1998 RAM 5.2L burning oil, please help

-

discharger1332

Reaction score
So my 98 ram 1500 with 5.2L is having an oil issue. less than 1000 miles on mobil 1 oil change about 3 weeks ago, and it is black and smells burnt.
I did some research and read about a plenum gasket but i do not have any of the other symptoms. such as loss of power and bad oil consumption, nor flashing check engine light.
Truck runs fine, has great oil pressure, only issue is it runs cool since i moved from so cal to washington state. but i have a 180 thermostat in and need to put a 195 in.
I am thinking i need to drop the pan and clean it out maybee?
advice please? any of you service techs seen this one?

Are your plugs fouling?
Missing oil?
Or just a burnt looking oil?

I have used Mobil One synth before and noticed it darkens quickly.

Thin , black oil soon after an oil change is normal for Mobil 1. Why, I dont know but have never had a problem.

Change the thermostat. The ECM looks at engine coolant temp to control fuel injection. Cold motor the ECM dumps more fuel in it.

i just ran a code scan, all is good no pending codes or codes. oil isnt even black still golden like honey, but smells burnt.

well the plenum thing is usually pretty easy to see. Open the throttle body to WOT and look down and see if you see any fresh oil. If you do, plenum gasket=destroyed. Sometimes they burn lots of oil, sometimes they just run "off"

Dad has a old power wagon he bought new.
360 at 213,000 miles I pulled the engine because the clutch started slipping.
He run mobile one since the first oil change.
Dad said rebuild the engine, oil was always black since first oil change.
Looked at a couple of bearings and did not touch it, no wear.
Threw a new oil pump, and timing chain in it and re-done the heads, cam still original.
The old bastard is still running at240K

goldduster- it looks like any other plenum area fuel dirty but not oily looking.
rumblefish- didnt think to check plugs, will do so and report back findings.
thank you all for any advice.

well the plenum thing is usually pretty easy to see. Open the throttle body to WOT and look down and see if you see any fresh oil. If you do, plenum gasket=destroyed. Sometimes they burn lots of oil, sometimes they just run "off"
What he said!!!!! I wound bet money that's what's wrong with yours. I put tons of them on at dodge they are not hard to do it just like 318 with more wires.:cheers:

Yup - It's normally also a sign if the engine pings a lot under load. It's as bad as the GM intake gaskets, only no coolant leaks...lol.

no pinging ever, no sign of oil in the intake looking through the throttle body. it's raining now so i will check plugs tomorow

Also check the wires - they can be difficult and I've seen cap, rotor and wires that had 100K on them when the plugs were new....

-
Back