2008 Challenger tested by Motortrend

-
the new chally has a 3.06 final drive, weighs 4100+ pounds without the driver and still pulls those numbers. I love my Duster too but give them some credit, your talking a fully optioned car you can take on a trip. now granted it's cheaper for straight line thrills to build what alot of us have in our garages but I'll take one of those over a mousetang or vette any day or a crotch rocket.

Sorry not true..it takes a combination of parts and the knowledge to know how to make all those parts work together to get a car from point "a "to point "b"in the fastest time,some guys know how to some don't...

And your machinist and builder did quite well. What did you do other than pay 'em? Big deal, you got a fat wallet.:snakeman: You would have been my perfect customer 15 years ago except most of my customers listened. You can't compare the new Challenger to a strip only car. My goodness man, it leaves @ 1800 rpm in Drive and has USB interface for your mp3 player for crying out loud.

Yes, I can build my Duster to pull a 10 sec 1/4 mile for less than you paid to have someone else do the dirty work for you, and a lot less than the new Challenger cost, but dude! It stops, it turns, it's too quiet inside and has every do dad you'd ever want. 4.7 sec to 60 mph in drive, brother! Full interior too! Not too long ago someone posted pictures from a car show that had a 'Cuda with a full interior and a freakin' parachute. That's cool.

Now can you lighten up a bit and quit being so negative? Can you add something to this forum that can truly help, or at least make someone feel good about what they can afford? I'm barely making the new house payment until the future wife pulls her head out her *** and gets her **** together and I'm sure that there's many of out here with a buttload of "real engine building and restoration experience" but are just f'kd for some reason or other, weather it be age, divorce, new baby or whatever.

Just think about this for a minute or two for Pete's sake.

Thank you,

Ramcharger

To me it is just a 300C with retro sheetmetal on it. It just doesn't do anything for me. Esp for the price. I will keep driving my mundane 04 Mustang. Payments are 0/month, it is a 2 dr, it gets good gas mileage, handles pretty good and will tow my bikes.
If I want to tow something bigger (like the Dart), out comes the Dakota R/T.
If I want to go real fast and have good mileage, the I bring out the big gun.

P8261961.jpg

+1 on that. I am glad that Chrysler built this car but 4,200 lbs? Seriously?

Chrysler today has nothing at all in common with the corp. that built our cars back in the day, other than use of the name.

It will not be long before Chrysler is bought by another auto manufacturer, most likely Nissan.

The balance sheet for Chrysler is in very bad shape, not much is selling in sufficient quantity to maintain the current capacity.

Way too many vehicles that nobody wants, and far too many vehicles with poor fuel economy ratings compared to the competition.

Look for Cerberus to sell this business within 2 years, max.

And your machinist and builder did quite well. What did you do other than pay 'em? Big deal, you got a fat wallet.:snakeman: You would have been my perfect customer 15 years ago except most of my customers listened. You can't compare the new Challenger to a strip only car. My goodness man, it leaves @ 1800 rpm in Drive and has USB interface for your mp3 player for crying out loud.

Yes, I can build my Duster to pull a 10 sec 1/4 mile for less than you paid to have someone else do the dirty work for you, and a lot less than the new Challenger cost, but dude! It stops, it turns, it's too quiet inside and has every do dad you'd ever want. 4.7 sec to 60 mph in drive, brother! Full interior too! Not too long ago someone posted pictures from a car show that had a 'Cuda with a full interior and a freakin' parachute. That's cool.

Now can you lighten up a bit and quit being so negative? Can you add something to this forum that can truly help, or at least make someone feel good about what they can afford? I'm barely making the new house payment until the future wife pulls her head out her *** and gets her **** together and I'm sure that there's many of out here with a buttload of "real engine building and restoration experience" but are just f'kd for some reason or other, weather it be age, divorce, new baby or whatever.

Just think about this for a minute or two for Pete's sake.

Thank you,

Ramcharger

First off my wallet is far from fat,i just know where to invest my money and time to get the best results from my 'street' car ..no strip only car here!!..Secondly i was doing cam swaps and other motor work on 340's back when i was 15..and was a mechanic for 15 years before switching jobs i just don't have the place or equipment to be doing my own motor work now,so i pay top notch people too do it for me,that gives me the piece of mind its being done correctly,,as for the new challenger if people think 13.1's are quick you'd probably have a heart attack if you ever drove a "real"car...:-D

First off my wallet is far from fat,i just know where to invest my money and time to get the best results from my 'street' car ..no strip only car here!!..Secondly i was doing cam swaps and other motor work on 340's back when i was 15..and was a mechanic for 15 years before switching jobs i just don't have the place or equipment to be doing my own motor work now,so i pay top notch people too do it for me,that gives me the piece of mind its being done correctly,,as for the new challenger if people think 13.1's are quick you'd probably have a heart attack if you ever drove a "real"car...:-D

You hardly drive your "street car" on the street. Unless you use it as a daily driver, there is no point for comparison on this thread.

Why don't you tell us what you think is faster than 13.1 on a $40k DAILY DRIVER?

