2002 mustang GT rear end in duster???

-

dusterdan

Sublime Member
Reaction score
hey guys, wondering how much would be involved to put a 2002 mustang rear end in my duster? not worried about custom driveshaft but for $250, disc brakes, posi, and a nice 3.73 gear ratio i'm having a tough time thinking about an 8.75:( I realize i would have to reweld spring mounts but what about width is this thing even feasible AND advisable? thank you all in advance! -Dan

got some more info..looks like this is an 8.8 rear end. same as the explorers? i have noo clue!

What's the distance from backing plate to backing plate? You can get the spring mounting plates and have them welded on. The brake line connection might take a little figuring and the E brake could need some engineering. I can't see it being too hard! It sounds like a nice idea!

Robbie, i will find out thanks! Where did you get your engine brace that goes from shock tower to shock tower?

Hahaha yea i have a tyrant brand on my forehead LOL well the stang rear end was already gone so that won't happen! possibly for the good of the order:) now onto the search for an affordable 8.75 wohoo:)

Apparently 8.8's are "the thing to have" now.

Apparently 8.8's are "the thing to have" now.

But they aren't any stronger than an 8.75 , they use a crush sleeve stock , c clips and the axles break with the right amount of horsepower and slicks, A friend has blown up 2 behind 300ish HP 302's with a 5 speed and slicks .

Dr. Diff sells a powdercoated A body ready to bolt in housing for 250 , if I were looking for one I would just buy that , upgraded axles and find a good used chuck. Brakes are easy to get unless you want to switch to 4whl disc ...

Robbie, i will find out thanks! Where did you get your engine brace that goes from shock tower to shock tower?
I made it from 1 1/2 " EMT (electrical conduit from Home Depot) I have a bender from Harbor Freight and I'm learning to use it. All together I have about 15.00 in it. I can feel the difference in the way the car feels. It's tighter now and I'm happy with it!

Just did one up for a 68 Barracuda from an Explorer: Get 2 short side axles, section 3" out from the long tube (from the center, if you cut the end off your new weld will take the highest amount of stress as the roller bearings are right at the end) chamfer cut ends and weld using angle irons at 90 degrees to keep everything straight. Grind weld smooth if that is your thing, I knocked the globs off and coated with body seam sealer to seal any porosity. Shoot bare metal with semi gloss to prevent rust. 43" A body perch width is exactly 4 inches inboard of outer edge of brake flange. Ranger rear is similiar but has drum brakes, Mustang rear is similiar but I believe it already has the short axles as a pair.
264.JPG
265.JPG
266.JPG

-
Back