1978 Aspen Super Coupe, what's underneath them?

-

TylerW

Reaction score
Hey guys:

I got a dude offering to trade me a '78 Aspen Super Coupe roller for what's left of my old '68 Fury convertible. The Aspen is ratty and doesn't T-Tops, so it's not of interest to me(I know there were only 531 made).

What I AM interested in is the rearend and suspension, because my civilian Gran Fury sorely needs the T-bars and 3.21 rear. What's actually under those, a 7-1/4 or 8-1/4? Steering box any better?

My G.F. is a nice clean car but it has the must underwhelming suspension and steering of any Mopar I've driven and that includes a few trucks and several B-vans.

Thanks!

8.25 rear. The spring perches are not the same as an A body, but very close. A lot of people just move the springs in or out and bolt them in. Forget the torsion bars. It's a completely different suspension. It has lateral torsion bars that run perpendicular to the vehicle center line. Completely different from an A body.

I tell you what I would do. Rather than destroy a fairly rare car......even if it's ratty, sell it to an Aspen guy. It shouldn't be hard to sell and you should be able to get enough for it to more than cover what you need for your car.

Rust... that’s what is under an Aspen. T bars are the same size as your fury’s and rear gears are most likely 2.7s steering box will be the same as what you have.

They are the same if the Gran Fury is an M body

3 cars in his post.... 78 Aspen, 68 fury and the girl friends gran fury.
First year for a gran fury was around 75 as a C body, they they used the name on R bodies and after that M bodies until 89.

First year for a gran fury was around 75 as a C body, they they used the name on R bodies and after that M bodies until 89.

Oh ok. I somehow missed the GF's car. I'm blind.

Those lateral torsion bar suspensions make a nice compact set-up for custom hot rods.

Those lateral torsion bar suspensions make a nice compact set-up for custom hot rods.
LOL...I think I made this thread unintentionally confusing.

I have a 1987 Plymouth Gran Fury, the M-body version like the Fifth Avenue and the Diplomat. It is a standard "Salon". The trade offer for my OLD Fury parts car is a 1978 Dodge Aspen Super Coupe, which is reported to have standard 3.21 gears, heavy-duty suspension and a rear sway-bar.

I'm viewing this as a cheap way to replace the 2.26 rear and floppy-c**k suspension that is standard on these M-bodies, but I would like to know more about what constitutes HD suspension.

The Super Coupe is rusty and ratty all around, although it still has the fender flares. Maybe an "Aspen guy" would like to have it, but my experience with selling rusty, not-so-desirable Mopars is that it is a waste of time. Thanks again.

I have a 1987 Plymouth Gran Fury, the M-body version like the Fifth Avenue and the Diplomat. It is a standard "Salon". The trade offer for my OLD Fury parts car is a 1978 Dodge Aspen Super Coupe, which is reported to have standard 3.21 gears, heavy-duty suspension and a rear sway-bar.

I'm viewing this as a cheap way to replace the 2.26 rear and floppy-c**k suspension that is standard on these M-bodies, but I would like to know more about what constitutes HD suspension.

The Super Coupe is rusty and ratty all around, although it still has the fender flares. Maybe an "Aspen guy" would like to have it, but my experience with selling rusty, not-so-desirable Mopars is that it is a waste of time. Thanks again.
No you didn't. I was just saying you could sell the suspension to a hot rodder. Maybe. I know the old Ford pickup guys used em. That was a long time ago. Might be crap today, LOL

Are you sure there is a girlfriends car in there...or Did he refer to his grand fury as a G.F. and us tech savvy guys assumed he meant girlfriend?

Are you sure there is a girlfriends car in there...or Did he refer to his grand fury as a G.F. and us tech savvy guys assumed he meant girlfriend?
I don’t know..... do I fly off the bridge like in the holly grail movie now?

Hey guys:

I got a dude offering to trade me a '78 Aspen Super Coupe roller for what's left of my old '68 Fury convertible.

What I AM interested in is the rearend and suspension, because my civilian Gran Fury sorely needs the T-bars and 3.21 rear gears.

My G.F. is a nice clean car
Thanks!

My take on this is there’s 3 cars involved - the Aspen, the 68 Fury and his civilian Gran Fury AKA as his G.F.

Get rid of the rubber iso clamp crap on the rear axle and replace the k mounting with metal if it has those rubber biscuits.

Replace all bushings with polyurethane. Good shocks.

That'll do the trick

Yeah, I think you mightta hit on somethin. lol

My take on this is there’s 3 cars involved - the Aspen, the 68 Fury and his civilian Gran Fury AKA as his G.F.

I don't know what the guy looks like, but I bet he can find a lot better lookin girlfriend than a Gran Fury.

No you didn't make it confusing, I did. I only have one eye left over from a bobcat attack I survived as a child. That's why sometimes I miss things when reading, or completely miss the meaning of certain posts. I am also dyslexic, so I am double F'ed up......to top that off, I was involved in an explosion many years ago at work and lost about 65% of my hearing, which is getting gradually worse as time goes on. I have always heard the ears and eyes work in conjunction and now I have definitive proof.

Oh and before you hack the Super Coupe all to hell, let me say this one last thing. I have been working on cars since 1974. In all that time, I have only seen TWO Super Coupes first hand. Let that sink in a second.

IMO, you should at least TRY to aim that thing at an Aspen guy. You may be pleasantly surprised. You never know, right?

Firm Feel suspension should still have big TV bars and suspension goodies for F and M bodies.

F body, that suspension have those rubber isolators. Gives it a somewhat soft ride. Those can be replaced with steel though. Now, the PS box is just mopar like been around all during the 70's. If it is a super coupe, no doubt originally came with an 8 1/4. The fender tag has code for super cope, "A" something.
Super coupes are desirable in the F world, but condition is everything.

Does the Aspen have a good grille in it? I'm looking for one of those just in case you get this and want to sell it off.

I parted a Super Coupe not long ago. I wanted the engine & wheels for myself, the car was rusty.

The car had a 8 1/4 in it with a 3.91 Sure-Grip. It had been raced some at Maple Grove & on the street also way back when. No fender tag or broadcast sheet, so not sure what it had originally.

The K-member & transverse torsion bars were scrapped, no interest from anyone at all.

-
Back