1974 Scamp

-

olddog12

Reaction score
So I thought it was time to start my build thread for two reasons. #1 - to share with you what Ive been working on to help explain all my questions in the tech sections and #2 - to hopefully help me by stopping me do something wrong before I do it.:eek:ops:

Before I get into the start of my build I think its important to tell you that before I bought this car I knew absolutely nothing about A bodys or even Mopars for that matter. The first picture is of my previous hobby of 15 years which I reluctantly gave up and in search of another hobby the only thing I knew was I wanted a Mopar.
Thats when a fellow FABO member put me in touch with another FABO member who had a 74 Scamp hanging on a rotissarie for the last 5-6 years and enough parts to almost build two cars, well after talking to him then driving the 4 hours one way to look at it I came to the conclusion...Im buying my first Mopar!

Attachments

• version2 123.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 283
So before I got the car the PO had already done most of the hard stuff like replace all the floor pans, install sub frame connectors, also installed outriggers, widen the wheel wells, repaired or replaced any metal on the body that required to be replace. He even went so far as to change the marker lights to the 70 Dart style. Here is how it looked the first day I got it home.

Attachments

• 543.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 338
When we went to get the car I rented a 26' U-haul truck and took my quad cab ram to put everything in. It took my father in law, brother, the PO & myself almost 5 hours to load the two trucks with all the parts. The PO did a great job of either detailing on each box what it was or told me as it was walking past to go on the truck lol.

The car was complete prior to its restoration being started and was originally a /6. However the slant was long gone and a 440 w/727 and 8 3/4 cam with the car.

If your interested in the work the PO did (which is simply awesome) he had a build thread as well, BIGDOG is his name.

Here are some pictures of when I first started to re-assemble the car. From day one Ive decided to basically clean, inspect, paint or replace if necessary each part.

Attachments

• 554.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 277
  • 553.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 270
  • 552.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 286
  • 550.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 278
  • 549.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 281
  • 547.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 280
  • 544.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 275
After considering that I will be driving the car as much as I can during the summer when its completed and also deciding the body color would be some form of white I decided to do the whole floor area and wheel wells in black.

So after the underside was painted I decided to first paint the under the hood, trunk area and since it was there I sprayed the inside of the car in white as well. I decided on a bright white that I found on a 2015 Ram, Bright Northstar White. Picked up 2 gallons in single stage and sprayed some paint.

Attachments

• 651.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 276
  • 649.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 283
  • 648.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 250
  • 647.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 285
  • 646.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 273
  • 645.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 299
After that it was finally time, 6 years of hanging on the rotissarie, to finally let her relax on some jack stands :D

Attachments

• 659.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 266
Next I decided to get her back on her feet before I hang the doors, trunk and hood. She came with the disc brake conversion from the front drums as well as the 8 3/4 with two set of gears, 3.23 & 3.91 (I think) The 3.23 was all together and until I can find someone to rebuild them for me I put the assembled one in so I could get the axles in.
I also moved the perches in to match the new spring location. Which I think I F*&$ed up cause the yoke seems kinda high to me now that its in the car. I can likely get a shim kit to fix that when I get to it. I also redrilled my 7/14 shock plates the welded a new piece over the hole off another set of plates.
Next was the leaf springs. The car came with the main leafs and thats all. I was talking to a guy who drags Mopars about some other parts he had and he told me that a set of helper leafs from a dakota would work. I thought that was interesting cause my buddy had a dakota in his yard destined for the scrap yard, so I figured for free I would give them a try!

Attachments

• DSCF2191.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 240
  • DSCF2179.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 599.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 279
Oh I forgot to mention the car was also set up by the PO for sliders to be used. After some reading on them I decided to order a set. They are an Afco set for Chrysler but not mine lol They come with a aluminum bushing that goes into the spring that was 1" od and mine was 7/8" od or something like that anyway. Its amazing what a drill press, flat file and beer can do.

The car came with 2 K frames for a v8, biscuit style. I really wanted to put the 440 in but decided that it would be smarter, and cheaper, to do that later down the road when the excitment of driving the car had wore off.
I found a 318/727 with cam & head work done that was complete from pan to carb (2 carbs in the deal actually)including manifolds for 6 bills. I went down to look at it, about 2 hours from me. It was in a 1940 Chebby truck. He told me the only thing wrong with it was it was a mopar and not GM. He fired it up and laid 2 strips 40 feet long. We unbolted it and threw it on my truck. :burnout:

Attachments

• version2 097.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 245
And this is where it sits now. It should be blue I know but I figured the orange would look so nice against the white under the hood.

Attachments

• version2 112.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 233
Nice really NICE !! I always thought white chrome and orange look great in the engine bay!
How about some pics of the trunk area with paint on it I would like to see what those wheel wells look like?
And thanks for posting keep it going.

Thanks BIG DOG! Glad you like it, here is a pic of the wheel wells. Had a guy over a couple weeks ago who has a 69 Dart and that was the first thing he noticed!

Attachments

• photo123.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 196
Thank god summer is over and no more outside projects, time to close the shop door and get back on the Scamp!
Over the summer I did manage to get the suspension all in with the exception on the torsion bars, they are on the shop floor and next on the list to do.
Got the heater box in, wiper linkage & motor in, cleaned up the dash & cluster with some fresh paint and put that in. Also got the steering column in the car too.

Attachments

• c.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 201
  • cars.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 166
  • s.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 183
I found a flowmaster 2.5 universal exhaust kit that is brand new, came with Flowmaster 40's, these only have breakin time on them a few hours away and for 300 bucks, including a 19" OE rad, I figured I should go get it.
I know they will be pretty loud but I can always change them down the road.

Attachments

• 20150902_125638.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 179
that dash looks like it just came off the show room floor, wish my 72 scamp dash looked that good, great build, keep up the great work

Demon Scamp

Its been a while but heres a small update on progress. Seems like it takes 2 months to get 4 progress pictures sometimes!

Exhaust was fun. No it wasnt, those of us who work off jack stands should get a thumbs up for how many dam times you go under and back to the bench, then repeat, repeat, repeat...

My springs are moved in and I wanted the tail pipes out the back, that was a bit tricky. The 2 1/2" pipe also wouldnt fit past the starter and steering linkage so I put a mini starter on and made it work. My DS manifold is not the correct manifold but all worked out.

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 209
  • tail pipes 2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 112
  • tail pipes.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 115
Also ran all the brake lines & fuel line. I have a bit more electrical to finish up then the transmission lines then start the old girl up hopefully.

Here is a picture of the old vs. mini starter. I also picked up a couple gauges, I just didnt want to trust the 40 year old gauges.

Attachments

• engine shot.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 120
  • oldnew starter.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 152
  • gauges.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 127
Great project! Looking real good. What manifold are you using on the drivers side?

Manifold is 3870337. I dont remember exactly what car I pulled it off of.

I bet that is very close to the steering shaft! The top one here would sure make it easier...

HP.jpg

It is very close to the steering shaft yes. I have it on my list of things to keep an eye on when I finally get to driving it next year. If its a problem the one you have pictured is I believe the correct manifold and I will track one of those down.
Thanks for the kind words on the car as well!

If you ever need a manifold Treblig on here is the guy that can usually hook you up. Those tubs look great!

-
Back