2-3 jamming up

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm having abit of a problem and not sure how to fix it. My 4 speed does this thing that when I romp on the throttle and go from 2nd to 3rd gear the shifter will lock up in second and won't move it's jamming up and I don't know why . When I drive nice and easy it's ok but say if I was to try and do a qtr mike pass it would more than likely get stuck . Any ideas?? Shift rod adjust ment ? Clutch pedal adjustment ? Something internal .? Shift mechanism itself ? Thanks guys

Could be either a problem in the transmission side plate mechanism, maybe a damaged shift fork, or wear in the shifter box, or even improper adjustment or wear and slop in the rods

Not a clutch problem

I'm having the same problem....First trip out and everything is fine, come back check everything out , looks good so I go for a ride. I put about 100 miles on her and loving every minute of it. I decide to get on it alittle bit, the first time was fine the second time it hangs up in second gear. Good thing I left some tools in the car, now any time I get on it, she hangs up. Thanks for some things for me to look into, I'll post on the out come and I hope that it will help anyone else out with what I find.

Worn shifter or out of adjustment. Make the 1st and 2nd rod shorter . It is not coming out of second before hitting the cross over for 3-4. If adjusted right you should be able to kick third with your rt. foot while holding the throttle with your left.

Absolutely. Those bushings and stock linkages are finnicky. Even when they are adjusted on a dowel to neutral and everything is new, it takes some playing around.

We had the same problem and it ended up being a busted synchronizer ring

Thanks guys
Also I'm leaning towards clutch pedal adjustment because when I hold down clutch and start car it will still lunge forward if non gear while starting I usually start in neutral anyways but i don't know I shall mess with linkages and try to get it sorted out thanks guys

Hey guys so I was cruising home from work and was shifting from 2nd to 3rd and it got stuck on me again .. This time I can't get it to come out .. My floor hump is not welded in so I can move it reach down and move lever on the case back into neutral and be good to go or remove linkage and do it that way.. NO DICE. It's jammed and I can't figure out what to do . Should I pull tyranny out and take off side cover or any other suggestions . Only 1600 miles on car thanks guys

ur synchros might be shot....if i have time later this week i could come by and help ya diagnose the thing for ya.

1600 miles.....on the transmission? who rebuilt it and when? and what exactly was done to the trans during the rebuild?

ur synchros might be shot....if i have time later this week i could come by and help ya diagnose the thing for ya.

1600 miles.....on the transmission? who rebuilt it and when? and what exactly was done to the trans during the rebuild?

Hey thanks James
Yea it was rebuilt in like 2010 and sat for a few months I took it to a guy here in San Jose a Mopar guy. Shop name( all standard transmissions) in Campbell .

What happend was I took him a trans I bought he looked it over and it was rusted out so he sold me one he had . And put new syncros and such . I was planning on pulling it and take it back to him and have him look it over . Cause I was gonna fix my rear main leak anyway

What happend was I took him a trans I bought he looked it over and it was rusted out so he sold me one he had . And put new syncros and such .

Might want to elaborate about the new syncros and such? I mean the "such" part of it. What else did he replace?

Honestly not exactly sure wat else was done I mean he semed like a trustworthy guy said he replaced the 1st gear with a higher one . I think I may pull it out and take it to him cause I have no idea on how to work on these trannies yet

All I have is advise or more like warning..
Get it fixed before you waste a gear.
I've seen too many cases where worn out shift mechanism ruined a good trans.

ok. ill be around. give me a call/text before ya start pullin it. id like to see whats going on with your linkages and stuff as well. make sure its all up to par.

If you put a diaphragm clutch in you need to install a early pedal assembly. or lengthen the pin spread.

One thing just for your own information.
You can't just stick a higher ratio gear in a standard trans without changing out the entire reaction shaft (The WHOLE bottom gear shaft)

-
Back