1974 Dart Swinger

-
i like the stance on it...are those gabriel hi jackers shocks commonly used in applications like this? do they work well/ affect ride quality?....good to see you and your son are enjoying a mopar project together

The rear shocks are Gabriels. We're running about 65-70 lbs in them to achieve that stance. How common they are to this application, I don't know, but Auto Zone had them in stock. The ride is definitely more firm but in a good way. I liked the gloss black which looked good with the freshly painted leaf springs and axle. This spring I want to get duals out the back with sqaure tips which will enhance the squareness of the tail lights and body in general. I found some Mopar reproduction square tips on e-bay but they were $115 for the pair. A little pricey at this time. The money is better spent next on new window rubber and seals. Then probably new front shocks / bushings kit.

Joe Mc, thanks for the comment!

Looking great! Those front markers are still available from the dealer by the way. They were even used on trucks up till 91 I think. I got some from the dealer out of Big D not too long ago.

Speaking of the dodge house you can still get the wiper linkage bushings from them too, the guy gave me a handful just like that! Check em out and they fit perfectly :)

Well this weekend we replaced the ignition Module which went bad. Seems it had gotton hot and melted away the protective coating and when we gunked and washed the engine bay, the water ruined the exposed circuits. The car would crank but not fire. Now with the new module she fires up again.
We also painted the intake manifold with Dupli-Color's, 500 degree engine paint. The color we chose was DE 1615 Aluminum. We masked off quite a bit but ignored other areas since they will be replaced anyways. We also repainted the fender support posts and the fan blades gloss black.
The painting was done Saturday. Sunday we drained and flushed the radiator. Then we replaced both heater hoses, bypass hose, and top and bottom rad hoses useing all new clamps. When we went to replace the thermostat we found it was being run without one. So we put in a stock Durolast one with new gasket. I got so busy doing all this today that I forgot to get any pictures of the process, but here are some from yesterday.

Ignition Module 1.jpg

Ignition Module 2.jpg

Eng paint B4 front.jpg

Eng paint B4 right.jpg

Eng Paint after left.jpg

Eng Paint after right.jpg

Today we tried to install an Edelbrock 14in air filter on to the stock carburator useing an adaptor kit. The problem I have run into is that the bolt that holds the air filter houseing on isn't long enough to come up through the lid. Can I replace the lid hold down bolt assembly with one thats longer? It appears to simply slide down and clip into the top of the carb. Does any one know where I can get a longer one or have any other suggestions?

Air Filter before.jpg

Air Filter after.jpg

base.jpg

carb.jpg

You cold get a threaded collar and piece of threaded rod, thread a nut onto the existing carb to filter bolt, then the collar - locking the nut to the collar, then the piece of threaded rod into the collar locked by another nut and trim to length needed to place the wing nut on. Be careful it doesn't hit the underside of the hood. Or, see if you can remove the existing cab bolt from the mount and replace with a bolt locked in place by a nut between the mount and the bottom of the bolt.

Yesterday when I went to the salvage yard, I found a 1978 Dodge 4X4 (Swamp Stomper) that had been pretty well gutted but I saw an Accel Super Stock coil on top of the motor and went and got my tools and pulled it off and brought it home to put on Jeffrey's car. We wanted to buy one anyways so instead of paying $35 for a new one, I paid $7.50 from the yard. I waxed it up and repainted the old bracket before re-installing it on Jeffreys motor.
We also replaced every vacuum hose on the motor, which equalled about 12 feet total of varied hose sizes. We also picked up a new distributor cap and rotor. The Accel wires we picked up today and installed. We crossed our fingers and Jeffrey fired up the car. Talk about a huge difference! The car runs much smoother at idle and sounds better as well. The side benefit being it looks much better as well.
Amazing what some elbow grease, paint, all new hoses and a little dress up does for the engine bay! . We're on the look out for some chrome valve covers which should be the final goodies for the engine. Next weekend we will replace the fuel line hose and the fuel filter will be replaced with a chrome filter and the battery ground cable will be replaced as well. Eventually a chrome master brake cover will be added but that will be once we tackle all the brake system stuff.

donor truck.jpg

Jeff installs Edelbrock filter.jpg

C4 left.jpg

C4 right.jpg

Nice project, nicer still you and your son are spending quality time together. Keep this thread going!

Other than the rear "bumble-bee" stripe seen on many Darts/Swingers, were there ever any stripe kits that ran down the side of the car? If not in 1974, would any other years work as well?
Next on our to-do list is replaceing the old chipped valve covers with chrome Edelbrock ones that will match the air filter houseing. Of course pictures will be posted as soon as the work is done which might not be till next month since it might be part of a Christmas present package.

