1st Gen Barracuda ?

-
the easiest way to tell the 64-65's apart from the 66's is the driver. The 66's are usually much better looking than the 64-65's.
I don't know about that ... My wife thinks I'm pretty handsome and I drive a '64!

barracuda 004 (2).jpg

I am impressed--this thread has the first really new things I've learned about the early A-body barracudas in...probably fifteen years.

Very informative! Now I'm going to have to catalog and preserve all of those special 1964-only bits and pieces I have lying around.

Back in 1970, I bought a '64 Barracuda from a friend of mine while on active duty. It was a 273 Commando with the black and silver valve covers. By then it already had an Edelbrock hi rise and a 780 Holley. It was a factory 4 speed with a Ford rear. I put a set of Cyclone fenderwell headers and traction bars on it and it ran like a raped ape. I used to power shift that thing at 7k and never had a problem with it except for one broken pushrod. I drove that thing for 3 years and raced every weekend I could. I only lost 3 races to a 396 Nova, a 350 in a 60 Nova with a B&M Powerglide and a Z-28 302 in a '57 Chevy. I think I could have beaten the Chevy with another run.
Now I'm redoing a 273 to swap out my /6 4 speed in a '65 Barracuda.

Not sure if i missed it in one of the replies but i've heard that the 64 has the fuel/temp/amps as separate gauges and the 65 has them clustered all together.

great story, ive heard those dz302 are the 340 of sbc's, but no one can compete with a mopar engine. good luck with your rebuild.

66 classic french fry cutter grill. 64 push button trans, 65 shift on the floor console. 65 small floor console, 66 had bigger one with little box for holding stuff. Had a 66 318 ran high 14's now have 65 being restored back in a month or so. Nothing beats the big back windo for gazing at the stars at night....

Has anyone ever noticed that the mounting pins on the Formula S badges are different from 65 to66?

-
Back