1983 Dodge W150 ignition problem

-

MoparTrucker

Reaction score
So I have a 1983 dodge W150 with the 318 engine all stock, just recently got it as a starter project truck. Pretty new to mechanical work and will need some help. So the problem is it stalls and dies, I turn the key and start it turns over, and will run as long as I keep the key held down. As soon as I let off the key it stops, I was thinking at first fuel? Replaced fuel filter and broken fuel hoses didn't do anything. So my thoughts were then the ignition coil, but I tested it and has right OHMS. Gonna put new spark plugs and wires in to see if that does anything, needs a tune up anyway. Any thoughts?

ballast resister. white porcelain piece on the fire wall held on with on bolt. Plug in wires are on each side of it.

so I bought one and installed it, haven't tried to start it because replacing spark plugs and letting them sit overnight in ATF, but i read the volts on the ignition coil and its getting 12 volts, tried switching the wires around on the resistor that didn't change it. It should be reading about 8-10 volts right?

Coil POS voltage with key in "run" should be somewhere in that range. BE SURE ECU module is GROUNDED

Coil NEG should be quite low somewhere between .5 and maybe as high as 2V. That low voltage shows the coil is drawing current.

so I bought one and installed it, haven't tried to start it because replacing spark plugs and letting them sit overnight in ATF, but i read the volts on the ignition coil and its getting 12 volts, tried switching the wires around on the resistor that didn't change it. It should be reading about 8-10 volts right?

This can also be the ignition switch or the wiring between the switch and the ballast resistor/coil.
BUT, if you have 12v at the coil positive with the key in the run position it very likely was the ballast resistor.

-
Back