2004 hemi Alternater wiring

-

Coolda

Coolda
Reaction score
I have a 2004 5.7 hemi and I am installing it in a 1925 ford(sorry) T steel roadster. I have it in the car already hooked up to a 727. I will be running it "old school with a carb." Now I am in the process figuring if I should run the "fast or the MSD ignition". I wish I could find a system "cheap". So if anybody has a system they want to sell, PM me Thanks !
BUT here is my question, I want to run the alternater that was on the hemi when I bought it but how does this wire up ?.... Any answers would be appreciated(does it wire up in the ignition ?). Thanks to ALL of you !:hmph::toothy3:

Not sure what kind of setup you might have in the T, but the stock 5.7 alternator in my car just wires to the original voltage regulator. I think the regulator is built into the computer on the new cars, but you can run a standalone one if you just wire it that way. As I recall one wire goes to switch 12v and the other goes to the field wire input on the voltage regulator. Might want to wait and see if someone can chime in and double check that for me.

the alternator has no internal regulator??? duh, in this case I have to look here local for something like Bosch or japanese...

the alternator has no internal regulator??? duh, in this case I have to look here local for something like Bosch or japanese...

as far as I know the regulator is in the computer, just buy a regulator for any pre 1986 dodge truck and wire it up like this, blue is switched power and goes to alternator and regulator, green just goes from alternator to regulator, and the large red just goes to battery

Attachments

• Dual_Field_Alternator_Wiring.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 4,440
66ply, are you sure? I was under the impression that the late stuff had one brush grounded, like the 69/ earlier Mopar stuff.

The regulator IS in the computer.

Wire it like the diagram supplied by 66plyValiant and it will work perfectly!

Regards,

Joe Dokes

When I did my transplant with my 5.7 I took the stock alt to a alternator guy and he made it into a 1 wire alternator and made things simple!!!!! He put a bosch regulator {very small} on the back of my alt---Steve

I think you can wire it sort of either way on the one wire / two wire stuff. Basically you just need to have some sort of external regulator that cuts the field. If you have the field internally grounded you need a regulator that cuts the supply, otherwise I think the stock old style regulator is set up in such a way that it cuts the ground on the field instead of the power. If you have a different style regulator you can probably wire it differently. Pretty sure the two wires on the alternator are basically just the two ends of a big coil.

However, I can attest for sure that the old style regulators like 66Ply posted work fine as that it what I'm using in my car right now with no problems and would be what I would recommend.

Thanks to ALL of you for your replys !! This is very helpful.. I will post picts of my car. I built my own headers and tunnel ram intake.
Thanks again to ALL of you.
Coolda from MN.:toothy8:

Thanks to ALL of you for your replys !! This is very helpful.. I will post picts of my car. I built my own headers and tunnel ram intake.
Here they are...

Attachments

• hemi headers1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 450
  • hemi headers2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 464
Here they are...

Attachments

• hemi headers1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 462
  • hemi headers2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 441
Thats pretty cool!! As far as the alternator goes, I have a 5.7 hemi truck alternator on my 440 and its hooked up to the factory regulator on my swinger. Works like a champ!

Does it matter what field wire goes where. in otherwords- reverse them on the alternator... Thanks again.

-
Back