2 Barrel or 4 Barrel?

-

ValiantGuy

Reaction score
for my 225 slant six i am having trouble deciding whether to do 2 barrel or a 4 barrel. Someone has offered me a 2barrel manifold for a great deal, but i was previously planning on getting a 4 barrel manifold with a 390 Holley4barrel. Is there a 2 barrel that i could get the same preformance as a 390 four barrel?

I would think so valiantGuy, I know we have some great tec's here that can shed some light on this for you, just give them time to get back on line and help you out, I almost went with a two barrel myself :cheers:because my friends 225 ran much faster and cleaner after the two barrel change from the one barrel in his 67 Dart, He also put a bigger down pipe and exhaust on it and I could not believe how fast it ran.=P~=P~
I think he went with a 2'' down pipe from the exhaust manifold and that made a giant deference 8)

I would think so valiantGuy, I know we have some great tec's here that can shed some light on this for you, just give them time to get back on line and help you out, I almost went with a two barrel myself :cheers:because my friends 225 ran much faster and cleaner after the two barrel change from the one barrel in his 67 Dart, He also put a bigger down pipe and exhaust on it and I could not believe how fast it ran.=P~=P~
I think he went with a 2'' down pipe from the exhaust manifold and that made a giant deference 8)

Great! Do you know what Carb your friend ran?

If you are stock,go with a 2bbl manifold and Holley 350 cfm 2 bbl.You can use the carter BBD but you cant really tune them. The 350 will be good for stock to mild.

If you are not stock,or plan to build the engine get a 500 cfm 2 bbl or a 4 bbl.

If you are stock,go with a 2bbl manifold and Holley 350 cfm 2 bbl.You can use the carter BBD but you cant really tune them. The 350 will be good for stock to mild.

If you are not stock,or plan to build the engine get a 500 cfm 2 bbl or a 4 bbl.

I am going to be rebuilding the engine and putting on headers upgrading the camshaft and ignition. But i am very novice and learning as i go. So i think it would be safer to stick with a 2barrel 350 or 500cfm and keep it as stock as i can but upgrade somewhat. As this being my first project car.

No , I would think any 2 barrel slant six from a truck or charger would be a good choice
I will see what I can dig up and get back to you tomorrow ok, It's getting late for this ol fart, But I am sure by the time the week end is up you will have a good tec jump in here and help you locate some cfm numbers, more cfm's means bigger carb.
I know they made a fast two barrel super 6'es in the F body Aspen and Valar'es.
That might be some where to look.

Do a 4bbl.
Clifford or Offy intake
Holley 390 Or Edelbrock 500

Reason: As soon as you do the 2bbl conversion,your going to want more.
Been there done that.

This "was" a stock motor,that I ran a Cliffor intake/header with a Ede 500. Ran good,with a little tunning.

Now it has a Erson cam,shaved & ported head,with over size valves,
340 springs.Should run really good now.8)
JD.

Hart Basketball 002.jpg

Do a 4bbl.
Clifford or Offy intake
Holley 390 Or Edelbrock 500

Reason: As soon as you do the 2bbl conversion,your going to want more.
Been there done that.

This "was" a stock motor,that I ran a Cliffor intake/header with a Ede 500. Ran good,with a little tunning.

Now it has a Erson cam,shaved & ported head,with over size valves,
340 springs.Should run really good now.8)
JD.

That's a seriouse /6

All thinks equal my Valiant ran quicker with a 2bbl Carter BBD(16.35@83) than with a 465cfm 4bbl Holley(16.75@81), the Holley got slightly better milage though. I rebuilt and tuned the heck out of the Holley and barely spent anytime on the BBD. If you aren't putting in a big cam a 4bbl is a waste of time, it just can't spin fast enough to need the secondaries. I used to shift mine at 5000rpm and no matter what spring was in there the secondaries did not open. It could have been a problem in the carb but I went through it 3 times trying to get better times than with the "little" BBD.
This engine was a 30 over 225, 9.8:1, electronic ignition, head was ported but had stock valves, Clifford 4bbl intake and clifford shorty headers Y-ed to a single 2 1/2" pipe into a 2 1/4" turbo muffler and tail pipe, 3.91 gears, slightly hotter than stock cam but I dont know the specs.

-
Back