2:73 Gears In An E Body Rearend?

-

Forrest

Reaction score
I am looking at a '69 Dart with a rearend out of an E body with what the seller says has 2:73 gears. Is this possible? If so, would the axles need to be out of the same E body or could the original Dart axles be used?
Thanks in advance for all responses.
Forrest

Your post doesn't make too much sense . 904 is usually in reference to an automatic transmission ? If you're meaning a 9 1/4" or 8 3/4" axle that would make more sense. Your question of whether or not dart axles would work would depend on whether or not the axle housing was narrowed to fit under
an a-body . If so than yes a stock a-body axle should fit with the correct brake hardware . If not than no a standard a-body axle would be too short.
Yes people have put wider b/e body axles under a-bodys .

I am looking at a '69 Dart with a rearend out of an E body with what the seller says has 2:73 gears. Is this possible? If so, would the axles need to be out of the same E body or could the original Dart axles be used?
Thanks in advance for all responses.
Forrest

Is it the whole rearend or just the center section (8.75")?
The trans being a TF904 makes no difference to the rear end except for driveshaft length.

Is it the whole rearend or just the center section (8.75")?
The trans being a TF904 makes no difference to the rear end except for driveshaft length.
Sorry people. I didn't mean it that way. What I meant was, 904 tranny, 8-3/4 rear and rear drum brakes, the rear end and brakes coming from an E body with the rear end gears being 2:73. I was wondering if the 2:73 was an actual ratio available. I have heard of 2:94 and 3:23 but not 2:73. Thanks again to everyone.

The 8 3/4 is 2.76.

You are correct! The power of suggestion had us going right along with it. I think the next one up is a 2.93, too. I would have to go dig around my garage to be sure. That set-up will be in with my turbo 318....most likely.

Yup, and the axle housing will not fit your A body. Much better off buying an A body one.

-
Back