2.2 pistons in the slant?

-

DusterKrazy

Reaction score
What pistons are you guys using in your hot /6's?? I was thinking a 2.2 turbo piston would be ideal. Any specific choices though??

Looking to build some high compression with a shaved head (haven't shaved it yet)..

I have a head that I have ported myself. I am searching also for a budget solution concerning oversize valves. I have headers,intake and a double roller romac timing set. I will need a hot camshaft.

Looking at a deep converter to use after the cam choice is made. 4.56 gears with an 8.25 rear. Considering a 600 Holley double pumper as well...

What pistons are you guys using in your hot /6's?? I was thinking a 2.2 turbo piston would be ideal. Any specific choices though??

yes the 2.2 pistons are a nice setup but you need 198 rods... SS is right in the middle of that build so you can ask if he doesn't chime in...

im just using summit .080 over flats

I have a head that I have ported myself. I am searching also for a budget solution concerning oversize valves. I have headers,intake and a double roller romac timing set. I will need a hot camshaft.

look up my post "who makes cams" and i have been picking thru anybody who makes cams for these...
Looking at a deep converter to use after the cam choice is made. 4.56 gears with an 8.25 rear.

how heavy is your car? im running a Edge 9.5" 3500 stall converter and im looking to up to either 4.56's or 4.86's so i can get my trap up to 6K

Considering a 600 Holley double pumper as well...

thats what i run...

Attachments

• 100_4732.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 825
  • 2011 Motor (4).JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 733
What's the piston application for that you are using? look up slant pistons in Summit?

The car with drivetrain should not weigh over 2100(but probably less?!). It is not done yet but I have gotten started with it. The car in question is a '66 Barracuda with a tube chassis. Lexan windows (all), removed dash, gutted doors, grille setup from a Valiant (because the whole thing is lighter than one side of a Barracuda grille), removed taillights(shaved) and several other tricks. No inner fenders, cut the bracing from the bottom of the trunk lid, etc,etc...

My intake is a Weiand and am thinking hard on the 600 Holley Double Pumper. As for cams, Schneider had a 550 lift that I was considering that had something like 262* (actual duration!!). Needs bunches of compression and converter for that one...lol.

I heard that Comp cams can hook you up with a wicked cam for a /6. I was told to call them up and ask for the "Six Pack" cam. This was the cam that Barry Harrison was running in his very strong '66 Valiant. I don't know if it's still available or not and I haven't decided on what to use..

Thanks for all the advice...

Lunati will also make you a /6 cam.

I have 2 leftover 2.2L pistons for the 198 rod swap if your interested. It makes for a much lighter assembly. Lighter RA more power.

PM if anyone wants them, say $50?

If you go naturally aspirated, you might not want the turbo piston. I am using the KB239 pistons in mine. They'll end up somewhere under 10:1, but probably not by much. If you mill the head a boatload, the turbo pistons might be the ticket. That's actually why I got the non turbo pistons. I decided not to do the heavy milling. And as Ed brought up, they are only able to be used with the 198 rod. Those are getting pretty scarce used and when you find them, often times they are not cheap because people know what you need them for. That leaves the K1 Technologies 198 length rods, which are very nice and probably worth every penny, but were certainly out of my budget. I think they are a pinch under 500 bucks. Lastly, the STD bore of the 2.2 engine is about .045" over for the slant, so keep that in mind when you purchase them.

On the valves, I had my head machined for stock 1.78 and 1.50 318 valves. They are a little longer and may need the stems cut but they are very affordable. I plan to run a stock 440 spring.

On the camshaft, It's true Lunati, Comp or any other high end cam company will grind you a cam, BUT, the way I understand it, cores are running out because no one is making new ones, so when they're gone they're gone. My advice is to get your reground at Oregon Cam Grinders. Google them. They will regrind your stock core to any grind on their list for 70 bucks. The fuel pump lobe usually needs to be addressed because they are almost always worn. They can fix that, too.

I would think about milling the head heavily if I were you. You can get well over 10:1 with the KB239 and thin head gasket and minimum head milling. Lots of people have done the heavy milling. I just never have liked the idea of milling to get compression. Call it a pet peeve. All I am going to do is have my block deck height blueprinted and the head has just been cleaned up.....and honestly, I am afraid my compression will be too high, but I'll cross that bridge when I mock it up and blueprint the compression ratio.

Listen to Ed. He's a sharp kid. He's shown me a ton about these things. There are several others on here too who are good with them. I've built a LOT of engines, but this will be my first slant, so it is all a learning experience for me.

What's the piston application for that you are using? look up slant pistons in Summit?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...ine-Type/L6/Engine-Size/3-7L-225/?Ns=Rank|Asc

The car with drivetrain should not weigh over 2100(but probably less?!). It is not done yet but I have gotten started with it. The car in question is a '66 Barracuda with a tube chassis. Lexan windows (all), removed dash, gutted doors, grille setup from a Valiant (because the whole thing is lighter than one side of a Barracuda grille), removed taillights(shaved) and several other tricks. No inner fenders, cut the bracing from the bottom of the trunk lid, etc,etc...

being a tube car you should be able to hit that... marks 62 lancer is full steel @ 2350 and runs 11.43 @ 116...

My intake is a Weiand and am thinking hard on the 600 Holley Double Pumper. As for cams, Schneider had a 550 lift that I was considering that had something like 262* (actual duration!!). Needs bunches of compression and converter for that one...lol.

check out my "who makes cam thread", i have been trying to get a good cam .550 lift without that much duration for a more street friendly cam... you should talk to mark (madmax/6) on here as i think he traps @ 6500 with that duration...

I heard that Comp cams can hook you up with a wicked cam for a /6. I was told to call them up and ask for the "Six Pack" cam. This was the cam that Barry Harrison was running in his very strong '66 Valiant. I don't know if it's still available or not and I haven't decided on what to use..

comp cams uses a nitrited coating on there cams and it can wreak havoc on your oil pump gear... doug dutra sells blue printed pumps, if you have a good OLD pump with mopar numbers on it the gear should be good, the

My turbo mopars with the 2.2 turbo II have full floating pins. Make sure
your rods are set up for that unless all rods would be the same.

There are people who simply enlarge the big end until it's a floating fit and just run steel on steel. I never have been an advocate of doing that, though I know some who build race engines like that and swear by it. Mine will have bronze bushings.

Your mailbox is full. But I’ll take them.
James

I have 2 leftover 2.2L pistons for the 198 rod swap if your interested. It makes for a much lighter assembly. Lighter RA more power.

Before responding to 10 year old posts, check the status of the OP.

-
Back