2013 Ram questions

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought a new 2013 Ram last month and took it in today for it's first service. I had noticed some shuttering with the trans/converter and mentioned it to them. They told me there was an update on driveability issues and installed it. Does anyone know what it the update entails?

Also, Any suggestions on bumping fuel milage a bit more? I installed a tonneau cover and put a K&N air filter in, replacing the stock filter. raised the tire pressure up and use the cruise control. Highway milage is about 18-19. hoping to be in 20's
Thanks!

I would love to get 18 mpg on a full size pickup. A front end skirt/spoiler in good weather could help, remove it when snow gets deep. Enjoy the new ride.

I need to take mine in for its first oil change and have that update put in mine too

if its a 5.7 4x4 its rated at 13/19 if its 2 wheel drive its rated at 14/20 use a calculator not that unit in the over head console for true milage,,, you can get a hand h held tuner diablo there are setting options, for performance and mileage,,,,diablo is untracable but you will need to put the factory tune back in if it goes for any type of warranty work or if they hook up to the OBD port,,
if its the 3.6 with 8 speed its rated at 25 mpg high way

I forgot to mention, or should have said at first. 4x4, 5.7 standard cab shortbed with the Express package. I searched for this truck having the 3.55 suregrip, tow package dual exhaust, roll up windows pushbutton locks. it does have the 20" wheels on it, which I think contribute to the poor milage. I say poor compared to the '09 I traded in for it with the exception of it having the 4.7l motor. I was a consistant 22-23 on the highway with it. I guess I had gotten spoiled with it's milage comparded to this one.

question for u ??? im looking at used trucks,,, what is the express package ???? and what was the mileage on the 4.7 ??

Bought a 13 crew cab ST with the 5.7 and 3:55 the fuel economy has not been great but in has been wicked cold here since I have had the truck but love the truck. Did notice the warmer the temp the more it runs in eco.

. . . and what was the mileage on the 4.7 ??

I'll throw my 2c in on the mileage with the 4.7. We've got a 2010 reg cab short bed 4x4 with an added tonneau cover. We took it to the Nationals from VA - about 370 one way. Between the to and from trip (used cruise most of the time) and back and forth the the hotel, we got between 23-24 MPG, which I don't think is hateful at all for a full size truck. Locally we average around 18-19MPG.

thanks sounds like a little bit more mileage on the highway fro ma 4.7.... i have a diesle 2500 now no problems just want some thign a little newer that rides better,,, looking for a short bed 4x4 slt with both rears sure grip

I just bought a 2013 Ram 4x4 Crew cab 5.7 Hemi, a few months ago. I installed a tonneau cover, but fuel mileage sucks! I get about 12.7 mpg average city and 15 highway. I don't have many miles on as yet, so hopefully the fuel mileage will get better. As for the annoying vibration in ECO mode, well the service adviser told me Mopar is working on a fix.
gliderider06: Did they fix your shutter problem?

The mileage will get better, with time. My 13' Patriot needed about 5,000 miles to really get the better mileage. Hemi engine? my challenger needed around 5-6k breakin for the mileage to Improve.

I get 15 mpg around town on my '12 if I baby it and 20 highway. Although I got 14 mpg driving 80 into a 25 mph head wind the other day. It's a 2wd quad cab btw. Haven't had the shudder issue thus far.

Speed is the BIG factor in determining MPG. At 60 with my 2014 V6 Ram (1/2 ton 4wd) I got 21.5 on a trip through mountains. It goes up if I go slower, down a lot if travelling faster or against wind. It only has about 3K miles and mpg seems to be improving.

In my part of the country, we have winter blend fuels.
Milage will suffer for sure.
Made a 240 mile trip this summer in my sons 2010 HEMI 4X2 truck, got 20MPG.
Same trip with the winter blend fuel, got 16 MPG.
Didn't know if other states did this as well.

Hmmm... I kinda remember about the winter blend fuels now that it is mentioned. I have 2500 miles on it, so hopefully it will improve some more. I have not driven it much since the dealer did the download. I will report back tomorrow after I drive it to work and back and see if there is a difference.

I believe winter fuel has 10% ethanol. my cars lose 10% mileage whenever they get close to it. And they go slower.

Hmmm... I kinda remember about the winter blend fuels now that it is mentioned. I have 2500 miles on it, so hopefully it will improve some more. I have not driven it much since the dealer did the download. I will report back tomorrow after I drive it to work and back and see if there is a difference.
Thanks, I'm curious to find out if it corrected the problem.

The mileage will get better, with time. My 13' Patriot needed about 5,000 miles to really get the better mileage. Hemi engine? my challenger needed around 5-6k breakin for the mileage to Improve.

2013 5.7 challenger i took it for a trip from eastern pa t o columbus ohio with only 1600 miles on it 5.7 auto i was getting between 24.5 to 25.4 on the high way with the cruise on at 72 mph i thought that was pretty goood,,,from columbus ohio to philly pa exactly one tank of fuel 93 octane

As for the updates on computer software... I can't really pinpoint what it has done. It shutters a little less and I cant be certain but I think it holds gears longer, while in traffic. I would say it is worth the price you will pay for it at the dealer. I would suggest mentioning it to them about the converter and over drive locking up early and if there is any updates to correct it.

As for the updates on computer software... I can't really pinpoint what it has done. It shutters a little less and I cant be certain but I think it holds gears longer, while in traffic. I would say it is worth the price you will pay for it at the dealer. I would suggest mentioning it to them about the converter and over drive locking up early and if there is any updates to correct it.

The update is a flash when they come out with programs to change the info the computes use. I have been doing a lot on the new rams with cold engine starting.

Thanks for the update.

-
Back