1974 Brain Box saves the day.

-
The ones with 0 instead an O are from the electrical chapter of the Engine Book.
That typographical error (and many others) is in several of the later editions.
The edition I have is the one with Carrol Shelby on it. Nobody was proof reading the stuff the going out the door. Best I can tell MP was on autopilot, feeding off the work done by the previous generation.

Gut the one out and fit a GM HEI 4 pin in there.
I didn't have any luck with this. Kept going threw modules like candy with no run time...yes...I used the correct grease. Went back to the Mopar style brain box's.

IMG_20160125_185745.jpg

311.JPG

310.JPG

309.JPG

308.JPG

307.JPG

What I use you can easily find it on e bay.
View attachment 1715690341
This what you can put in the back of these box's.

I just bought some NOS aftermarket boxes....Silver Streak (made in the U.S.A) out of Troy, MI that gotten hot in the box's would like to clean them up and use them. Was wonder if a person could melt the old stuff out and put new stuff in...is this what you're showing the folks here with this stuff?

Looking at #205, I can see at least one reason why it wouldn't work, & possibly two.
[1] Pin 'C' is the coil neg wire. It needs to be kept away from the p/up wires, as the coil neg wire too close can cause false triggering.
[2] Red is often used conventionally for the pos wire. If this has been done [ goes to Coil [+] & 12v supply ], then the B & C wires are reversed on the module.

How is that moduale grounded in a plastic case? Not seeing it. Bet if you mount it to the metal plate it would be fine and not burn them out.

Last edited:
Looking at #205, I can see at least one reason why it wouldn't work, & possibly two.
[1] Pin 'C' is the coil neg wire. It needs to be kept away from the p/up wires, as the coil neg wire too close can cause false triggering.
[2] Red is often used conventionally for the pos wire. If this has been done [ goes to Coil [+] & 12v supply ], then the B & C wires are reversed on the module.
This #2

Sorry didn't realize you guys were even talking about the FBO box. Yes it's aluminum and the rear plate is aluminum also.....the wiring was like that when they sent it....and my bad for not noticing/checking it to see if it right or wrong....but all the modules that I put in it worked for awhile....

Ok...went and looked at it...

Pin 1 blue is going to terminal B
Pin 2 red(note that it isn't soldered) is going to terminal C
Pin 4 yellow is going to terminal G
Pin 5 white is going to terminal W

Last edited:
go to the hardware store get a tube of clear silicone and squeeze it into the back of that old one to reseal it...:)

The last four pin Select BorgWarner module I lost W terminal....not sure if they others was the same reason or not. I'm also wondering if that GM modules aren't also coming into quality issues like the Mopar brain boxes? Food for thought.

I'm also doing an experiment at the moment with Manicini's $11.95 cheap box cause it doesn't look like the latest fake boxes....will see how well it works on the 440 in the 86 RC. Also I notice that I used feet like MSD this time and yes....I've made sure it's over grounded. To try and see if it helps with cooling...or not....again we'll see.

Mancini also told me though an email that they were made in Taiwan.....anyways

Mancini's cheap box3.jpg

Mancini's Cheap box2.jpg

Mancini's cheap box.jpg

Mancini's cheap box4.jpg

Mancini's cheap box5.jpg

Mancini's cheap box6.jpg

Last edited:
qUICK SIGNS ARE NOTHING WRITTEN ON TOP OF THE TALL TRANSISTER AND THE "REPLACES cHRYSLER pRODUCT STICKER. rUN IT hOT (HAIR DRYER HOT AND FRIDGE COLD) AND COLD TO SIMULATE CONDITIONS.
Oh crap caps lock sory!

qUICK SIGNS ARE NOTHING WRITTEN ON TOP OF THE TALL TRANSISTER AND THE "REPLACES cHRYSLER pRODUCT STICKER. rUN IT hOT (HAIR DRYER HOT AND FRIDGE COLD) AND COLD TO SIMULATE CONDITIONS.
Oh crap caps lock sory!
Now, I'm not arguing here.....quite the opposite, actually. Looking for clarification. WHY is it "ok" to use the style resistors you say are "bad" for the ignition boxes on the instrument cluster voltage regulator? Lots of people have done that and they work great. Isn't it possible some of "that style" resistors....transistors.....whateverthehelltheyare are a good design? Help me understand.

Lee,
I just installed a Summit # 850730 4 pin GM module. Works great. What I particularly like about it is the 5k-9k built in adjustable rev limiter. It uses dip switches to change the setting.

I bought three things: A alternator, water pump and fuel pump. They were for "peace of mind". I only used the water pump. The fuel pump was obviously lighter than the fuel pump i removed, and the arm wasn't curved on the new one. I felt better re-using the old one. I tried to install the remanufactured alternator and found the adjusting bolt hole threads were striped - mostly missing. I re-used my old alternator. Just a shame in my opinion. Where is the PRIDE in the Product you manufacture?? is my question to these companies. Is the "dime" the only bottom line? How about 7 pennies and give us quality...
Same issue on a Lifetime alt, come to find, remanned un Xhina

Now, I'm not arguing here.....quite the opposite, actually. Looking for clarification. WHY is it "ok" to use the style resistors you say are "bad" for the ignition boxes on the instrument cluster voltage regulator? Lots of people have done that and they work great. Isn't it possible some of "that style" resistors....transistors.....whateverthehelltheyare are a good design? Help me understand.
Rob it is all about getting the heat from them out thats usually what makes electronics fail. The old ones aka "real" are mounted to a heat sink that dissapates the heat well, the new transistors are burried inside the box so its heat and other heat dgenerated by other internals has no where to go. Pretty wel explained in here. That help?

-
Back