1974 duster spindle help

-

Cam1399

Reaction score
I have a 1974 duster 360. I have been rebuilding the front end and got to the driver side spindle. It appears a bearing froze up at some time and ate up the spindle pretty bad. I am unsure how long ago. The bearing in it now was good. I am having a very hard time locating a new or used spindle for it. Do they make aftermarket for the 74 a bodies or will a B or E body spindle work with control arms? Does anyone have an a body driver side spindle for sale? Thank you

Sorry didn’t see the out of stock. Maybe call Cass and talk to him at Dr Diff. He may have a lead time on parts.

I have a 1974 duster 360. I have been rebuilding the front end and got to the driver side spindle. It appears a bearing froze up at some time and ate up the spindle pretty bad. I am unsure how long ago. The bearing in it now was good. I am having a very hard time locating a new or used spindle for it. Do they make aftermarket for the 74 a bodies or will a B or E body spindle work with control arms? Does anyone have an a body driver side spindle for sale? Thank you
'73-4 Ebody uses the same spindle.

How bad is the spindle? Post up a pic. The bearing doesn't spin on it (not under normal circumstances).

B8228A71-3460-4FE9-B2DA-F6E1103DC716.jpeg
9C7FDD94-81D4-40D3-9EC6-29566E34086E.jpeg

Yeah, I wouldn't want to use that either. Even if it's straight and didn't lose much material, it may have gotten hot enough to change the temper and make it brittle.

yeah that is what I thought too. I think I located one at a local junk yard

Also, make sure that the spindle you get is the same. There were tall and short versions. You can use either one, but I don't think I'd mix them.

What do you propose to use the Locktite on, and how would that keep the end of the spindle from breaking off?

That almost looks like the tip of the spindle has been broken off and welded back on. Look closely how the slot is misaligned right at the crack. It's almost like they got it slightly out of line when they welded it back on.

If the outer bearing race is spinning in the hub, you need a new hub.....or are you talking about the outer bearing cone? Even still, if the spindle got hot enough to gall, the bearing cone will probably not sit square and will probably fail prematurely. I don't know how you would ever get that rotor back off again if the cone is glued to the spindle. If the spindle end turned purple, it will also be more fragile and more likely to fracture.

If the outer bearing race is spinning in the hub, you need a new hub.....or are you talking about the outer bearing cone? Even still, if the spindle got hot enough to gall, the bearing cone will probably not sit square and will probably fail prematurely. I don't know how you would ever get that rotor back off again if the cone is glued to the spindle. If the spindle end turned purple, it will also be more fragile and more likely to fracture.

Hey man, my better half is always reminding me to tone down the sarcasm, so the JB weld was meant as a joke. But I have successfully used red lock tite on trailer spindles and hubs, but yea probably not as ugly as this one! Glad the OP has another one lined up!

-
Back