2001 Ram 1500 Start engine without transmission cooler lines connected to radiator??

-

sam69sat

Reaction score
Looking at a 2001 ram 1500 with a 5.9 magnum and blown transmission. I'm only interested in the engine. The owner put a new radiator (red flag) but didn't attach the transmission cooler lines. Looks like a fitting issue. If i start it up, will it spray tranmission fluid out of the cooler lines?

I'll probably pass on it but if they'll let me do a compression check, runs good, and doesn't overheat i might grab it. I saw the old radiator and it was really banged up but i know these engines can be prone to cracked heads. The only reason i'm still thinking about it is because it's local and only has 150K. The oil was pretty black and i could feel a little sludge when i stuck my finger in the valve cover leading me to think they probably didn't maintain it well.

Looking at a 2001 ram 1500 with a 5.9 magnum and blown transmission. I'm only interested in the engine. The owner put a new radiator (red flag) but didn't attach the transmission cooler lines. Looks like a fitting issue. If i start it up, will it spray tranmission fluid out of the cooler lines?

I'll probably pass on it but if they'll let me do a compression check, runs good, and doesn't overheat i might grab it. I saw the old radiator and it was really banged up but i know these engines can be prone to cracked heads. The only reason i'm still thinking about it is because it's local and only has 150K. The oil was pretty black and i could feel a little sludge when i stuck my finger in the valve cover leading me to think they probably didn't maintain it well.
No, it wont.

The pump is in the transmission , not the rad.

True about the cracked heads but believe it or not, where they crack usually doesn't affect performance.

If you can, pull the valve covers you can verify sludge and also, if you can get a borescope (rent from Petboys etc..) it will let you see inside the cylinders.

If the vehicle used synthetic oil as was recommended, you may still see crosshatch marks on the cylinder walls.

Great engine to use BTW !!

why not loop the two transmission lines together at the rad with a hose and clamps , that way it bypasses the rad cooler and no fluid is lost.

Those clamp things aren't made/intended to hold pressure, trust me, I had a coupla sets.
They are fine to plug the lines while the rad is out (for repair)to stop drips/leaking on the floor.
Looping the lines with a hose and clamps will hold the pressure.
(Demolition Derby tested, lol)
Cheers

Thanks guys. Figured that might be the case. Didn't want to spray atf all over the engine bay and their driveway so i didn't attempt to start it.

-
Back