1999 starter to 68 dart

-

slowdown

Reaction score
Somewhere on here I have read u can use a newer style starter off of a Dakota 5.2 on an older engine but I can't find it now. Well I just bought a 1999 starter from autozone and it has a little plastic piece to receive a little plug of sort and a prong like a regular starter. The starter is tiny compared to my original starter and at least half the weight, and looks like it's going to be easy to get to with headers on. Is this the style of starter used to replace old style as I don't have the plug to adapt to the plastic piece on the starter. Did I get the wrong year of starter? is there one of these smaller starters with a 2 prong style?

Yup! I am not sure on the year but I put a late 90's V6 Dakota starter. It was easy to install and works very good. It spins the engine over fast. I had to split the battery cable connector at the starter to make the connection work.

I have a '90 Dodge D-150 pickup with a 318 that had a mini starter on it-the key word being HAD -I put that on my 73 Dart and it works awesome and the Darts old clunky iron pig starter is on the truck.

i used a 98 ram starter for my car. it didn't have that special connector like the later ones.

the mini starters were used on dodge dakota's from 1987-2002 as well as dodge ram 1989-2002 ram vans (full size)

the v6 and v8 starters are the same, some starters require you to remove the special plastic wire locator, and just run the terminals under it

I will look for the plastic wire male connection at napa or something to make the connection to the plastic piece. I was actually hoping to find a little starter with just the prongs to make it easy but autozone only had the one with the plastic piece on it for a plug connection.

-
Back