1974 Plymouth Scamp (#2)

-
Reaction score
I already have a '74 Scamp in my driveway that I was going to restore but I never got it finished. (I basically got it to start, then pulled the engine and there it sits.)

I just got my license so I wanted a car to drive to school ASAP and the block in my Dakota cracked so that is off the list. So, I bought a running '74 Scamp for $2800. Nice paint job, nice interior. Runs.

The Bad: blinkers don't work, needed new tires (done), cabin light problems, loose steering, and none of the gauges in the dash work. I was hoping to get at least the blinkers fixed because then it would be good to drive to school (tomorrow) but they still don't work.

I replaced all the light bulbs, except the headlights and they are nice and bright, and replaced the hazard flasher unit and the signal flasher unit to no avail.

PS it has a slant six 225.

Photo-0038.jpg

Do the marker lights work with the headlights on?

Make sure the correct type bulbs are installed in the sockets, sometimes a dual filament bulb in the wrong place can cause issues. I also had some problems with the lights in my 73 dart sport. Turned out the new bulbs I installed - one of them was faulty, tore my hair out finding the issue.

Ive seen where the connector from the dash harness to the column harness will heat up and burn the connection making an open circuit, check that, its right under the column near the dash, take the trim plate off the bottom of the dash where the column goes through. It should be very near there, there are two connectors, one for the starting circuit, the other for the turn signals, and hazard.

Start checking for problems using a volt ohm meter, look for odd resistance and grounds. Check your fuses. look for bad wiring contacts into the fuse box. When the windshield leaks on these cars sometimes it drips right into the fuse box making a mess of it.

You might also inspect your dash wiring - it sounds like its been messed with, especially since none of your guages work. Do the dash lites work ? does the high beam indicator work ? On these cars there is a round plug that fits into the back of the instrument cluster that connects all that stuff (guages, dash lites etc), maybe thats futzed ?

I will replace all of the light bulbs over this weekend and get that checked out.

The only thing on the dash that works is the e-brake light and the blinker lights.

Progress Update: Blinkers now work; but the car still won't even turn over so I will have to check the stuff under the dash like 66dartgt said.

I just replace the bad fuse and I will check the connections when the rain stops.

I had some major problems with lights on my 72 scamp too, when i replaced my rear bumper, the bulbs just decided to quit working when i put them back in: threads were lined up and everything. I ended up just having to take the bulbs out and putting them back in then out and back in over and over again until it got itsself situated... I don't know about yours, but my scamp has a tendancy to randomly decide to make certain things wuit working, and then fix itsself after a certain amount of time...

Well anyway i know my suggestion was pretty lame, but just giving my 2 cents, wish you the best of luck :D

-
Back