2 piece driveshaft

-

forced 340

Reaction score
Hey gang. Do these driveshafts take any kind of abuse? I not talking about wheel stand take off's, but dead dig acceleration? When I bought my wife's dart, it had this set up. I just mini tubbed the car and will be putting my 340/727 in it soon. I just wanted to know if this set up will last for a season of play. My wife's car has a mild 360/727/3:91/325-50-15.

qu11407-dodge-rear-driveshaft-1200__91752.1518541501.jpg

DSC03532.JPG

I've broken 1 of those with a gutless 5 liter that was over tractioned and also blew a U-joint and straps off of one as well.

If your trans has a slip yoke in it you shouldn't need a slip yoke in the shaft.

I would even think that having two slip yokes would be a bad thing

I don't have a slip yolk in the trans. the trans has no tailstock. its got a yolk in the back with this driveshaft.

Sounds like a pre 66 904. Should work fine. Mp kit was this with 4 bolt flange. Same driveshaft as a 4x4 so they are tough. U-joint and strap are common to either setup. Youll need the flanges to U joint piece, common part in a 4x4 shop or driveline shop

Of course. Pre-65 B /C bodies. And some trucks/ motorhomes used a 'short shaft' version of a 727 with a bolt up flange.

example, alleged out of a 440/ 72 motorhome

Short Shaft 727.jpg

Here's another type out of an earlier van with the early drive shaft E-brake

A100TF.jpg

Last edited:
It probably be better off doing a wheel stand that a dead hook LOL..
It's tubbed, but you don't want to do anything crazy? LOL.. you're going to want a drive line Loop irregardless..

A 727 with out a slip yoke?

yup! everything is the same except the tailstock. I was going to take the trans out and convert it to a standard tailstock, but I wanted to see if it would hold up for a season till I put my 340/727 in it out of my swinger.

It probably be better off doing a wheel stand that a dead hook LOL..
It's tubbed, but you don't want to do anything crazy? LOL.. you're going to want a drive line Loop irregardless..

lol. shes not going to drive it to hard until I tell her too. I just mini tubbed it. she hasent driven it yet. im trying to get it done for autorama and don't really have time to take the trans out to convert it to a standard tailstock. maybe after autorama lol. I just need it to last long enough till I put my built drive line in her car.

Stock parts aren't always that tough but a good aftermarket driveshaft built for your application should be fine. Guys use them in high power 4x4's all the time

I’m running a np435 in my big block rat rod. It has the fixed yoke on the trans and a two piece prop shaft with the slip yoke on the rear shaft, just like the truck it came out of. Works great and I drive the crap out of it.

-
Back