silicone applied all around it .

I had another one Rocket sold me that looked they same way , I guess the earlier models that didn't have that process perfected like the later models which have a black rubbery substance in them !!!!
I can just put clear silicone in there and should be fine just dump that stuff out I will address it before storing im sure it still functions properly .

Be careful using silicone. It has a very high coefficient of thermal expansion, so when the temp changes a lot, it can tear parts off the circuit board

Great stuff foam works good if you don’t need heat dissipation for components on the inside.

We used sand on at least some of the potting around the sensors for the airbags. Unfortunately I didn't really work on those and don't recall what the purpose was. The potting was a two part but I can't even recall if it was a flexible epoxy or a urethane system. Over 30 years ago now. Unlike these ECUs, the sensors had no transistors, resistors or diodes so sand around them wasn't going to do anything more than fill space and make an insulation.

Where can I purchase potting material ?
I guess I will look on ebay
What I use you can easily find it on e bay.
s-l500.jpg

Me? I clean them with denatured alcohol, after that dries I heat it for a bit with a heat gun to get any residual moisture out.

Yes, I figured you would know a good procedure since you have used that potting compound before. I have a chrome box and some voltage regulators that are loosing the original potting compound. Thank you!

Those leads are too close to the metallic heat sink for comfort. It seems too easy to bump the dang thing & short out the MOSFET.
[Edit] Just noticed plastic protectors on the leads. Oops!

No that one is fine, I have a few that need to be filled.
I havent had a computer for a few days , I need to send ya pictures this week
I need a few rotor buttons for my {Prestolite } brand I believe its called with mechanical tach provision on it thanks Chris

-
Back