200 4R Install Questions.

-
Anyone know if there is a reusable gasket for a 200-4R? I've looked and haven't found one. I'd love to put one in the next time the pan comes off.

C300,

Thanks I'm really happy with the install too. It's a great piece. They suggest welding the entire x-member to the floor, I only did 4 or 5 2" stitch weld front and back to mine. My end plates I made for the the old x-member overlap up onto the new one about an inch also. I figure the factory one was only spot welded to the floor in a few places so I'm sure stitching would be fine... But that's just me.

The pan holds 2 extra qts. It is massive compared to stock for sure. Ive heard the in some cars drag racing the trans has the ability to suck the factory pan and top Feed filter dry...you may know better from your Monte Carlo SS experience, but I digured it was cheap insurance... It sits almost exactly level with my headers now.

I got my driveshaft loop from someone on eBay, they're Mopar A body specific... Don't know the sellers name, it's a really nice part also, although it sits right where my bucket seats bolt in.

I run caltracs and split monos and put about 2k miles on it that way. I'm happy with it.

Joe
Thanks Joeboy, really appreciate your information. Don't think I Sucked the pan dry. Heard about it. Could be why the converter was getting toasted though. I did install a cooler bigger than the AC condenser, huge.
That pan looks thick so I'm sure it's tuff. That come with the Extreme Auto ? If not, who's making it? I'm going to need one. How's the split leaf handle on the street? I'm not liking the safety aspect of it. The Hodgekis 3 leafs seems stronger, and (seams) safer. Anyone using them ? Wondering about handling. Going to be up against my brothers '68 340 car with C5 suspension. Not looking to get spanked on the road course!

The pans from Hughes performance $200ish through summit... It is beefy,and has a nice thick mounting face which I always like.

It does pretty good on the street. I have strange adjustable shocks with em. I usually back off my caltracs about 1/4" when I'm just cruising for a while otherwise it is a bit stiff. I also change the shocks down to 4 or 5 on the street. I have .92 mopar torsion bars up front, and overall it does great for what I do, it's not a corner carver, but no where near a boat. I only have tiny factory bars and worn out leafs with junk shocks to compare it to. I feel like there was somebody that had excessive front spring flex and pinion mvmt with the hotchkis stuff try searching the "rebirth of dustbull" thread (or something like that...)

I too ordered the Hughes pan so it would use the 700-R4 pickup which feeds from the bottom, thus eliminating any cavitation/air sucking issues on hard launches. I was concerned about the depth of the pan and how low it will hang, but I'm more concerned about the pickup getting air in it and burning up the trans.

To the OP, I just ordered the converter for my 200 build from FTI. It was between them and Circle D for me. Circle D hadn't built a custom converter like this before so they quoted $1100 to build it. FTI had done this before (similar anyhow) and it cost me $830 to have them build this one. Will be a 4500 stall with manual single disk lock-up. Justin was the guy I worked with.

To the other guys who are looking to build one of these, don't hesitate to look around local to get one built. I know Extreme Automatics makes a really good unit, but you pay for it. I bought some of their parts like the billet forward drum, a 300M input shaft, and their adapter ring for the Reid bellhousing. With the way it's being built, I'd put it right there with their stage 2. The 300M input shaft is WAY overkill but stock ones have been known to break around 550 hp which is around where I'm at so I bought the insurance. Total, I'll be in the trans (without converter) for right at $1500 when all said and done, whereas $2200+ for the EA unit (and maybe you have to pay shipping too?). Plus if I have a problem with the trans, at least I'm going to be dealing with someone local that I can bring the car or trans to and talk face to face about it and get it sorted instead of calling over the phone and letting them guess as to what the issue is. Either way, the trans will be a good swap.

I too ordered the Hughes pan so it would use the 700-R4 pickup which feeds from the bottom, thus eliminating any cavitation/air sucking issues on hard launches. I was concerned about the depth of the pan and how low it will hang, but I'm more concerned about the pickup getting air in it and burning up the trans.

To the OP, I just ordered the converter for my 200 build from FTI. It was between them and Circle D for me. Circle D hadn't built a custom converter like this before so they quoted $1100 to build it. FTI had done this before (similar anyhow) and it cost me $830 to have them build this one. Will be a 4500 stall with manual single disk lock-up. Justin was the guy I worked with.

Clint, I don't think you need to worry about pan height really, yeah mine hangs lower, but it's truly almost the exact height of the headers, so if you're at a height that clears cruising now, you'll be fine with the new pan.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that Joe. Haven't really seen many complete with headers on with that pan.

To the other guys who are looking to build one of these, don't hesitate to look around local to get one built. I know Extreme Automatics makes a really good unit, but you pay for it. I bought some of their parts like the billet forward drum, a 300M input shaft, and their adapter ring for the Reid bellhousing. With the way it's being built, I'd put it right there with their stage 2. The 300M input shaft is WAY overkill but stock ones have been known to break around 550 hp which is around where I'm at so I bought the insurance. Total, I'll be in the trans (without converter) for right at $1500 when all said and done, whereas $2200+ for the EA unit (and maybe you have to pay shipping too?). Plus if I have a problem with the trans, at least I'm going to be dealing with someone local that I can bring the car or trans to and talk face to face about it and get it sorted instead of calling over the phone and letting them guess as to what the issue is. Either way, the trans will be a good swap.

