1974 Dart

-
I cant keep it running long enough to do that hahahah. im working alone.
the Fast idle cam will be your friend.
The PCV is a controlled air leak. You can pinch it off. If the idle speed goes up, you probably have a leak somewhere else; if it goes down,probably not.
The choke blade is an enrichener. So is a rag over the airhorn. If you begin to close off the air intake, and the rpm goes up, she's getting air from somewhere else that she shouldn't be...... Or the valve timing is out,lol. Or the valve springs are really weak.
For now; just loosen the distributor, grab the Vcan and pull on her to give it enough advance to idle. Dont't worry about the numbers, it's really hard to over-advance at idle. Just pull until the idle speed stops rising or the can runs into an obstruction.

Last edited:
Leaking fuel under the linkage at the base of the carb. Thatll do it too huh? Guess ill grab a new gasket tomorrow and try again.

20180625_125013.jpg

the Fast idle cam will be your friend.
The PCV is a controlled air leak. You can pinch it off. If the idle speed goes up, you probably have a leak somewhere else; if it goes down,probably not.
The choke blade is an enrichener. So is a rag over the airhorn. If you begin to close off the air intake, and the rpm goes up, she's getting air from somewhere else that shoulsn't be...... Or the valve timing is out,lol. Or the valve springs are really weak.
For now; just loosen the distributor, grab the Vcan and pull on her to give it enough advance to idle. Dont't worry about the numbers, it's really hard to over-advance at idle. Just pull until the idle speed stops rising or the can runs into an obstruction.
other than the pcv. I have no idea what that means. cap on or off to loosen the distributor?

other than the pcv. I have no idea what that means. cap on or off to loosen the distributor?
Cap on, the retaining bolt is underneath the body of the D, holding the "horseshoe clamp down,onto the engine.

I would really like to know the current idle vacuum reading, before advancing the timing, and again after..

Last edited:
-
Back