2011-15 charger in the snow?

-

Johnny Mac

www.blueprintengines.com
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
Looking into a leftover 2015 charger, but we live in NE ohio. Am I insane to purchase one of these in a snowy environment? Granted its been in the 60's lol. But we also get 3 feet of snow some years. My dad had an 06 and it was Terrible...but that was on regular tires. Could I buy a set of blizzaks and get through the winters up here, or am I kidding myself? I know there is an Awd model...but those are only 6 cyl...and I dont think I have it in me to be that responsible lol.

Can I get some first hand experiences with these cars and/or snow tires on them?

Thanks fellas.

LOL! I used to drive a 68 cuda with a 440 and NOS in the snows in Indiana. Some 6" or more deep. Also Big Block Chargers, a V8 Vega,etc. Its the driver,not the car.

Come over to the Charger Forums and ask the same question...

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/index.php

You will find hundreds of folks driving these cars all over the Northern tier of the US and way up into Canada all Winter long with nothing more than a good set of snow tires.

I have been driving my '06 Charger SRT through every Winter for the past 10 years. With good tires, it's a beast in the snow. It's a heavy RWD vehicle with modern traction control.

It does NOT fear the snow!

Attachments

• Mar 15.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 345
  • Snow Charger SRT.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 352
  • Snow racing SRT NoFear.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 357
Go for it. They aint worth nuthin. Aint like you lost anything if you splatter one all to hell. There are a million more just like um.

Go for it. They aint worth nuthin. Aint like you lost anything if you splatter one all to hell. There are a million more just like um.

At $35-50k for a 2015 Charger, your math is a bit off. And no, you won't "splatter" one. They are well suited for any condition you want to drive one in.

They only made around 17K SRTs from '06-'10 and only 1138 in my Inferno red color (and the color was only available in '06)

So no...there aren't "a million more just like um".

Yes. There are, compared to classic Mopars. You won't lose a thing wreckin a Fiat.

Perfect timing!!! I was planning on buying a 2015 200 but was just thinkin today that I might get a 12-14 3.6 Charger instead since I like how they look better, it'd be roomier, more trunk space, similar mpg and 12-14s can be picked up cheaper than a 15 200. But I was wondering about the winter side of it but really the majority of the time it'd see snow/ice would be when we go on a trip in the winter, we normally don't get more that 6-8" of snow total in southern KY.

Thanks guys. More worried about keeping the family safe, and having a reliable car that doesnt need garaged 8 months a year like my other mopars lol. And hoping I dont "splatter" anything due to an inch of snow.

Yes. There are, compared to classic Mopars. You won't lose a thing wreckin a Fiat.

My SRT ain't no Fiat and neither are the '15 Charger models. If you want a Fiat, go buy a '15 Renegade.

The modern Chargers are all Mopar design and build and have been around long before Fiat came to the party. Step in the path of an SRT or a Hellcat and you'll get your ticket stamped.

Your lack of knowledge along with pissing on a true Mopar just earned a special award...

Attachments

• AssHat_Certificate.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 352
They are all Fiat now. The company is Chrysler/Fiat. It's ok. You can stay in denial.

Oh skyooze me. I actually got that wrong. It's Fiat/Chrysler since Fiat owns the majority.

Here's an interesting tidbit to the "quality" they are building now. lol

http://reut.rs/1OqkQEM

At $35-50k for a 2015 Charger, your math is a bit off. And no, you won't "splatter" one. They are well suited for any condition you want to drive one in.

They only made around 17K SRTs from '06-'10 and only 1138 in my Inferno red color (and the color was only available in '06)

So no...there aren't "a million more just like um".

35-50k car, what's it worth once you drive it off the lot, how much value are you losing? I don't see real value in one unless it's really a limited number, like a hellcat (which made automobile history). I don't see much value for a continuos made modern car. Like my grandpa used to say "the simplicity of my old jalopy, will outlive the complexity of your new car".

