2.76 gear in a 741 case ?

-

draginmopars

Reaction score
What type of car would had came factory with that gear ratio ?

It's a 68 model.

I'm thinking about using that gear, in the Dart with a 4 speed
and 15" tire.(245/60-15)

as a long distance highway cruiser.

using a 68 340 also, Would it lug it down?

Anyone run something geared like this>

Thanks

Don't know about what year they are, but they don't work really well in my 68 Dart with 14 inch tires. I use them as my highway gear and 3.55 as my city gears. The 2.76 gears make the car to lazy for my liking! I have a 3.23 setup that I am going to try as a good all around gear. JMO

Those gears will turn a stock engined car into a turd.
To compensate for that gearratio you need at least 500 ft/lbs to make the car fun to drive again.

What cars came with them? How about all of them! Super common behind a 6 in n A body. Grandmas valiant gear, low and slow. Highway gear for sure, or turbo-charged as thy like to work against something. 3.23-3.55 are better suited for mst everything besides 1/4 miles or towing.

That was the common ratio behind non high performance engines. 318 powered cars will have them. C and B bodies cars are likely to have them.
After the 2.76'ers, 3.23's were very common. Often found behind 340 & 383 cars.

I used that ratio after my 3.23'd have out. The engine will be lugged down a little bit. I suggest getting the carbs pumpshot adjusted to compinsate for a longer duration pumpshot.
At the time, I was running a 275/60/15 on my E body Cuda and a 4spd. It seemed like I had limitless top end (Actually. It topped out at 155mph.)

Once you get the pump shot in, make extra effort in tuning the carb and add a multi sparking ignition for best mileage. You should do very well.

We used to put 2.76 gears in to take a long trip. We could get mpg into the 20's. 3.23's were everyday gears. 64 and 67 Barracuda's 273 4 speed and automatic.

I have a 416 with a 833 and now 2.91 Gears in a 741.
I think for that Engine it doesn´t matter what ratio it is. No Traction up to 3. Gear by WOT.
But i want to change it now to 2.76.

Thanks Everyone

I think I'll try them

We have 3.23 and 3.55 if we don"t like it
thought we had a 2.97 but, can't find it right now

We are putting a BBP rear axle together for a 70 Dart Swinger

Building as a cruiser/ long distance runner.

using what we got
It will get a fresh .030 over 340, 68 model

was concerned about lugging it
Do have a few used tires, We can fine tune the ratio
before we but new tires for it

I have a 416 with a 833 and now 2.91 Gears in a 741.
I think for that Engine it doesn´t matter what ratio it is. No Traction up to 3. Gear by WOT.
But i want to change it now to 2.76.

Notice you are in Germany

We are legal limit to 70 mph (Tn.)

Wish we had a Bundesautobahn here :burnout:

2.76 were stock in a 64 Belvedere that I had. Also a 69 Valiant with a 8 3/4. like said above can be found in just about anything mopar made. I like them for a driver.Around here our speed limits are 55 to 75 mph works well for the open road.I changed my 63 Valiant 170 cid from 3.23 to 2.76 just to keep up with the local traffic.Less high speed buzzin'..

I put 2.76 in my cuda with a 383 auto 727 14'' tire and it turns the tires over with no problem. But this is no race car and does great on the highway.

I run 2.76 in my 77 van with a 318/727.... runs great and milage is great also!

318 is out of a 76 duster and has only 52,000 miles, I put a double roller in, ld4b intake with a holley 450 and a set of hooker headers and rear is a 741 with an old style sure grip.

I think with a 340 in ur dart you'll be very happy with the 2.76 for cruisin.

i have driven a 340 Dart with those gears...it was very lazy.For mileage you will need a very short duration cam so your most efficient lo speed torque is your cruise RPM.
..You may get better mileage with 2.94 or 3.23 depending on your build.
..let us know how you make out.

67 Sattelite with 276 gears and 318 no problem accelerating, Great mileage

About all 500 hp will do is break things with that gear set. It doesnt change the strain of the ratio. Its just mathematics.

Notice you are in Germany

We are legal limit to 70 mph (Tn.)

Wish we had a Bundesautobahn here :burnout:

Yes, right but when i drive on the Autobahn, i drive not faster than 70-80 mph.
I want to travel and not to drive fast! ;)
Important for me is the accelleration:burnout:
I don´t want to scare myself due to go for 100 or more mph with a car that is not really build for that.
When i have more in suspension and chassis, ok, but my Car is completly Stock expect the Engine. Car is overstrained anyway with the 416:cheers:

67 Sattelite with 276 gears and 318 no problem accelerating, Great mileage

yes... small valves,small ports and small cam with short duration ... good power at low rpm.
...perfect for those gears

-
Back