1st time 727 trans build with pix

-
The number is not relevant, just the amount the indicator moved from zero. The indicator moved counter clockwise to .060". I guess he was pushing down on the shaft which is why the indicator went backwards.

I'm well aware of how to read a dial indicator. Pictures show pointer on zero in the first pic and 60 in the second. Now all my learning tells me that is .060?

OK I understand your post .040 with the gauge going CCW. You would think when posting pics in a how to post. The OP would show the reading going CW so as not to confuse dumb people like me!

The number is not relevant, just the amount the indicator moved from zero. The indicator moved counter clockwise to .060". I guess he was pushing down on the shaft which is why the indicator went backwards.

Yes I set the trans on the tail shaft on the floor then put the dial indicator on and set it to zero as I lifted the trans the dial went to the left counter clockwise to 60 and from zero that =.040 now if you put the dial on while the trans has the shaft in the air and you set the dial to zero it will go clockwise and in my case it would have gone to the 40 =.040

Mike

OK I understand your post .040 with the gauge going CCW. You would think when posting pics in a how to post. The OP would show the reading going CW so as not to confuse dumb people like me!

I believe the OP did post it lol , that would be me in post 20 if you would have read it you would know here is the post lol it's all good

Well got the new sun shell installed today and I got the endplay all set to .040 all I have to do now is the rest lol well setting the front and rear bands / valve body and tail shaft.

The dial indicator move's from zero to the left to the 60 which is .040 just to keep thing's straight .

I ordered the rear billet servo I will get it in as soon as I get it and I will post some pix.

Let me know what you guy's think so far and thanks for all the help along the way , this thing has been so cool to do I can't wait to do the next on for the wife's polara

Here's some pix
Mike

Don't forget to air test the forward and direct clutch when its all together, before installing the VB. This will verify no leaks, and you'll see that endplay come into play. Set it on the bellhousing, and shoot it. You can also test your servo's while you're at it.

Also, what Governor weights are you using? Or is this a full manual VB setup?

On the TCS billet direct, what thickness clutches and steels did you use, and how many? What was your gap on that setup too.

Don't forget to air test the forward and direct clutch when its all together, before installing the VB. This will verify no leaks, and you'll see that endplay come into play. Set it on the bellhousing, and shoot it. You can also test your servo's while you're at it.

Also, what Governor weights are you using? Or is this a full manual VB setup?

On the TCS billet direct, what thickness clutches and steels did you use, and how many? What was your gap on that setup too.

How do I go about air testing the forward and direct drum .

I know how to test the servo's

On the TCS billet drum it is set at .071 as far as the thickness of the clutches I don't know I bought it loaded

Mike

the 2 round holes/ports next to the center threaded hole on the pump end of the housing are for direct and forward.

How many clutches are in the direct?

the 2 round holes/ports next to the center threaded hole on the pump end of the housing are for direct and forward.

How many clutches are in the direct?

Not a 100% sure I never opened it up but I think it has 5 red cluches and are you talking about the valve body threaded hole at the front near the pump and they would be the 2 holes/ports to the right when looking at it from the tail shaft

I will have the rear billet servo this week coming but on the upside I did pick up my new deep B&M oil pan and I stuck it all together with the CSR shield to see what it will look like to bad it all get hidden under the car looks pretty cool.

Here's more pix LOL

Cool build!! I was going to drop my tranny off and let Dwight build it, But after reading your build i think i'll try it myself,

yep. Only asking, as those hubs can be tweaked to get 6 clutches/steels in them with a little machining of the piston and pressure plate, and playing with different thickness snaprings.

Cool build!! I was going to drop my tranny off and let Dwight build it, But after reading your build i think i'll try it myself,

LOL Cool , Dwight's good people he helped me a lot , I made him a fiber glass hood many years ago when he had the Belvedere when it was red with a mean hemi now a buddy of mine own's it with a milder hemi setup still fast .

Good luck on your rebuild

Mike

yep. Only asking, as those hubs can be tweaked to get 6 clutches/steels in them with a little machining of the piston and pressure plate, and playing with different thickness snaprings.

I think 6 thin 1s will fit if I'm correct and thanks for the info

Mike

Mike, I uploaded a JPEG image picture of the places to inject air to do the pressure tests on the clutches (and servos). Should only take about 35-40 psi to engage the clutches. I assume you used assembly lube on the seals and JFYI assembly lube doesn't seal up as well as atf so some air may escape. Don't worry if it's just a little bit. The main thing is the clutch packs engage.

Attachments

• Air Pressure test ports.pdf
    734.7 KB · Views: 252
Mike, I uploaded a JPEG image picture of the places to inject air to do the pressure tests on the clutches (and servos). Should only take about 35-40 psi to engage the clutches. I assume you used assembly lube on the seals and JFYI assembly lube doesn't seal up as well as atf so some air may escape. Don't worry if it's just a little bit. The main thing is the clutch packs engage.

Thank you fishy68 that's what i needed and thanks to FredS for all the great knowledge on here.

As soon as i get it finished i will post the rest of the pix and i hope this thread has and will help people like me lol

Mike

what valve body are u using. On Copes web site on tech page . He says to check billet front drum to make sure it does not rub on rear.

Here are some pix of the billet servo installed and the trans all buttoned up and ready to go

when you said in the beginning "I machined the pump support for better oiling as recommended.
What do you mean please, do you have more detail on this please.

-
Back