1986 360 Manual Flywheel Questions

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
I got a 1986 360 engine , going to put it in front of a 1968 A833 four speed. My question is what size flywheel would i have to use and from what year application? Im assuming i need to use the 10.5 diameter Clutch. thanks in advance.

Also the flywheel would have to be from a Passenger car? not from a Van or truck?

Going into a car, look for a 130 tooth.........trucks use a 143(if foggy memory serves me right) tooth

I got a 1986 360 engine , going to put it in front of a 1968 A833 four speed. My question is what size flywheel would i have to use and from what year application? Im assuming i need to use the 10.5 diameter Clutch. thanks in advance.[/QUOT[

An important question.............what is the car??

In an early "A", it takes a little work; not a huge amount; to get a bell housing in the car that allows you to swing a 10.5 clutch/pressure plate. 67 and newer cars are not a problem, do what you want

The flywheel is going to depend on what bellhousing you have and the clutch is going to depend on which flywheel you have, and the bellhousing has to match the size of the input bearing retainer on the transmission you plan on running.
For the most part small block passenger car flywheels are 130 tooth and use a 10 1/2" or 10.95 clutch. The 143 tooth flywheel is generally for truck use and takes and 11" clutch. The bigger clutch/flywheel/bellhousing stuff doesn't fit very well in an A body.

So... for the bellhousing you'll need a pass car with a 10 1/2" clutch and a 4.88 input bearing retainer hole. Measure your input bearing retainer to be sure, a 68 833 should be 4.88 but there are 3 different sizes and who knows if stuff has been mixed and matched over the years.
For the flywheel you'll need an externally ballanced 130 tooth wheel for an LA 360 (magnum 360's have a slighty different balance). Mcleod makes a nice flywheel that uses a bolt on weight for different engines which might come in handy for future engine swaps. 440 Source sells basically the same flywheel for less $$$ which also uses a bolt on ballance weight for different engines.
As for the clutch, that choice is up to you as long as it bolts to a 130 tooth flywheel.

Sounds like you might be lucky. They sell externally balanced flywheels that you should be able to bolt on and go. Get the car flywheel, not the truck flywheel or truck clutch or (bellhousing?).
Yes 10.5 clutch.
Looks like daliant beat me to the punch.

-
Back