There's a bit more than just changing a few hard parts that goes into a well built transmission. Knowing what parts to use and which parts to modify can make or break a build. As long as you know what you are doing, go for it.

Even guys like Art Carr can't figure out how to run a lock-up converter with them. There are some shops out there that specialize in building these specific transmissions, but not many. That speaks volumes to me.

There's a bit more than just changing a few hard parts that goes into a well built transmission. Knowing what parts to use and which parts to modify can make or break a build. As long as you know what you are doing, go for it.

Even guys like Art Carr can't figure out how to run a lock-up converter with them. There are some shops out there that specialize in building these specific transmissions, but not many. That speaks volumes to me.

Oh yeah there's lot more to it than what I mentioned. Those two parts just happen to be a couple of known problematic issues in higher HP applications that could cause a catastrophic failure. There's still a lot of other things that can go out but won't do near the damage if they fail vs the input shaft or drum failure. The guy that's building it seems pretty sharp. He's been on point with any of my questions or concerns and he's making me a good deal on the build. I've called "reputable" shops that build 200-4R's all the time and some seemed to only half know what they are talking about. The more I hear about problems with Art Carr, the more I'd want to stay away from them.

First off, thank you all for you posts a write ups. You all have talked my into going with the 200r4. I know it will make driving my Duster a whole lot more fun, as it won't eat so much fuel and drone me out on the highway.

I was just curious though. I love my manual Valve Body in my 904, but can you get a manual VB with the 200r4, or it is just full auto?

Never mind I found my answer on the Extreme Automatics web site. I didn't see it on Art Carr's sites. But, I seen they do make a revers manual valve body for them. That makes me even more excited to get one.

Looking at doing the 200-4R swap in the future, anyone here have this transmission with a column shift? I really enjoy the free room in the front seat. My car has the bench seat with the arm rest, and my daughter likes to sit in the middle when we go for cruises around the neighborhood. I am curious if there is a replacement indicator for the column so that it will indicate for 4th gear

Yes, Reid SFI rated bellhousing and Lonnie of Extreme Automatic's CNC'd adapter. It isn't the cheapest way to go, but they have top-shelf customer service and put out a great product. The transmission's gearing with 3.91's or 4.10's is perfect for launching and high speed freeway cruising. It feels like a 5 speed. Not sure why someone like Art Carr cant figure out how to do this, but the lock-up converter is something I would never want to be without. Even with a modern high-efficiency, high stall torque converter, mine drops at least 300 rpm on the highway when it locks-up.

I did use a high quality torque converter with 3000 stall and 3 carbon fiber lock-up clutches from Precision of New Hampton, ask for Milt. The overall length of the converter is critical get right. This allows a certain amount of freeplay for the converter once the bellhousing/trans and block are all bolted up. Too tight and the converter is pushed into the transmission causing damage and too loose and the converter can come out of the transmission disengaging the pump tabs etc. Its not hard to figure out, but it must be within spec. Milt has those measurements for my small block. They should be the same on your big block, but he can guide you on that.

Here's a few pictures to give you an idea of why someone might want to spend the money on this combo. I drove the car nearly 400 miles each way to pull off a win against a Hellcat, several other modern Hemi powered cars and a bunch of other vehicles, and I got over 18 mpg on the freeway at 80 mph. This was with only 410 hp. I'm upping that to just over 510 in the next few weeks.

View attachment 1714930486

View attachment 1714930487

What did you do about flex plate? Do you also still use a typical converter as far as mounting points? Just wondering if you need a Frankenstein.

Looking at doing the 200-4R swap in the future, anyone here have this transmission with a column shift? I really enjoy the free room in the front seat. My car has the bench seat with the arm rest, and my daughter likes to sit in the middle when we go for cruises around the neighborhood. I am curious if there is a replacement indicator for the column so that it will indicate for 4th gear

I got one off another GM car, had to make some minor modifications to get it to fit, then I bought a long shifter rod and bent it until it shifted properly. Of course this was all done on a '59 Studebaker Silver Hawk (auto column) for my daughter but the method should be the same:

DSC05087.JPG
DSC05088.JPG

This last pic is before I had finished sanding, grinding and painting. Once it was in the car no one could tell what I had done. The really, really hard part was making the detent bracket to make the shift arm (lever) fall into the correct positions to match the gears positions on the indicator.

DSC05685.JPG

DSC04483.JPG
DSC04486.JPG

I installed a Chevy 350 with 2004R into the Silver Hawk and my daughter drives it to school everyday!!

Treblig

What did you do about flex plate? Do you also still use a typical converter as far as mounting points? Just wondering if you need a Frankenstein.

For a 340, you need a JW Flywheel 93009-LC - $270 and a JW Crank Adapter 80012 - $80. The LC is lightweight. There is a heavier version which I think is just -C. The converter needs about 6.5" spacing (varies) and is normally built at 6.0". FTI built mine with 6.25 spacing and sent .25" spacers with it.

Last edited:

I used the stock 5.9 Magnum flexplate because it has the tone ring for the EFI built in, and had the converter custom made to fit. The rear half looks like the GM converter the front half looks like a Mopar converter. Precision of New Hampton made the converter, and it was a bolt in deal with the Reid Bellhousing. No spacers, no fuss, just bolt it together. It was easier this way in my opinion. They know what both parts look like and only needed the overall measurements. They have them now and can easily reproduce them by the thousands.

-
Back