2 piece 90 deg. oil filter adapter bolt

-

fshd4it

Squid inc
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This may not be the dumbest thing I've seen, but it has to rank right up there. I went to put a 90 degree adapter on my car (to clear the TTI headers), and the bolt wouldn't tighten down. Nowhere near enough torque to pull threads or twist the bolt, so i took it back out and this is what I found. Not exactly a design I'd use to hold an oil filter to an engine.

20220322_161953.jpg

So they pressed the head into a hollow bolt? spot weld it back and go to town...or just buy another one. I guess thats cheaper than machining a solid bolt. wonder how many are out there still working.

I think I'll cross-drill and drive a roll pin through it, if I can't dig up another bolt. I'm pretty sure the ones with drilled holes (not slots) are 1 piece.

Does anyone have a Torque spec for this 90 degree oil filter adapter bolt??
I cant find a torque spec anywhere in the FSM's. I wonder if the torque spec is the same for
the factory Cast Iron ones, VS. the Direct Connection Aluminum Ones??
Thanks
HotRod20

Does anyone have a Torque spec for this 90 degree oil filter adapter bolt??
I cant find a torque spec anywhere in the FSM's. I wonder if the torque spec is the same for
the factory Cast Iron ones, VS. the Direct Connection Aluminum Ones??
Thanks
HotRod20

I'm pretty sure it's 50 ft lbs

To the best of my knowledge the bolt with the slot was specific to 340’s and the bolt with the holes were for 273’s and 318’s.

1971 CY Dodge Dart makes a good point.....I am using the 68-70 Hi Po exhaust manifolds on my 72 Scamp with a 340.
Does anyone know if the short oil filter will clear the RH Hi Po exhaust manifold #2863 549 without any issues?
A picture would be helpful to confirm.
Thanks
HotRod20

Why use an adapter when you can just use a short filter? No fuss no muss.

IMHO - Half the filtering capacity, half a quart less capacity in the system. While this may be fine for a car that is rarely driven and never driven hard, but there is a reason Chrysler went through the trouble to design them to take a full sized filter. Is this different from replacing a 14 inch factory style air filter with one that is half the size of the originals?

Just do what I did to get my filter on I got a remote oil filter location and it lets me get another quart of oil in there.

Get rid of it and use the short filter…those 90s are generally a pain in the hole…

80s and 90s Jeeps used a 90 degree adapter. My 97 Cherokee had one...pretty sure all 4.0 and most 318 Grands used them. Hundreds of thousands of them have been used for tens of millions of miles with no trouble.

I've had more than a few 340's, Makes me want to check them. I don't remember seeing any with slots.
Same.
All the ones I have are with a ring of holes around 'prone to twist' or ring of holes offset 'stronger'.
I've always used the 90 adapters. One time I didn't and it leaked and got me pulled over as it dumped oil spray onto the header.

Also note: Ford has a similar adaptor, about $50 online. The Ford FL400/PH3600 and FL1A/PH8A filters are the same thread as the Mopar 090/PH16 filters, so it should work.

There were many thousands of cast iron ones made for and used on poly 318s too.

IMHO - Half the filtering capacity, half a quart less capacity in the system. While this may be fine for a car that is rarely driven and never driven hard, but there is a reason Chrysler went through the trouble to design them to take a full sized filter. Is this different from replacing a 14 inch factory style air filter with one that is half the size of the originals?
As long as the filter does not act as major restriction to the oiling system, then go as small as you like.
If you have that much crap floating around in your oil that you need a large filter to catch it, then maybe you need to overhaul your engine.

As long as the filter does not act as major restriction to the oiling system, then go as small as you like.
If you have that much crap floating around in your oil that you need a large filter to catch it, then maybe you need to overhaul your engine.

In your own words: "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah...tell me another one.."

Ok I found the torque spec for the adapter bolt from Mancini Racing.
Its included in the spec sheet when you buy a new bolt and gasket pkg.
Its 50 ft lbs. maximum.
HotRod20

In your own words: "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah...tell me another one.."
And your issue is??? Because I've run smaller filters for years, but hey, you don't have to do what I do and you don't have to take advantage of things I've learned in 30 years of engine building..

-
Back