2 problems Torsion Bar & Rolled pin

-

photorep

Reaction score
Hi:
I have just rebuilt the front suspension on my '74 Scamp...

1. The torsion bars have makings on one end that shows the letters BK.
The left one had that end to the rear. When I removed the right one the letters BK were to the front. I assumed that BK meant back...as install towards the back. Is this right. I am going to reinstall this weekend and should I put them back in at the same orientation as removed or put the right one in the same direction as the left one....BK towards the back???

2. In dissembling the suspension, I lost one of the rolled steel pins that go into the front of the strut rod and now I find that I have misplaced the remaining one somewhere in the disaster that is my garage. Does anyone know what the size of thesespins are so that I can go and get new ones??
Thanks for your help

Attachments

• IMG_0011a.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0012a.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 224
make sure you get your left and right back where they go with . i have never worried about which end i put in front or back, and ive never had an issue, but since you have a BK on it, i would put that to the rear, although i dont know if thats what it means. your strut rod bushing kit didnt come with new roll pins?

NOt sure on the roll pins, but the torsion bars can go in either way. It makes no difference, only that you get left and right correct. The "BK" does not mean back.

Don't remember the size of the roll pins. What I did was use my drill bits to determine the size of the hole and then went to the local Ace hardware and bought a couple. Some folks just use a cotter pin.
C

I just use a cotter pin on my strut rods. Easier to get out when you need to and serves the purpose just as well.

Most put the numbers at the rear, so you might read them installed. Make sure you get L & R on the correct sides. Yours is easy, since "R" means "right side". According to my info, yours is the "890" bar, which is 0.85"D and found on 2 bbl V-8 (and slants w/ factory AC?). I don't know what the "393" means, but have seen that before. Yours has the "890 R" on both ends.

My 64 & 65 don't even have a hole in the strut rods. I recall seeing a cotter pin in other cars. That seems more secure than a roll pin.

Most put the numbers at the rear, so you might read them installed. Make sure you get L & R on the correct sides. Yours is easy, since "R" means "right side". According to my info, yours is the "890" bar, which is 0.85"D and found on 2 bbl V-8 (and slants w/ factory AC?). I don't know what the "393" means, but have seen that before. Yours has the "890 R" on both ends.

My 64 & 65 don't even have a hole in the strut rods. I recall seeing a cotter pin in other cars. That seems more secure than a roll pin.

Well said

.............I'm a stickler 4 putting them back in the way they came out......by swapping the bar end for end u r now twisting the bar the opposite way when u adj it.........kim......

No you aren't..

Grant

Ditto. That has been argued many times. Kimmer, If you don't believe it, take a length of paper and twist it, then turn it around. Similarly take a piece of "all-thread" and flip it around. Is it still a right-handed thread?

If you swap L & R, you are now twisting them in the opposite direction. I did that accidentally on my 69 Dart, years ago before the internet made getting advice easy. Fixed my sagging front since I barely got the bars in. Many say they will snap if you do that. I drove it ~4 yrs until it was stolen.

-
Back