You hardly drive your "street car" on the street. Unless you use it as a daily driver, there is no point for comparison on this thread.

Why don't you tell us what you think is faster than 13.1 on a $40k DAILY DRIVER?

I not comparing my car to that thing,there is no comparison my car is all out muscle that challenger is a wannabe!!! and for 40k...correction less then 20k i'm sure i could build a daily driver that would smoke that plastic thing also...

I not comparing my car to that thing,there is no comparison my car is all out muscle that challenger is a wannabe!!! and for 40k...correction less then 20k i'm sure i could build a daily driver that would smoke that plastic thing also...

You can't answer the question I asked. You said "as for the new challenger if people think 13.1's are quick you'd probably have a heart attack if you ever drove a "real"car..."

What is this real car you keep comparing to the new Challenger?

You can't answer the question I asked. You said "as for the new challenger if people think 13.1's are quick you'd probably have a heart attack if you ever drove a "real"car..."

What is this real car you keep comparing to the new Challenger?

Well i guess i'd consider my duster a real car,as a matter of fact if i took you for a blast down the 1/4 mile in it you'd probabbly piss your pants from fear..lol...

Well i guess i'd consider my duster a real car,as a matter of fact if i took you for a blast down the 1/4 mile in it you'd probabbly piss your pants from fear..lol...

So you are comparing your Duster to the new Challenger. You said "I not comparing my car to that thing,". Get your story straight.

I wouldn't piss in my pants, but I would piss on you.

Now this is a pissing contest lol.

I'd take a Challenger. I think its a nice retro design. Sure, interior could be more retro too, but it's fine. Petty Blue with white interior and vinly top.

Grant

Now this is a pissing contest lol.

I'd take a Challenger. I think its a nice retro design. Sure, interior could be more retro too, but it's fine. Petty Blue with white interior and vinly top.

Grant

HAHA! I guess that's what it turned into...literally.

I put some questions out there for the guy and he keeps giving oddball answers. Just goes to show he can't handle a proactive discussion.

Mines Bigger
My car is faster
I have more money
I can get any chick I want
I am numero uno!!!
There, I feel better now.

So you are comparing your Duster to the new Challenger. You said "I not comparing my car to that thing,". Get your story straight.

I wouldn't piss in my pants, but I would piss on you.

MY my we do talk tough behind a keyboard!!!! if you think the '08 challenger is all that then good for you,ma mopar has'nt made anything worth my money since '72....

Ah more drama... and who'd have thunk at the center of the drama would be...

Carry on, this is fun to read.

MY my we do talk tough behind a keyboard!!!! if you think the '08 challenger is all that then good for you,ma mopar has'nt made anything worth my money since '72....

Exactly the same thing I was thinking about you...just giving you a taste of your own medicine.

I only wish Ma Mopar made what they did pre 72'. The new Challenger may not be there yet, but it's a step in the right direction. I think the new Challenger is heavy too. But given all the challenges that automakers deal with in bringing a new car to the market, I would say Chrysler did a pretty good job here. If you hate it now. Wait until 2012 when the Hemi goes away for good due to emissions...

This is an awsome thread i love the anger in the room:snakeman::smilebox::-\":boxing::argue::angry5:](*,)disgust:booty::angryfir::angry4::poke::mad::angry3::director:[-:)blob6::naka:\\:D/:crybaby::wav::axe:[-X:banghead::rambo::coffee2::violent1::cussing::happy1::happy1::thefinge::bom::evil3::burnout:I LOVE IT:munky2:

Can't we all just get along? But really, My Duster rules!! I would rather have an old mopar but it is nice to see them at least pull this off, cause Mother Mopar is barely hangin in there which sucks and one day all we will have is our fellow Mopar Hobbyist to talk about how great Mopar is cause the magazines wont be. GM and Toyota will have merged bought up Ford and mazda and everyone will have to drive a 3 batteried eggmobile.

I would love to have my 65 Dart perform like the new Challenger. I know it will take $$$ and a lot more know-how that I currently have. At lease I now have a small idea of the work required to make the Challenger perform like it does with a warranty.

So being on the cheap, I relate to the the 40K being too much (for my wallet and priorities).

I still think it is cool and would eagerly volunteer to ride shotgun if someone from the board buys one.

For that matter anyone's sorted out a-body that can run less than 13 seconds. Go fast is go fast to me. I need my horizons expanded on what truly fast is.

Lets put the same accessories (to include emissions) on your Duster and find out how "FAST" it really is, oh this also means saying bye bye to the headers and going back to manifolds. I don't think there is much comparison here at all, but you are right in one aspect, the new Chally will never be the car your Duster is... They just don't make em like they used to, but I still gotta say GOD BLESS MA MOPAR for at least still tryin to do SOMETHING for us and give us something to look forward to

I'm interested to see what the new challenger will do with a few performance goodies......some good flowing headers, bigger less restrictive exhaust, maybe some fuel delivery enhancements, I'm sure there is alot of room to make this a REAL car.:)LOL I think I'm going to wait for the 2009 models and see if they offer manual shift.

-
Back