2 ballast resistors?

-

65Vart

Reaction score
My 71 dart has two ballast resistors. One on the wiper motor (2 speed motor) and one on the driver side far corner. The one on the drivers side firewall gets extremely hot. I just installed a new coil (MSD). Ive never noticed this before. would it help to install the 8ohm resistor is the kit? don't really want to drill another hole but the MSD resistor is too big to fit where the old one sits. Ideas?

What are you using for ignition system? Do pretty much what MSD recommends.

The one for the wiper is a separate resistor, unrelated

What are you using for ignition system? Do pretty much what MSD recommends.

The one for the wiper is a separate resistor, unrelated
Fire core distributor, mopar orange box.... has anyone had to relocate the MSD ballast from the stock position, any pictures of a 70-72 dart? its a big sucker.

The MSB Blaster coil (which I presume you have) is designed to work with their ballast. Not sure what you have a for a ballast now; a lot of aftermarket ones put on cars haphazardly are wrong for the Mopar system. So I would install the new MSD ballast.

Not sure why it will not fit though; is it the MSD 8214? They both use 1 mounting hole, right? Perhaps thread in a large self-tapping screw?

Just use the one that came with the equipment you bought. The resistor fairly small and the body is that big so it has enough mass to disperse the heat generated. Putting in a higher resistance resistor will only generate much more heat

got it done, the 8ohm ballast doesn't heat up near as much (bigger thicker), thanks guys.

-
Back