1999 dodge ram 2500 5.9 360

-

srixon4406

TURBO TOAD
Reaction score
today in my 99 ram 2500 4x4 5.9 magnum with no real warning just kind of went into limp mode and wouldn't accelerate.
Over the last couple months the truck has been acting strange but only for the most part when at a low idle or low vacuum,like shifting the trans into rev after the truck has been running. And alot of time the turck would die i thought it was the IAC mod but that didn't cure the problem. This truck only has 78,000 miles so i thought maybe it was time for a tune up i did replace the plugs a couple weeks ago but didnt change out the cap and rotor or the wires.
The truck did run better but for some reason the truck got louder and I thought it was because I knocked the exhaust loose hauling wood but today the truck is loud and a dog and i cant figure out why. I went thru everthing and it appears to be in order. I checked the exhaust and its tight. I have heard of problems with the intake gaskets going bad and the truck running and burns oil bad is this some signs of the issues im having
Thanks Aaron

If the plenum gasket is bad you would notice that you use a lot of oil. You may not even smoke much if this is the case. At least thats how it was for me. When you say louder what do you mean? The exhaust? Do you have any holes in the exhaust before the o2 sensor? It would definitely affect performance but i think you would notice it more when driving. Any other symptoms? Using more fuel? Shifts fine?

When I say louder it started acouple weeks ago and I thought it was a exhaust leak, but it's a different sound now., and up until today no shifting issues what so ever but when I limped it home I did try to run it through the gears upshifting and downshifting but it didn't respond but i could only get the truck up to about 20mph
As for fuel the truck is a pig that only gets about 13mpg. And I haven't noticed any difference in mileage
Aaron

take the upstream O2 sensors out and drive it. Will make some noise, but will tell you if you are dealing with a clogged cat converter. Sounds like that might be what your dealing with, those trucks make a funny sound when the exhaust is restricted, and obviously have no power ...

I would also start with the cat.. To check the plenum gasket open the throttle body and shine a flashlight inside and see if you have any oil puddled in the bottom.. Have you run any codes??? Ignition on/off/on x 6....

take the upstream O2 sensors out and drive it. Will make some noise, but will tell you if you are dealing with a clogged cat converter. Sounds like that might be what your dealing with, those trucks make a funny sound when the exhaust is restricted, and obviously have no power ...

That's good thinking I beleive I counted two O2 sensors should I take both of them out?

only the ones above the cat will help ... or you can remove the headpipe from the manifolds if not too rusty !! You want to do both banks though

Sounds like a plan I've been doing some research and it looks like a pretty common problem and alot of people have had the same signs as me I have to work today but I'm hoping to take a look at the truck later

It's always something I should be working on the valiant not the truck oh well what can you do
Thanks all
Aaron

OK guys and gals I pulled the o2 sensor in the upstream of the cat and the truck does run better and is driveable. Also I took a coat hanger and slide it into the o2 bung and I could feel what felt like a loose canister.
What's my opitions here does anybody make cat delete kit?
I don't want to spend a bunch of money right now I do have plans to mount a single turbo on this truck but not for a couple months.
Thanks again
Aaron

Go to your local muffler shop, they should be able to replace it for a decent price. Somewhere around $300, that's what they charge over here.

OK guys and gals I pulled the o2 sensor in the upstream of the cat and the truck does run better and is driveable. Also I took a coat hanger and slide it into the o2 bung and I could feel what felt like a loose canister.
What's my opitions here does anybody make cat delete kit?
I don't want to spend a bunch of money right now I do have plans to mount a single turbo on this truck but not for a couple months.
Thanks again
Aaron

Have a local muffler shop weld in a small glass pack or straight pipe

Not sure it will run right if you remove the cat. The upstream O2 sensor creates a baseline and then the ECU checks the difference between the upstream and downstream 02 units to see how the engine is running.

If there was only one 02 sensor, I would get rid of the cat!

ECU checks the difference between the upstream and downstream 02 units to see how the engine is running.

not sure if you worded this wrong but, the downstream O2 is a monitor only. The only function the downstream has is to monitor catalytic converter efficiency, You compare upstream / downstream readings and the difference will let you know if your cat is working or not. Downstream has absolutely zero info on how your engine is running, that is all on the upstream data, which will tell the pcm to either take away or add fuel ... then you get into long term / short term data and thats a whole days worth of schooling !!

Not sure it will run right if you remove the cat. The upstream O2 sensor creates a baseline and then the ECU checks the difference between the upstream and downstream 02 units to see how the engine is running.

If there was only one 02 sensor, I would get rid of the cat!

Didn't hurt my uncles. Never even through a check engine light on his. Here in Cortez, only 5% of trucks have a muffler let alone a cat

I was reading if you do delete the cat you can get Fowlers that install in the o2 bung and I believe it tricks the ECU out not sure though I'm getting this info off the net
Aaron

Looks like I can get a whole system from the exhaust manifold back to the muffler aera for around 150 shipped with a cat
That's not to bad

I removed my cats and started getting a check engine light. I then went to a O2 simulator which runs at a mid setting. My truck is still a fuel hog but i am also running 37'' tires. If i were gonna remove the cats again i would put on high flow cats and new O2. It also may not help that i am running a performance pcm. Good luck.

I was reading if you do delete the cat you can get Fowlers that install in the o2 bung and I believe it tricks the ECU out not sure though I'm getting this info off the net
Aaron

Looks like I can get a whole system from the exhaust manifold back to the muffler aera for around 150 shipped with a cat
That's not to bad

That's exactly what they do

Well I ended up picking up the full system manifold back to the muffler for 150 bucks it was a pretty good fit I had to use some long 2 1/2 inch. Bolts to draw the manifold flanges up tight I thought I was going to have some fitment issues but it ended up fitting nicely, i did have to replace a O2 sensors which was 55 bucks but all and all I got out of the whole deal for about $210 and about 4 hours of my time and the truck is back on the road thanks all

Aaron

Now it's back to work on the turbo toad!!!!

Well I ended up picking up the full system manifold back to the muffler for 150 bucks it was a pretty good fit I had to use some long 2 1/2 inch. Bolts to draw the manifold flanges up tight I thought I was going to have some fitment issues but it ended up fitting nicely, i did have to replace a O2 sensors which was 55 bucks but all and all I got out of the whole deal for about $210 and about 4 hours of my time and the truck is back on the road thanks all

Aaron

Now it's back to work on the turbo toad!!!!

Glad to hear

Well the truck is running the way it was before the cat plugged up its breaking up and bucking at lower rpm.
It's throughing a check engine flash of a ten count at higher rpm.
I'm confused and im wondering if it could be the throttle positioning sensor? What are some of the symptoms or issues when one goes bad.
Thanks
Aaron

It's misfiring. If you continue to drive it while its missing then you will destroy your new cat. Anytime the check engine light flashes, that means that it is a misfire. Check to make sure that your plug wires are routed correctly. They have a TSB on that.

I was able to check the fault code and it was the cam sensor in the dizzy and was causing 3 cylinder not to fire correctly.
Thanks all
Aaron

Ok guys need some more help I changed the out the cam sensor in the dizzy now the truck is throwing P1391 fault code Intermittent Loss of CMP or CKP.
Loss of the Cam Position Sensor or Crank Position
sensor has occurred.
I'm not sure which direction to go and some help would be appreciated

Check the wires and connector to the sensor? Also check the body grounds are intact and not full of green fuzzy crap.

-
Back