1974 Duster

-
Receipt is out in the garage, I'll get the price and part number today. I think they were 11 bucks a pop.

Did you just get the blades w/ stainless or did it include the arms also?

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• 3na3p63oc5V45O55Q3b7f8282b09e02001b53.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 755
  • 3o43p43l25Q55Z15R4b7f534693271fae1e09.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 718
Blades with stainless holder mount, no arm.

Just a typical refillable wiper blade assembly, except in stainless with no adapters required.

Went to Ralph's cruise last night after detailing the car up, great turnout! Picked up a Feather Duster rear bumper to re-chrome and swap out, need to check with a few shops to find out what the current going rate is.

Attachments

• ralphs cruise aug 2011 a.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 708
  • ralphs cruise aug 2011 b.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 709
You get the aluminum bracket with the bumper, or just the skin? If you got the whole thing, nice score.

I put FD aluminum supports on my Duster years ago when I own a Feather Duster. Sure was a difference in weight.

You get the aluminum bracket with the bumper, or just the skin? If you got the whole thing, nice score.

I put FD aluminum supports on my Duster years ago when I own a Feather Duster. Sure was a difference in weight.

Got the whole thing =)

Let us know what the present re-chrome rate is. Its been about 30 years since I had anything done and I'd prefer to "not" paint my bumpers due to cost . . .

Need to tear down the engine in the next week or two- Either the fuel pump is failing or the Hughes fuel pump adapter is having issues. Some sort of metallic knocking noise can be heard when the car is warmed up at idle towards the right side. Really loud at the fuel pump when you use the stethoscope.

Will warm up the car then pull all the belts, run and check. At that point will then pull the fuel pump off and re-run to see if the noise goes away. Engine has been flawless for two years, I suspect the problem is in this area.

I have a new cam for the car with more moxy, so don't mind pulling everything apart, just bad timing. Might change over to electric pump at the same time, never really did like the adapter.

I had a noise from my fuel pump area, too. I'm running a magnum roller in my early block with hughes lifters and fuel pump eccentric adapter, so pretty similar to your setup. I replaced the fan clutch and alternater, before I figured out it was from the pump. Pulled mine and replaced it, which made no difference. In the end, what I found was that the pump arm was rubbing on the timing chain.

My theory is, with a flat tappet cam, the cam is being pushed back into the block, so no issues with clearance between the fuel pump arm and the timing chain. Replace the cam with a roller, and now the cam floats in and out of the block. If the clearances are too tight, the chain hits the arm and makes a racket. I had to smack the arm on my pump to clearance it, no noise since then.

No idea why it would show up later, though. Maybe it's a completely different problem.

I had a noise from my fuel pump area, too. I'm running a magnum roller in my early block with hughes lifters and fuel pump eccentric adapter, so pretty similar to your setup. I replaced the fan clutch and alternater, before I figured out it was from the pump. Pulled mine and replaced it, which made no difference. In the end, what I found was that the pump arm was rubbing on the timing chain.

No idea why it would show up later, though. Maybe it's a completely different problem.

You called it. (see picture)

I pulled the belts off the car (no change) then fired it up with the pump out, the noise was then completely gone. I'm thinking that the reason the noise showed up after a year was due to slack building up in the timing chain as miles accrued on the engine. The slack in the chain lets the cam move back and forth further in the block striking the pump.

Back in the day I use to have either a Carter or Holley pump with a thin arm with a pad on the end, I suspect that extra clearance would make the problem go away. In my case I'm going to simply run an electric pump and change out the mild roller cam with something with a bit more bite while I'm at it.

BWHAHAHAHA! When handed lemons, make lemonade.

Attachments

• DSCN5520.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 642
Glad you found the problem.

Am I remembering incorrectly, or are you going EFI later? Been a long weekend, probably getting mixed up.

Glad you found the problem.

Am I remembering incorrectly, or are you going EFI later? Been a long weekend, probably getting mixed up.

I would at some point, getting the Dart on the road and garage up will come before that though. Will get the overdrive before that point too.

I'm not a happy camper, see video below.

My advice to anyone considering to use one of these adapters is to DO NOT. The bolt was properly torqued on and there was a liberal dose of loctite red applied.

If this would have let go while I was out of state last month I would have been up sh*t creek.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxK8fQ_0M6Y"]Dodge truck magnum engine cam snout extension failure. - YouTube[/ame]

Picture of the engine open, had not planned on seeing this so soon! Should have the new cam installed tomorrow if all goes well.

Attachments

• DSCN5543.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 622
I'm not a happy camper, see video below.

My advice to anyone considering to use one of these adapters is to DO NOT. The bolt was properly torqued on and there was a liberal dose of loctite red applied.

If this would have let go while I was out of state last month I would have been up sh*t creek.

Hmm...well that's disturbing.

Any pictures of the parts after you removed them? What exactly failed?

Not yet, I got tied up for 6 weeks gutting, insulating, new windows and sheetrocking my daughters room.

Room came out very nice and stays as warm as toast.

Considering EFI for the Duster, those Pro Parts kits have come WAAAAAAAYYYYYY down in price!

Flat out on the Dart now (pulling the old motor even as we speak) aiming to have the Dart COMPLETED by July. Doubt it will happen but if you watch the Dart thread you can see I'm giving it a run for the money.

While the Dart is at the body shop I'll be reskinning the seats, freshing the motor, assembling the 8.75 and resealing the 4-speed.

Woot! Full speed ahead!

got any links to the pro-parts stuff? i tried a quick google search, but came up with nothing.

Hmm...well that's disturbing.

Any pictures of the parts after you removed them? What exactly failed?

No idea, will take a picture after the car is running again. Just going to go back to the factory stuff (which I saved) Dying to hear the car running with a new cam.

Cam is in! Went with a Comp Cams XR265HR-14. Went back to the stock rockers (was running 1.7 roller) and got the intake on. Hope to have it test fired tomorrow.

Ready to set myself on fire- Come home ready to work and the damn power is out again.

On the road again! Running with new cam and electric fuel pump.

Little choppy at idle, excellent mid range and top end. I don't think I lost any torque down low either.

-
Back