2 parts stuck and need solutions. pronto

-
Put your old timing chain back on the motor.
Rotate the motor until the lifer is up as far as it will go.
Turn the motor a little more so the lobe is not touching the lifter.
Remove the timing chain.
Bolt the timing chain gear back on the cam.
Rotate the cam until it slides out.

If you can get the distributor drive out take it out first and you will not have to put the timing chain back on.

After the cam is removed, reach in with your finger and push the lifter out.
It is really that simple.

If the intake is off, can't you just put your index finger down near the cam and push up on the bottom of the lifter and then get some vise-grips on the top of that sucker and wiggle it back and forth and out, if you're going to install new ones anyway.

I hope the metal on the bottom of it isn't all mushroomed out. Then it'll have to come out the bottom, after the cam's out.

Try sticking a screwdriver in the center cam gal;ley & pry it up from the bottom then take a pair of pliers or vice grip to twist it out. If you put the bolt back in the cam you should be able to spin it

You have to twist the gear out, not pry up on it.

Yes a huge one that will fit in the distributor gear.

distributor gear slot.
Man I wish you was closer, this would have already been done.

Im a slowass.... and I have **** luck sometimes..Im trying my best to do this fast as I can while doing my best. I am taking pride in my work and accomplishments. no matter how small. first time in an engine and I have been doing good. least I think so.

:banghead: Damn simplest thing to remove had to gte in the way in the last leg of my personal race. Its like running a 3 legged race and your partner dropping dead 25ft from the finish line.

I am more dam frustrated than a sailor coming home on leave and his wife stole his Hemi charger, shot his dog, and burned his house to the ground :violent1:

managed to get it up an inch and a half and disengaged. now it won't come up anymore! figures...

Work it back and forth, I bet it's just oil schmutz buildup on the schaft.

I am gonna try again tomorrow and hopefully the cam will come out and the new one will go in and then it all uphill from there

managed to get it up an inch and a half and disengaged. now it won't come up anymore! figures...

If it clears the cam, you don't HAVE to take it all of the way out. It would be nice to clean the crap off of it though. I bet your engine has a lot of sludge in it.
When you remove the cam, make sure you do it carefully, the cam bearings are easy to mark up and the lobes are sharp. Use a long bolt that screws in the end of the cam to use as a handle works good here.
I would suggest you get a FSM or any book with pictures of how to do a cam change on a small block mopar for when you put it back together, or you will be inventing new swear words if you put it back together wrong.
You're doing good so far, it's a lot of work to do this right. :cheers:

If it clears the cam, you don't HAVE to take it all of the way out. It would be nice to clean the crap off of it though. I bet your engine has a lot of sludge in it.
When you remove the cam, make sure you do it carefully, the cam bearings are easy to mark up and the lobes are sharp. Use a long bolt that screws in the end of the cam to use as a handle works good here.
I would suggest you get a FSM or any book with pictures of how to do a cam change on a small block mopar for when you put it back together, or you will be inventing new swear words if you put it back together wrong.
You're doing good so far, it's a lot of work to do this right. :cheers:

been doing a lot of reading on how to put it in. seems simple enough. I need that stupid dizzy drive out though to prime my engine with oil.

lather the punkass cam with a shitload of grease and slowly rotate in and then rotate gently to TDC. what's the torque specs for the bolts on the thrust plate? can't be very much.

Maybe use some giant, long needle-nose pliers to grab the top of that gear and work that dist. drive back and forth and up and down. Maybe even squirt some oil down there; try and get some under the top gear part, where the bushing is. Yup, it's gotta be all crudded up below the bushing, that's what's stopping it.

-
Back