2002 dodge 4.7 Engine sludge

-

Mopar367

Reaction score
I have a 2002 dodge ram 4.7. When I open the oil filler cap it is filled with white crap, sludge I guess. I always change my oil every 5000 kms. Just wondering if anybody else had this problem, and what I can do to fix it? I am going to remove the PCV valve and clean or replace it. Should I use seafoam or anything ? or should I just live with it, as I have heard it is a chronic problem for these engines.

the 98-02 2.7 engines were notorious for locking up due to sludge. just google mopar 2.7 litre engine sludge failure. you'll get a million hits. you might find something on the 4.7. there was an internal defect where water leaked into the crankcase. we had a 2002 concord with 66,000 miles and the 2.7 . after i read all that , we traded it in the very next weekend. 2 weeks later we got an email from the dealer telling us it locked up , even after their techs gave it the green light before the trade.

it could just be condensation in your case

My truck has done this since I first got it. I don't think its coolant leaking from internally. Im never low on coolant, and truck runs great. Just get a ton of white milky **** in the oil fill tube. Like enough to scoop out with a spoon a few times.

I had a 03 durango and it did the same thing. I've heard of sludge problems trashing the motors, but most of the forums suggest if you stay on top of the oil changes it wont blow up. Seems like most of the "junk 4.7" claims are from non-automotive types that think you can go several thousand miles over on an oil change. I ran mobil 1 and it reduced the sludge you are describing in my case. For a while i took the baffle out of the oil fill thinger and it got even worse, so don't do that. I simply cleaned it whenever I checked of changed the oil. fwiw, Im halfassed looking for another Durango and I definitely prefer a 4.7 over a 5.2/5.9 due to better mpg, power, and transmission.

I sometimes run different oils, I don't stick to the same one. I currently have pennzoil in there with detergents to reduce sludge. So the bottle claims. I also like the 4.7 engine in my truck. I have no complaints other than the sludge and the AC compressor clutch problems. You think I should switch to synthetic? And if I do should I seafoam it before to clean some of the gunk out of it?

It's condensation, they are known for it. Change PCV valve and make sure PCV hose is not constricted, if it is, clean w intake cleaner. It is also a good idea to add oil system cleaner to crankcase before oil changes to help cut down on sludge, and to run synthetic oil in these engines.

on the 2.7's when the water pump shaft seal fails instead of leaking externally, it leaks into the oil pan. thats where a lot of the horror stories of the 2.7 sprout from. as for the 4.7, they all are known for sludge and condensation buildup. The oil pickup tube is the first to load up with goo, then it starves the rest of the engine, main and rod bearings fail. this has been known to happen even with regular oil changes AND with synthetics and "super razoo" oils. for whatever reason these problems seem to come up (to the average user) as a misfire, intermittent, then the oil pressure gauge will drop off, and come back, intermittently. most pass it off as an electrical or sender issue....most of the time the engines already eaten itself....

i have read alot of people using seafoam
my 03 gets the white milky deposits on the cap as well, i switched to synthetic and it helped out alot but i since switched back to conventional oil.

I have read that the 4.7l suffers from a small oil pump which creates a lot of the milky issue. If you are able to get a bigger pump it helps out alot. This is what i have seen done on alot of the performance 4.7l that have been tweaked to max potential. I cant find the forum i was reading where i found out about this information. So who knows how reliable it is.

The other thing that wipes out these motors is the loooong timing chain that wears the guides down till the piston smacks a valve......

OK here is what I know as I have a 2000 Dakota with the 4.7. The oil fill tube is actually the highest part of the engine an all the crank case vapor (water) builds up at that location. Dodge had a service bulletin out and was to replace the oil filler cap when customers filed a complaint with the dealers. So I would suggest going to a local dealer and ask about the supposed new and approved cap. I just change me oil and have 220,000 miles on my truck with no issues.

-
Back