2008 SRT8 The Price Is Right ?

-
bought my 71 duster "H" code loaded for 3670.00 in Sep 1970. just retired
from working all these years and now i can't (won't) spend more than a years salarly on a car, even the Challenger SRT. i could go back to work for a year and get one......NOT!!! .....i STILL have the duster..!!.......

As we revealed a few days ago, the first Dodge Challengers to go on sale will only be 2008 SRT8 models. Today we've learned that those 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8s will carry an MSRP of $37,995 (including $675 for destination) and that dealers will begin taking orders for them as early as December 3rd

bought my 71 duster "H" code loaded for 3670.00 in Sep 1970. just retired
from working all these years and now i can't (won't) spend more than a years salarly on a car, even the Challenger SRT. i could go back to work for a year and get one......NOT!!! .....i STILL have the duster..!!.......

As we revealed a few days ago, the first Dodge Challengers to go on sale will only be 2008 SRT8 models. Today we've learned that those 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8s will carry an MSRP of $37,995 (including $675 for destination) and that dealers will begin taking orders for them as early as December 3rd

I,m going to order mine !!!!!!!!!!!!! My 05 ram 2500 was more then that!!!!!

Not that i'll ever want one,but if i'm paying that much i'll buy the "real" thing ala 70-74,before spending my money on a "wannabe"...

You know, the car makers keep wining that they are not selling cars and going broke and if they would just sell cars like they used to then they would sell plenty. When RedFish bought his Duster new, a car was about half a yearly salary, now the are at or above a yearly salary. No wonder they don't sell.

I too would love to buy one but not until cars are at the same dollar value that they were in the 60's and 70's. I like 340srule will continue to drive my "old" iron.

Chuck

When RedFish bought his Duster new, a car was about half a yearly salary, now the are at or above a yearly salary. No wonder they don't sell.
Look to the bigger city's and the salary's posted there.
Also, sports car comand more money. I wish this thing would sell for 20 - 30 grand.

I'm talking about a performance car. When the Grand National came out in 1984 it was $12,400 (I know because I almost bought one) which was half my salary of $24,000. Sure people make for than half of the price of the new Challenger but the US median income is about $38,000. The price would have to be about $20,000ish to be inline with cost of cars in the past.

I bought a new S-10 4x4 instead of the Buick GN because it was more realistic for my needs. The S-10 by the way cost me $9,800 in 1984, so I was able to buy a new 4x4 compact pick for less than half my yearly salary. Couldn't be done in todays world.

Chuck

These sporty (not sports car) 2 door cars were originally for young guys to afford while in high school and working part time. Then when marrige and babies require easy in and out of infant car seats they would trade it for a 4 door family car.
Today they build and market for those same guys in mid-life crisis.
Mom and pop want Jr. driving a ricer full of airbags anyway thinking horsepower kills.

You know, the car makers keep wining that they are not selling cars and going broke and if they would just sell cars like they used to then they would sell plenty. When RedFish bought his Duster new, a car was about half a yearly salary, now the are at or above a yearly salary. No wonder they don't sell.

I too would love to buy one but not until cars are at the same dollar value that they were in the 60's and 70's. I like 340srule will continue to drive my "old" iron.

Chuck

Did your typical 70's era muscle come with air bags ,ac,fuel injection,composite bumpers,crumple zones,on board computer,etc etc?

Plus todays cars have about 3 miles of wiring in them.

I'd say you are getting ALOT more car for your money now than 40 years ago.

Did your typical 70's era muscle come with air bags ,ac,fuel injection,composite bumpers,crumple zones,on board computer,etc etc?

I could care less about that junk, and with the electronic technology the way it is (laptops costing about $600) I find it hard to believe that it doubles the price of the car.

My example with the Buick GN has sequential fuel injection and A/C standard and that car was still half the money.

I'm not getting any more car for the money because I like most people can't see or afford spending that much salary for an auto so we are not buying.

I would say you are getting less car for the money because new cars don't last as long as the older cars. On top of that most sub assemblies are made overseas with cheaper labor than the labor they used 25 plus years ago and the cars still cost more.

The new Challenger is a great looking car and I would love to buy one and would if they lowered the price to a reasonable level. Everytime they over price a car it gets killed because of lack of sales, IE the Magnum and Prowler and soon to be Challenger if they don't make it reasonably priced like the Mustang.

Chuck

I dunno, I'm lucky enough to have the best of both worlds ... '70 Duster 340 and an '06 Charger SRT8 ... Love them both but as to which one is more fun to drive for any distance, it's the Charger by a long shot ... The car when bone stock ran a 13.18 @ 106.5 mph, and this is a car with all the bells and whistles..

HUH ? They have to put ccrumple zones and airbags on them because there is no CAR there. You could roll a VW beetle off a cliff with 5 grown men in it and they could carry the feckin thing back up to the road and drive it on. No airbags involved other than those 5 men. LOL
My lil mopar turns 41 years young Jan.17th. Old iron may rust but electronics wraped in plastic just up and dies for no reason. The 3 miles of wire might make a good tow rope. :sign5:

I'm talking about a performance car. When the Grand National came out in 1984 it was $12,400 (I know because I almost bought one) which was half my salary of $24,000. Sure people make for than half of the price of the new Challenger but the US median income is about $38,000. The price would have to be about $20,000ish to be inline with cost of cars in the past.

