198 cars with 225s

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
is it normal to find a B code 198 slant six car with a 225.

on multiple occasions I have run into cars that show the B code on the vin for a 198, Yet under the hood is an emissions sticker saying 225 and the block checks out as a 225.

my 70 dart is one of many that were like that, LL23B0R yet it has a 225 emissions sticker and it was a 225 I took out.

I had a '72 Duster that was a 198 car and the sticker under the hood was correct and so was the engine.
A friend of mine had a '71 Scamp that was a 198 car and the sticker under the hood and the engine was correct also.....
Was your car matching numbers?
It could be that the factory ran out of 198's that day and built it anyway with a 225 instead of holding up production or setting the car to the side.

is it normal to find a B code 198 slant six car with a 225.

on multiple occasions I have run into cars that show the B code on the vin for a 198, Yet under the hood is an emissions sticker saying 225 and the block checks out as a 225.

my 70 dart is one of many that were like that, LL23B0R yet it has a 225 emissions sticker and it was a 225 I took out.

Both 198 engines and 225's have identical block heights.

The 170 is about an inch shorter.

They all have the same size piston diameter.

Therefore, it's not easy to tell a 198 from a 225 from the outside.

The stroke length and rod length is different, but you can't see any of that from the outside.

To me the "R" is the answer. I think that is a Canadian built car. I've seen more odd things on them than US built cars based on my junkyarding experiences. It's rare for the production line to stop. So if they run out of something, like 198 engines, they would likely substitute whatever they had.

the block is stamped behind the alternator on the deck. it may be hard to see with the alternator in place and is probably covered in grease but its an easy quick reference if you know where to look.

Blocks are identical so I bet it was a possibility that they ran out of 225's. If it was going down the line and something was close enough, they put it in. They didn't toss it. The only 198 I have ran across was in a 1974 duster. I don't have the rods but I actually am using the 198 block in my race slant.

I haven't, but on a different note, one of my buddies bought a mint '69 Cuda notchback from the original grandma owner and it had never been restored or painted. It was a slant 6/automatic on the column. The weird part was that it had the clutch Z-bar support bracket welded on! There were no marks on the center hole, like if the stud was ever there, and it had the exact same paint overspray and small amount of undercoating as the rest of that wheelwell. Weird stuff!

Never say never when it comes to Ma Mopar.Time and time again stuff shows up that never was.......

-
Back