It's coming along nicely!

Did you replace the radiator hoses and if so what part numbers did you use? I also have a 74 318 that had the rad replaced with a 22" from a /6. I need to replace hoses as well.

FrostyGreen318,
I replaced every hose on the cooling system and bought all the hoses from Auto Zone. The upper hose was a pain because they kept giving me one for a 318 radiator. I had to take in my old hose and find a close replacement in shape. The staff there let me and my two sons back behind the counter to where all the hoses hang and we tried a few till we found one that I thought would be a close fit without crimping the hose with to much of a bend. I actaully ended up cutting about 1-2inch from the end that connected to the radiators opening. However it fits great. I went back through my receipts and I believe the following are the correct numbers for the hoses.
Upper hose is L-059, Kelly Springfield $11.99
Bottom hose is L-112, Kelly Springfield $14.99
By Pass hose is S-3010 Kelly Springfield $4.99
Thermostat was a stock replacement DuroLast

I hope this helps.

wow!!! great looking 74! i have one also the same year. nice to see a father son project, it reminds me of my first one which was a 73 and i had the same ralley wheels also. wow how time flys, it's been 16 years since we bought that one.... wow! as for the center caps, yes those are the correct ones for 73 and up the other ones are for the 70-72 cars. I believe because of the smaller bolt pattern.as for the stripes, i don't believe there was anthing that went down the side of the car for the swinger. there was a 340 stripe that dusters and dart sports had. body lines are probably the same if not real close as the swinger.... keep up the good work and keep the posts coming too!

Thanks much for the part numbers. That gives me a good start. I wasn't looking forward to searching through all those hoses.

Keep up the good work!!

..this thread just tickles my gizzard. This is so cool to see the fun you and your son are having. I have always said a little elbow grease and a few new peices will make a car stand out even when its not show quality... My duster was that same green and for 10 years i polished the crap out of it and always got compliments on how clean the car looked despite its dings and dents and rust. Keep up the good work and thanks for taking the time to put up the photos. I dig it.

-RPM

RPM, glad you like the thread. Right now we're in a break on the work due to other commitments and the holidays fast approaching. I believe over the Thanksgiving weekend we'll replace the rubber fuel lines and filter as well as the batteries ground cable, nothing major but all the small stuff adds up to better performance and good looks.
Jeffrey already has plans to show the car at local shows as soon as we're able. Probably in the "under-construction" class or something similar.
I enjoy taking pictures because I believe a picture is indeed worth a thousand words. Glad you like the thread and we will indeed keep it going.

My son and I worked on the Dart today but only did a few small things. We replaced the old soft fuel lines from the pump up to the carb with 3/8in Goodyear lines. Out went the old filter as well with a chrome and glass see-through filter that has a replaceable inner filter.
The batteries old clamps looked horrible and the grounding cables insulation was so old and dried out that it was flaking off and had bare wire showing. We replaced it with a Duralast, 25in, 4 gauge cable. The small ground wire that also comes out was replaced with 10 gauge wire.
My son was bothered by the finger prints on the air filter and was wiping them off with his tee-shirt, haha. With the hood up and sitting on the street, every time someone drove by the would rubber neck to get a view of the engine and car as they drove by.

Fuel Line old.jpg

Fuel Line new.jpg

Battery cable old.jpg

Battery Cable new.jpg

air filter clean.jpg

car eng bay.jpg

car front.jpg

car rear.jpg

Great work, just looked at complete post for first time and you have come a ways with the car. Looks great keep up the good work

Happy Thanksgiving to all! What would turkey day be with out good food, football, and working on the Mopar in your driveway?! We didn't do a great deal except replace some fasteners for the rubber piece between the front bumper and fender. The front license plate bracket needed to have some bolts replaced as well. However we did decide to remove the hot air shield from the right manifold since we are not useing the old air filter houseing any more. It was held in place by three- 7/16 bolts which I'm sure had never been removed in 35+ years. One bolt snapped off as soon as we torqued on it. No big deal since I didn't plan in reinstalling it. Supriseingly the bottom one came off very easily as did the rear bolt. The removal of this sheild does seem to further enhance the appearance of the engine bay with less clutter.
We still want to polish out and wax the passenger side of the car over this holiday weekend if we get the time.

HOT AIR SHEILD SHOWN.jpg

HOT AIR SHEILD GONE.jpg

thought you might like to see this as it looks like an almost twin of yours. maybe you can get some ideas and insperation from the photos. follow this link: http://www.bonhamchrysler.com/
look under classics on the left and scroll down till you see the dart. click on "window sticker" and you will see all of the pics....

Snap1.jpg

Snap2.jpg

-
Back