2000 360 engine- put in car or truck? What is needed?

-

john27pa

74 360/904 Duster
Reaction score
I just bought a wrecked 2000 Durango with a 360 in it. I am looking at several options and not sure what to do or how to do them. I am thinking that I want to put it in either my 74 Duster or my 98 Dakota. My duster has a 360 in it now but it has 200K miles on it. Doesn't burn oil or smoke but did just put a new cam in it due to flattened lobes. The 98 Dakota is a 4cyl 5 speed in which it has a thrown rod.

If I put in Duster- what and how do I get it to work? Do I get the carb intake for it or what do I need to do to make it fuel injected?

The Dakota- well- prob cant use the 5 speed, can I? Will the 5 speed hold up? Bolt up with an adapter?I can put the auto trans from Durango in it but I think Im looking at more work than what its worth.

Im leaning towards putting in duster. Any links on how to change it to fuel injection car? Pricey? The Dakpta- may just find some 4 cyl 2.5 ltr jeep motor to put in it and sell it. All it needs is a motor and tires.

I am running into this blind, any and all help is greatly appreciated. BTW-the 2000 donor Durango is all there- just had a front end collision. So anyone needing parts is welcome to ask. I have a 98 Durango and I think everything is interchangeable- so I also have the option of saving parts for my older Durango. Thanks everyone in advance.

These motors are the same platform as the 360 magnum crate motor. everything is available for the install change it to carb.

Mopar Action dropped a Mag 360,in a late model Dak a while back smog legal.Also dropped one in a 62 Savoy,with factory EFI.Mopar Performance came and did the initial laptop tune.That is now available over the counter at any Direct Connection dealer. I did the swap,on a 72 Scamp,carb'ed. Check out, www.360 Magnumswap.com.A member here ,made the website,just for this.

i am currently putting a 5.2L 2001 Dodge ram motor in my 68 Barracuda.There is a thread on this site where someone put the 5.9L (Jeep) in a Dart. Here's what I know so far:
The old motor mount brackets bolt directly onto the Magnum.
You have to switch oil pans. You need The pickup in the back.
The new flex plate will work with minor modifications to one bolt hole.
The old oil filter adapter is compatible.
That's all I know for sure

The motor bolts to the transmission w/ no modification. You will have to grind an access window for the crank sensor.
The new starter is supposed to bolt right up. It should be the new high torque unit.
You will have to modify the dipstick
You will have to install an electric fuel pump for fuel injection. I was told you could install a unit in the gas tank onto the old sending unit. Or. you can go with an external unit. Keep in mind the fuel system is high pressure compared to the old mechanical pump. You also have to add a fuel return to the tank.
You should install a gigantic fuel filter.
I'm prepping my engine compartment for paint and etc., so that's as far as I've gotten. you will need to use the accelerator cable from the donor.
I'm not sure about the trans throttle pressure linkage/cable. Don't know about a speed indicator sensor. Some vehicles have a fuel tank sensor, don't know about that.
The PCM is supposed to be an easy installation. There are some peculiar things that have to be wired into the PCM, but the wiring diagram covers all that. I also was told that the older units OBDI were easier to install, but we have to work with what we got.
The main thing is to remove the under hood wiring harness in one piece.
OK = now that you know that - PIECE of CAKE! You can tell me the rest of the steps!
I plan to wire in the new fuse box and all. There may be a lot of goodies in there. Headlight relays and all that stuff! Good luck and keep us posted. I'll start a thread when I lower the engine in.
Jim

Depending on converter/flywheel. The stock Magnum flex plate,needs one hole elongated(Match it up).Saveu the F.I equipment. If running headers,mock it up,on a engine stand. Might need grinding,on the driver's side.Some friendly pointers.

I have headers, Dynamax, but I'm seriously considering using the Ram manifolds. They're HUGE! Everybody says to throw the Dynamax headers in the trash - but they were new and cheap!

DO you have to change out the wiring harness if your going carb route?

No, the harness is mainly for the injectors and PCM. There is a problem with the LA intake manifolds fitting on the Magnum heads, though. I was told you can use the old style heads with the Magnum block. I was also told you can use the fuel injection with a "plug and play" aftermarket PCM.
You have to make provisions for your fuel pump. The new style Magnum has nowhere to bolt on a mechanical fuel pump. I don't know if the timing covers are interchangeable.

No, the harness is mainly for the injectors and PCM. There is a problem with the LA intake manifolds fitting on the Magnum heads, though. I was told you can use the old style heads with the Magnum block. I was also told you can use the fuel injection with a "plug and play" aftermarket PCM.
You have to make provisions for your fuel pump. The new style Magnum has nowhere to bolt on a mechanical fuel pump. I don't know if the timing covers are interchangeable.

if you want to use a factory LA engine's intake you have to have the magnum heads re drilled for the bolt pattern

otherwise they make both a magnum 4 barrel intake, and a dual pattern LA and magnum 4 barrel intake

but if your putting a magnum engine in your vehicle why not go with the bonus of having EFI, its quite simple after you learn the components that make it run

-
Back