Welp, made it all of 8 posts without going off track....success lol:cheers:

35-50k car, what's it worth once you drive it off the lot, how much value are you losing? I don't see real value in one unless it's really a limited number, like a hellcat (which made automobile history). I don't see much value for a continuos made modern car. Like my grandpa used to say "the simplicity of my old jalopy will outlive the complexity of your new car".

And your grandpa was right on the money.

I say this.......Buy one if you can afford it and like 'em. Then spend another 3K on a beater winter car / pickup. "Win win"

"the formula" for successful winter driving:

Being able to relax. There's a few cars I CAN'T do that in. And I HATE FWD

4x4 if you can afford it, but I "don't"

limited slip if two wheel drive

good tires

And a stick you can "lug" in second gear slick starts or....

like my old 98 Ranger, an auto that launches in 2nd if the shifter is in 2nd. THIS helps a BUNCH for those slick icy intersection starts. Lots'a Fords were set up that way

If I could afford over 20K for a car / pickup, I would not be driving it in severe snow and ice.

We bought our 14 R/T Road & Track after Christmas 2013 two days later we got 14" of snow. It was a bit tricky getting around at first and my wife had a heck of a time. I bought a set of 18" factory wheels off of Craigslist and some new snow tires to replace the 20" simmer tires that were on it. After that it has had not issue what so ever in any snow. With the traction control on it it just cruised past most front wheel drives. I have been impressed

We bought our 14 R/T Road & Track after Christmas 2013 two days later we got 14" of snow. It was a bit tricky getting around at first and my wife had a heck of a time. I bought a set of 18" factory wheels off of Craigslist and some new snow tires to replace the 20" simmer tires that were on it. After that it has had not issue what so ever in any snow. With the traction control on it it just cruised past most front wheel drives. I have been impressed

AGREE! 300C with good winter tires and I have never had a problem. Even up here in the great white north!

Even in Austria - and we are used to a lot of snow here - you can run a 300C (my former car) or a R/T Charger (my actual car) equipped with good winter tires without problems during winter season.

And in case of driving narrow, steep, snowy mountain roads for skiing I've a set of tire chains in the trunk, but up to now I've needed them only one time..

Throw some studded winter tires on it and drive it.

Good info, thank you. This will be my wife's daily, so wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be another garage queen in the winter, to park next to the dart and roadrunner for half the ohio year and look at my "wise purchase".

The 3k winter beater idea is nice in theory, until one month it needs tires...and then a throttle body, and then a set of balljoints...then you look at the car and realize it has 150k miles and never had a timing chain... im about finished making a "car payment" on her current beater every month. We have owned it outright for years which is great, and no one wants a car payment...but if im sinking money into a car, might as well be one with a warranty...and heated seats :)...and oh ya...a hemi lol

35-50k car, what's it worth once you drive it off the lot, how much value are you losing? I don't see real value in one unless it's really a limited number, like a hellcat (which made automobile history). I don't see much value for a continuos made modern car. Like my grandpa used to say "the simplicity of my old jalopy, will outlive the complexity of your new car".

I used to think like that until I scored a new R/T Charger for 25K on an end of the year deal. It's very comfortable, the heated seats are awesome in the spring and fall, I can drive it anywhere only needing oil changes, very peppy, handles like its on rails and seats 5. A buddy used to call it an overweight 4 door pig but my pig ran a 13.9 in the quarter while his 440 GTX could only muster a mid 14. I've been wrenching on mopars since the mid 80's, have an 11 second Challenger and duster, a 340 4 speed Dart, and a 65 Dart bracket car. My Charger is the only car that slaps a smile on my face every time I get into it. Maybe I'm just getting old

if you had issues driving an 06 you will have issues driving an 15 i had an 06 myself ran michelin extreme ice in the winter it helps stops better turns better but it is still rwd. If you really want good winter car get a subaru.

I have a 07 6cyl and my wife had always gotten around well. If ever too much snow she would stay off the roads

Now would be the time to buy, dealers have to pay taxes on what is sitting on the lots on Jan 1.
You could get a really good deal before December ends.

You hardly ever save money with a beater, get something nice and maintain it.
Drive it until it starts costing money, buy another one.

-
Back