1992 torque converters higher stall

-

red cuda

Reaction score
my transmission builder told me that starting in 92 that the factory converters have a little higher stall than previous years. but what do I need to ask at the parts store? truck? car?.......its a mild street build with cam and four barrel/ 318 engine 904 trans. wont be a strip car.

Ive never heard of that, doesnt mean its not true, most of them will be lock up converters, do you need that? There is a million places that sell converters if your going to the trouble to change it buy a good one or you will be very sorry in the long run. Plus you will only have to change it once.

Several years ago at a Low Country Mopar event a engineer who specialized in automatic trans/torque converters was invited to speak or more like conduct an educational seminar.
While his visual aids like cutaways, entire presentation, was interesting, most of the technical jargon was far beyond my comprehension. He did explain that torque converters for various applications may look the same and bolt right up, their function ( stall speeds, etc.. ) were all different, vehicle and/or duty specific.

There is a number stamped on them. Go to gopnh.com they will set you in a quality direction.

Count the number of splines on your input shaft. If it's got a 27 spline count it's a non-lockup transmissionm, if the spline count is 26, then it's a lockup style transmission, and the converters won't interchange.
If the converter that you've got now is a factory unit, it should have a decal on it.
The sticker could be a triangle shaped item, and it will say lo stall, if its round, it should say high stall on it. On a lockup converter, the sticker could be either round or sqare, and again will tell you if it's HS (for high stall) or LS (for low stall). The rpm difference is probably no more than 300-500 rpm between the factory high stall to the factory low stall. The converter will be an 11" diameter unit with a narrow ring gear, and was used in the leaning tower of power and the 318 engines.
If it's not a factory converter you've got, but a rebuilt unit, there usually is a Part number of some kind either painted on, or written on the hub side of the converter. If you send me a pm I might be able to give you further information on the converter you've got.
There are a number of high stall conveter rebuilders, some good, some not so good. Whatever brand you purchase, make sure that it is compatible with your engine/axle ratio/rear tire size set-up. As I've said in the past, a properly thought out high stall is a good $$$ investment, a poorly thought out high stall is a waste of $$$.
Good luck.

-
Back