2012 Tailight swap

-

CUUDAK

Reaction score
I have been throwing the idea around of fabbing up a set of 2012 Charger taillights in my 68 Barracuda. I just don't like the thought of dropping $600+ on replacements and still worry about the brightness and someone hitting the back of my car! 68 has the poorest design taillight imo anyway. I have stared at the Charger taillights for some time and think that it may be fairly easy to do this. The design is pretty close!

Can anyone tell me if they will work on a basic 12v setup or do they have a control module/ballast or whatever??

They make LED lights for your Cuda now.

I haven't seen any for the 68! I tried those 30 led replacement bulbs and they suck. They were dimmer than the 1157.

I like the way the Charger LED taillights light the entire rear of the car. I can score those cheap! Like $10 or $15 each used. For that matter my buddy works at a Dodge dealer bodyshop so maybe get them free eventually. I'm a cheap azz lol....

I suggest you contact the following company about building a set of LED tail lights for your '68 Barracuda. Who knows? Send them one of your housings for development of '68 Barracuda lights for their product line and maybe you'll get a "deep" discount.

Phone: 856-719-9989
Fax: 856-719-9990
email: [email protected]

Address:
Spaghetti Engineering
150 Cooper Road, C-7
West Berlin, NJ 08091

I just bought a set of their lights for my '69 Dart and I'm very impressed with them. 56 LED's per side and can be fully sequential if I choose.
Check 'em out and give them a call before making your decision.

I suggest you contact the following company about building a set of LED tail lights for your '68 Barracuda. Who knows? Send them one of your housings for development of '68 Barracuda lights for their product line and maybe you'll get a "deep" discount.

Address:
Spaghetti Engineering
150 Cooper Road, C-7
West Berlin, NJ 08091

I just bought a set of their lights for my '69 Dart and I'm very impressed with them. 56 LED's per side and can be fully sequential if I choose.

I seen a thread here a while back about those. They have the 67 and 69 in the works but the backup light on the 68 was an issue. I will look into it again before I cut anything up.

My lenses are garbage as well as my right side housing. I have purchased 2 sets and every set the right side housing is damaged.

$375 for the housings and nearly $300 for the lenses is a bit outrageous imo. Especially since the 67 and 69 are waaaaay cheaper. Who needs backup lights anyway? As long as my stoplights, taillights and turn signals work that is all I need. Here in Texas I no longer need inspections since my car is an antique.

All I need is registration and that is only $60 for 5 years.

Address:
Spaghetti Engineering
150 Cooper Road, C-7
West Berlin, NJ 08091

I sent Spaghetti Engineering a bunch of pictures of the 68 Barracuda tail lights complete and apart but never heard back from them.

Tail lights on my 67 were quite dim, one more so than the other, until I removed them, pulled the lens off, and cleaned the lens and reflective surfaces. One reflector needed freshening as it was degraded; I painted it with spray chrome. Spray chrome has close to the same refractive qualities as the factory finish. Result is the tail & brake lights are much brighter with 1157 bulb.
Before starting this project, order new tail light gaskets from Detroit Muscle. The old gaskets will be very brittle, will not reseal, and most likely break apart during removal.
http://detroitmuscletechnologies.com/

In my opinion, we can't have enough brake lights on these cars. I put a high mount brake lamp on the package shelf of my 67 notchbacks.
I added bulbs to the fixtures once before also. That was the first 67 notch we owned. Those lenses were very very darkened with age.
I never liked the 68 fixture design either. If the red seperater inside should get broken it will melt to the bulb.
I like the looks of the new Chargers rear lamp panel. It would probably take a lot of work to make it look decent on the fish though.

If those are the ones for the new charger. They look alot like the same as the Cuda. If nothin else. The lens would be a cool add on! Just go with the brighter 1157 replacement bulbs.

Yep thats the new ones. I am still throwing the idea around. I just don't like how the lower LED's in the center piece curve towards the top LED's.

I sent Spaghetti Engineering a bunch of pictures of the 68 Barracuda tail lights complete and apart but never heard back from them.

I also sent them an email about 73-76 Duster taillights and even offered to send them a set of buckets with NOS lenses to get prototypes made.

Riddler

I am waiting on my buddy to score me a set from the bodyshop. As far as disassembling them, I will use my bodysaw and carefully cut where needed. They would be better for a 67 or 69 since the 68 has the opaque "Backup" light lense intergrated. This is the worst designed taillight of ANY automobile imo!

Im not a wiring guru, but I would think a person could wire in a set of 67 to 69 taillight assemblys, then you could get some back up lights mounted below the r/bumper. I'm geussing it could be done fairly easy. All it should take is a 67 or 69 wiring diagram, along with the 68 diagram, to work out the differences, and some appropriate wire and, bulb sockets. Its worth a thought.

barracudadave67

www.cool-leds has the brightest LED,S around in my opinion,,,,

Attachments

• hooters%20156.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 244
Im not a wiring guru, but I would think a person could wire in a set of 67 to 69 taillight assemblys, then you could get some back up lights mounted below the r/bumper. I'm geussing it could be done fairly easy. All it should take is a 67 or 69 wiring diagram, along with the 68 diagram, to work out the differences, and some appropriate wire and, bulb sockets. Its worth a thought.

barracudadave67

This is not something I want to do. I never liked the two backup lights on the 67 and 69's. My intention on my build is to keep my 383 "S" completly stock/original on the exterior and interior. You would walk up to my car and see it as it was in 1968, that is until the hood is opened!

I could probably use the Spaghetti Ind. LED's for the 69 in my 68 but would delete the backup lights. I don't really need the backup lights since Texas doesn't require inspection stickers on antiques. I would have to remove the center lense. The housings are the same except for added hole for the backup light socket.

This is not something I want to do. I never liked the two backup lights on the 67 and 69's. My intention on my build is to keep my 383 "S" completly stock/original on the exterior and interior. You would walk up to my car and see it as it was in 1968, that is until the hood is opened!

I could probably use the Spaghetti Ind. LED's for the 69 in my 68 but would delete the backup lights. I don't really need the backup lights since Texas doesn't require inspection stickers on antiques. I would have to remove the center lense. The housings are the same except for added hole for the backup light socket.

If you removed the inner deflector then what would you do about the white section of the lense? Are the Spaghetti LEDs red or white output?

You saying the internal housing is the same? The outside visable area is different.

If you removed the inner deflector then what would you do about the white section of the lense? Are the Spaghetti LEDs red or white output?

You saying the internal housing is the same? The outside visable area is different.
Entirely Red!

-
Back