1974 Duster

-
Car float level has been reset along with tighening up the drop, been packing the "track box" the last few hours with spares and tools.

Very close to being ready, just waiting on a few odds and ends.

Time to dust off the helmet and jacket and do some racing boys!

Car still flames out after doing a burnout, very odd! Doesn't stall when hitting the brakes hard when coming to a stop though. Still feels like fuel dumping.

Aside for a few odds and ends should be ready to go racing, track box is ready along with a new tool bag and spare parts box. Now when I go in the future just have to load and go.

The only thinks I'm waiting for now are some slightly longer wheel studs for the 8.25" and a lever adapter for the 750 carb off the GTX.

Installed the longer studs for safety (see picture) no problems with the shoulder hitting any of the three rims I tested fitted. RockAuto came through as usual!

The carb adapter came in and I tried the 750 AFB on the car, it was suprisingly a little lean on the primary side. Car really didn't seem to run any different at WOT but the throttle seemed a bit chrisper.

I reinstalled the 625, if there is time at the track I'll try swapping them. Won't take long, 5 minutes tops.

Tinkered with the kickdown linkage a bit (a mashup of 69, 70 and 74 parts) with the torch and installed a temporary tach.

Surprised the engine is turning less RPM then I thought, the 904 shifts at 4500 rpm at WOT. I'll have to try some manual shifting at 5000 rpm and see if the car goes faster or not.

Duster ran 14.2's at 94 mph like clockwork today.

Car barks the 10 x 26 slicks hard on launch, I had to lower the tire pressure to 9 psi to get some hook!

My power wheel states 249 whp based on ET, 235 whp based on mph (car with me in it is 3610 lbs on the scales.)

Not shabby, my buddy from KRC Performance states a stock Dakota R/T 2WD will rap out 195 to the wheels, so I'm 50 hp over a stock 5.9 motor.

The cam makes to much low end power and the 318 exhaust manifolds are just killing any top end, as I expected.

Tried jacking the timing about, it liked what I had it set at from the git-go, 36 degrees total. Tried 34 and 38 and the mph fell off both times.

Car really didn't care if it had the stock air cleaner or an open unit. If I had more time I'd run the 750 cfm AFB but there was no more passes to be made before heading for home.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMRI_DhiCqw"]YouTube - Plymouth Duster vs Dodge Super Bee[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ag59koqrF4"]YouTube - Duster vs Charger R/T, Mopar Day at Lebanon Valley dragstrip[/ame]

Another video before heading off to bed!

Thinking of hitting the Valley again on the 24th with 340 manifolds and open pipes, anyone else going?

Pictures from the last Colchester cruise, only one left in the area and thats Ralphs in Berlin on Saturday!

Attachments

• DSCN2360a.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 837
  • DSCN2362a.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 847
  • DSCN2364a.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 843
Not much going on- Did flush the cooling system, cleaned out the reserve tank with uncooked rice and bleach, now have fresh coolant good till -25F

Had a nice drive for an hour to Tractor Supply Co. with the kids, they had a blast.

Going to start pulling the 318 exhaust manifolds this week and install the bigger units. Since I have a month or two before the weather gets nice I should have plenty of time to get the front pipes done!

Going to start pulling the 318 exhaust manifolds this week and install the bigger units. Since I have a month or two before the weather gets nice I should have plenty of time to get the front pipes done!

Get 'r dun! :thumbup:

Get 'r dun! :thumbup:

Did some garage cleaning yesterday before the big storm hit and turned the car around. Need another day to shuffle some stuff about and I'll be ready to get started.

I'd really like to do a cam swap too but will restrain myself so I can document the change from small manifolds to the bigger units.

I'd really like to do a cam swap too but will restrain myself so I can document the change from small manifolds to the bigger units.

I can understand that, I am doing wholesale changes to my Duster including EFI (if I don't lose heart). I don't have any baseline numbers like you though.

Curious to see what the change does.

Tossed the gel-cell reproduction battery from Summit in the car today, heading up to Ralphs tonight!

Attachments

• DSCN4786x.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 726
First cruise to the Berlin Turnpike! An excellent turnout for the first weekend, a bunch showed up after we arrived a bit on the early side.

Attachments

• DSCN4787.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 724
Finally got to drive mine a couple of weeks ago when I brought it home. Dropped the EFI setup and stuck to a ThermoQuad as I needed to get it running. Time will tell if I even try to go EFI on the car.

Need to fix somethings before I can really drive it, but sure was nice to finally get it moving.

Glad to hear you are still making progress. Did you ever swap the manifolds and test the changes?

Glad to hear you are still making progress. Did you ever swap the manifolds and test the changes?

Not yet, I got tied up for 6 weeks gutting, insulating, new windows and sheetrocking my daughters room.

Room came out very nice and stays as warm as toast.

Considering EFI for the Duster, those Pro Parts kits have come WAAAAAAAYYYYYY down in price!

Flat out on the Dart now (pulling the old motor even as we speak) aiming to have the Dart COMPLETED by July. Doubt it will happen but if you watch the Dart thread you can see I'm giving it a run for the money.

While the Dart is at the body shop I'll be reskinning the seats, freshing the motor, assembling the 8.75 and resealing the 4-speed.

Woot! Full speed ahead!

Finally found a NOS rear emblem for the trunklid..

Attachments

• DSCN4913x.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 643
New NAPA classic series 15 inch wipers Very nice pieces, now I have to go out and get a second set for the Dart.

Attachments

• DSCN5322.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 568
  • DSCN5323.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 566
Do you have a part number for the wipers? Or are they listed for the 74 Duster? I need to buy a set as mine lift off the windshield at around 50 mph. How much were they?

Thanks,
Mike

Do you have a part number for the wipers? Or are they listed for the 74 Duster? I need to buy a set as mine lift off the windshield at around 50 mph. How much were they?

Thanks,
Mike

Receipt is out in the garage, I'll get the price and part number today. I think they were 11 bucks a pop.

-
Back