1974 Duster Question - Leave Original?

-

marianamaya

Reaction score
Guys,

I wanted to pose a question and get your feedback as you are the most knowledgeable Mopar guys around.

Here is my story: I have 2 Mopar A-bodies - a 1972 Dart Swinger that is in pieces - Stripped down to the shell. Over the past several years, I have been rebuilding components in my spare time in preparation for rebuilding the car. I have many parts complete and ready to go, but I am stuck on the body work. It needs the usual rear quarters, general body work & paint. I just haven't had the time or energy to get that part of the project going.

That being said, I also have a 1974 318 Duster that is a great survivor. 318 car with air (that I had fixed). Interior is perfect. Car just needs some bodywork done on the right quarter panel that needs to be redone and it really needs a repaint. Everything works and I would not be afraid to drive this car anywhere.

They both need body work and paint.

So here is the question: Do focus on the Duster? Do I drop the 340 / 4 speed set up in it with the 8.75 Sure-grip, bucket seats, etc.? Or do I build both and put the Edelbrock top end kit on the 318 with a sure grip diff in the 8.25" rear end?

I am stuck because I like the originality of the Duster, but at the end of the day it's an 318 Duster driver - not too exciting. Keeping the car original seems important. I feel like it should be my main focus with this car, but I am not sure that it should be. What do you guys think? Let me know.

if the duster needs body and paint work then screw keeping it original in my opinion.. build the ***** how ya like it.. in the end its a 74 318 duster.. have fun with it..

If I dropped the 340 4 speed in the 74 I'd be afraid I'd never touch the 72 again...except maybe to swap the front end onto the 74

If that 340 4-speed belongs to the swinger, leave it with the Swinger. Make that Duster a fun Driver. Spend time making the Swinger perfect.

Unless you have a pocket full of cash enjoy the Duster as is and finish the Dart. Building two cars at once doesn't work for the average guy, ask me.

decide what gives YOU the fun factor. sounds like the 318 does not offer the excitement you want. I say do not worry over originality. a '74 318 duster which is original is not some sort after mega buck rare project car. sounds like the Swinger is something you want totally restored? so keep plugginh away at it, and make the Duster a NOW in TIME cruiser like you want>

For the duster, Patch that rear. Paint it. Anything you may think it needs for replacing soon, replace it. Drive that 318 til your swinger ready to roll
Pics always help the arguement.

Last edited:
I'm the 2nd owner of a '74 Duster myself. 48K on the clock. The 318 was an option, but the rust came as standard equipment in Columbus. When I wake up in the morning, she's still a one-option Duster. If the $$'s ever come, I'm going to fix her to be a fun 4-speed car. Since it sounds like the Duster is going to be the easiest to get on the road, I would do that first. If you'd be happier with the Dart as your hot rod, you can sell the Duster and use the $$ on the Dart.

Drive the Duster as is and keep working on the Dart. Duster is running and sounds respectable the way it is. Tearing it apart will result in two projects with neither running. Let me guess, you probably bought the Duster because the Dart wasn't together yet and you figured that it would be a while before it would so let's have something to enjoy in the meantime.

The Duster will never be a money car because of the year so do with it what you want. Build it to make you happy and enjoy it.

I'm of the opinion that it will only be original once.
I have a survivor car and one that has been molested.
I've resisted the urge to tweek or change the survivor car even with minor things like a change of wheels. The car just didn't come that way.
In the end, its your car, do what you want, I won't judge, but I think the pool of original cars is getting pretty small.

I'm of the opinion that it will only be original once.
I have a survivor car and one that has been molested.
I've resisted the urge to tweek or change the survivor car even with minor things like a change of wheels. The car just didn't come that way.
In the end, its your car, do what you want, I won't judge, but I think the pool of original cars is getting pretty small.
I love true survivors, but those are so few. and to me, survivor is pretty much original panels, drive train, interior...... and remember, changes can be and and if someone so desires, it can be put back to original. just keep the original drivetrain stored n a corner.
with cars that will never be worth that much, having fun with your car is the real point.....too many people try to make these cars into investments when they are not!?
my second mopar I scored in mid 80;s was a n original AAR cuda. PO had changed it over to 4 speed with all factory parts, from a (rare col auto. ) matching eng, I loved the fact he changed it to 4 banger! would not then NOR now changed any of it!!!!!!!!

-
Back