I bought a new S-10 4x4 instead of the Buick GN because it was more realistic for my needs. The S-10 by the way cost me $9,800 in 1984, so I was able to buy a new 4x4 compact pick for less than half my yearly salary. Couldn't be done in todays world.

Chuck

Hey Chuck, um, your talking performance car but made note of a Duster.
Economy car. Made muscled with bigger engine. That's it. Not sports or sporty. While it may have come with a more musclure motor, it was not a sporty type car like the old or new Chally is marketed to be.

Where did you get your info from on US salary's? I'd find such a site a good giggle while looking around various years.

I'm not going to split hairs here on what it should cost or how it stacks up to anyones salary. It would be a bit unfair to do that and not of a class. It is what it is. They want $38 grand, they'll get $38 grand. I don't think I'll pay that unless it is whoppin a vettes butt or damn close to it. What do those fiberglass rat box's go for anyway?

You all know something, the point made earlier about a ideally made muscle car of just a stripped down ride with big HP under the hood would be great. I allways remember the Chally as being considered upscale next to the brother car, the Cuda.
I'd take roll down windows and no-A/C etc... for less than $25 G's.

Its the air bags, all the smog stuff, power windows-which is standard on all most all cars because you can't crank the other windows down wearing a seat belt-insurance company's forced alot of this stuff.

I won't pay more than $22-$23,000 for a new car. We got a new Buick Lacross for that much. Yeah its not too fast but even after you cough up the extra $14,000 its not over. Insurance cost more, plates cost more. Its just not worth it. The Buick can go a steady 75-85 mph-me driving-and get 24 mpg-does start running out of steam after that but I don't see too many cars passing me.

The cars that can loft around 100 mph don't because the drivers are too afraid of getting a ticket, which would up their sky high insurance even more.

If they really do keep it @ $38,000 they sell a bunch. A new vette is around mid $40,000's I think.

But they most likely won't make enough and then that $38,000 price will really be $50,000 or more. Dealers are going to love it, talk about profit.

Today they build and market for those same guys in mid-life crisis.
Mom and pop want Jr. driving a ricer full of airbags anyway thinking horsepower kills.

haha, i bought my duster with a slant six, no airbags, manual drum brakes, no power steerin, no abs......the only problem my mother had with me buying a 1974 duster like this was that it was too slow. she thought the slant six was a dog and was wondering when i was gona get the v-8 done. Oh and i bought this a year and a half ago just after i turned 16, im not in a midlife crisis. :thumblef:
and she cant stand the sound of ricers, but likes glasspacked v-8s

Has anyone heard what these cars are actually selling for? Can they be had for sticker, or are the dealers adding $$$$$$ like the Ford dealers did with the GT 500?

naw, i dont care if the vette is faster. I wouldnt be caught dead in a bowtie or blue oval. Id push my duster before driving a mustang or nova

I would'nt drive a mustang or nova either..a vette is a whole different animal..

While I understand the increase in price of a car as it relates to yearly income percentage there are some other factors too. I think the R and D of a new car HAS to be a much higher percentage of the initial cost than it was in the late 60s and 70s. Airbags, crash testing, mileage, reliability, creature comforts, environmental impact and more really add up!

I really don't think these will sell for the MSRP.I thought I had read some where else that the first run is limited in number.I think dealers will jack the price of the first run of these cars.I have a relative in new car sales at our local GM/dodge dealership.I remember when the new GTO's first came out and he told me to come check them out.We did.They had a couple of them and you could not take them for a test drive!!!What no test drive????!!!I was not interested in driving one but boy was I thinking you still have to sell these things no matter how hot they were at the time.If a test drive is going to help sell why not.We all know what happened with that car.I'm going to call him today and see if he has the low down on what is going on with ordering one.I really hope these sell well.I love it.The wife and I have already talked about maybe getting one as our car will be ready to get replaced in the next 12 months.

Has anyone heard what these cars are actually selling for? Can they be had for sticker, or are the dealers adding $$$$$$ like the Ford dealers did with the GT 500?

You can count on the dealers marking them up and they will probably be just as much as a base Vette.

Dealers around here were asking $70k for new Shelby Mustangs about a half a year ago...that's off a $45k sticker.

Not that i'll ever want one,but if i'm paying that much i'll buy the "real" thing ala 70-74,before spending my money on a "wannabe"...

Not sure why you think the new Challenger is a "wannabe". The SRT8 will outperform a 70-74 stock vs stock.

I would'nt drive a mustang or nova either..a vette is a whole different animal..

Yep...the Vette is the best value between price and performance since the recent GTO...or the EVO. I may buy a Vette instead of the Challenger...unless the price of the Challenger comes back to Earth.

-
Back