2.45 ratio 8.25 rear

-

Birddog1

Reaction score
I have a 2.45 ratio 8.25 rear. Am I stuck or can better gears be put in this housing. Do I need to find another axel. What do I do

You can change the ratio, BUT, you need a different carrier, one that will accept a 2.71 or numerically larger gear ratio.

Are the housings different. Or are the carriers different or both

Roy has answered you. Twice. You need a different carrier. That's all you need for different gears. The housings are the same.

How many more times are you going to ask the same question?

So, I'll ask a question for him. Can he get a complete 8 1/4 rear end from a '94 Dakota with 3.55's and have the "guts" (carrier with ring and pinion) installed in his rear end? :)

So, I'll ask a question for him. Can he get a complete 8 1/4 rear end from a '94 Dakota with 3.55's and have the "guts" (carrier with ring and pinion) installed in his rear end? :)

I answer it for him too. Yes he can, just make sure it is a 27 spline carrier. They changed in 1996.

Birddog1, we headed you in the right direction leaving no stone unturned! Be sure to click the "thanks" button on SGBARRACUDA's post.

Roy has answered you. Twice. You need a different carrier. That's all you need for different gears. The housings are the same.

How many more times are you going to ask the same question?

I appreciate your concern for your friend and the integrity of this forum but if you look at my posts, I asked a question and a follow up. Not excessive in my opinion. Too much drama for a Monday morning. Pretty harsh from a hobby that prides themselves on being inclusive.

Thanks to everyone for the info it was very helpful exactly what I was looking for.
MRO

Don't know how to click the thanks button but the information from SGBARRACUDA is much appreciated.
MRO

i've heard that sometimes you will have to grind the housing for clearance when changing the 2.45 gear housing,. not sure how true that is or not because i have never messed with a 8 1/4 rear.

I am pretty sure the carrier will not work with say 3,23 gears picked up a track lok at a garage sale a while ago and it was for the 2.71 and higher gear.. Ended up selling it to a members since I could not use it. The flange where the gear ring mounts is farther back and you would need a spacer for it.

I answer it for him too. Yes he can, just make sure it is a 27 spline carrier. They changed in 1996.

Exactly!!!
Did this to my '75 with help from the fellas on here.
Worked like a champ!
Total bill...
$100 for complete chunk with pinion from '92 Dakota (3.55 SG) What a steal!
$50 for gaskets and bearings
$25 for new gearlube with SG additive.
What a difference, 2.45 open to 3.55 SG makes!
These guys know there stuff!
Special thanks to MOPER who helped with the bearings.

-
Back