22-inch Replacement Rad. for six cyl.?

-
A bigger radiator than your opening is just more capacity. If the air doesn't flow through it on the edges it doesn't add to the cooling capacity much. There will be a little extra heat shedding because of the extra capacity but if you have a slant 6 that didn't overheat for 55 years and all of a sudden does, you have problems that need fixed.

Last edited:
Ya know, I always want to say that. Why do we have all of the cooling issues in this day and age? Do not remember ever having these problems back then, but at age '71, maybe I don't remember so well.
Could not upload picture yet again, but my avatar shows my C Case.

Last edited:
I offered the original poster an A body 22" factory AC /6 heavy duty radiator. Guess its the wrong color. Weird.

I offered the original poster an A body 22" factory AC /6 heavy duty radiator. Guess its the wrong color. Weird.
What the OP.....and many like him cannot get through their THICK SKULLS is, a radiator with a bigger core does not have to have a bigger opening in the radiator support. ALL if the water in the radiator will still see air flow since the water is moving through the radiator. I know you understand that, but try as we might, others do not and some never will get it. It just behooves me how anyone can be so damned thick headed.

I have the original 1965 19" 4spd radiator in my /6 Dart.
Cools the car just fine. I can't see any reason any /6 car would need anything more than a 22" radiator let alone a 19".
If you're having problems cooling with either radiator (in good condition), you have other issues.

Cools the car just fine. I can't see any reason any /6 car would need anything more than a 22" radiator let alone a 19".
If you're having problems cooling with either radiator (in good condition), you have other issues.
I agree 100%. All I'm saying is, the OP is acting like absolutely nothing else will fit, when that's totally false.

Cools the car just fine. I can't see any reason any /6 car would need anything more than a 22"radiator let alone a 19".
If you're having problems Cooling with either radiator, you have other issues.
I had a 19" radiator in my Swinger with a 318 and dealer installed air conditioning. THe only issues I had was in 95° weather, in town driving, waiting to get parked at a car show with the a/c on, and a bad cap. As soon as I shut it off the coolant superheated because of the loss of pressure and puked all over the pavement. (embarrassing to say the least) THere are a lot of reasons why the op is having issues and a bigger radiator may not solve the problem.

I had a 19" radiator in my Swinger with a 318 and dealer installed air conditioning. THe only issues I had was in 95° weather, in town driving, waiting to get parked at a car show with the a/c on, and a bad cap. As soon as I shut it off the coolant superheated because of the loss of pressure and puked all over the pavement. (embarrassing to say the least) THere are a lot of reasons why the op is having issues and a bigger radiator may not solve the problem.
Agreed! With Vixen, I have a really nice little original size three row aluminum radiator. The ONLY reason is because I snagged it scratch and dent on ebay for 89 bucks and free shippin. Otherwise, I'd have the original still in her. I still have it, it was just stopped up and the new radiator was actually cheaper than fixing the original. lol

Agreed! With Vixen, I have a really nice little original size three row aluminum radiator. The ONLY reason is because I snagged it scratch and dent on ebay for 89 bucks and free shippin. Otherwise, I'd have the original still in her. I still have it, it was just stopped up and the new radiator was actually cheaper than fixing the original. lol
Score! (Did I say score!)

I feel like a fool with my radiator cap story. Here I preach all the cooling system info and I overheat because of a bad cap. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

I agree with RustyRatRod that a wider radiator will cool much better even with the 19" opening. The air isn't restricted to flowing in straight lines. My M.S. thesis in Mech Engineering was in heat transfer, but believe what you want. I have a Be Cool aluminum radiator with side tanks which I installed in my 1965 Chrysler. I considered installing it in my 1965 Dart 273. It barely fit between the frame rails but only if I cut off the overhanging lips on the rails, which I wasn't going to do. No, I didn't pay the $800 prices you see in the links since found it on ebay new for $50 I recall. It doesn't have side flanges but instead 4 tapped holes on the fwd side of the tanks, so I had to drill matching holes in my Chrysler radiator support. Using Evans Waterless Coolant since I want it to last (all my cars).

Re what radiators work in a slant, my 1964 Valiant had an unknown radiator when I bought it, so I'm running that until I find it is a problem. Definitely not Mopar A-body as it thin with a square top tank. It doesn't have the angled bottom outlet of a correct slant radiator, but the hose still fit OK. Copper, so likely no later than 1970's. Car came with a little Honda labelled battery and a M-B pusher fan in front of the radiator with no engine fan. Those are intended just to help the AC condenser (I have a 1980's M-B). Some gomer wired that fan directly to the key switch with no relay (yes, melted under-dash wires) and it didn't suffice. There is minimal room between water pump and radiator, which is why the slant recessed the water pump on the side of the block. I doubt you could fit a fan-clutch, even with the thinnest radiator you can find, and using a very thin fan-clutch (Jaguar or 1980's M-B). My 1969 Dart slant had factory AC and no fan-clutch as I recall. I couldn't fit one in my 1964 and had to use a thin nylon fan.

There is minimal room between water pump and radiator, which is why the slant recessed the water pump on the side of the block. I doubt you could fit a fan-clutch, even with the thinnest radiator you can find, and using a very thin fan-clutch (Jaguar or 1980's M-B). My 1969 Dart slant had factory AC and no fan-clutch as I recall. I couldn't fit one in my 1964 and had to use a thin nylon fan.[/QUOTE]
Which water pump were you using, early or later?

Which water pump were you using, early or later?
I didn't know there is a difference for slant engines. I might have bought the new water pump from rockauto. In my 1965 273 engine, I made the "mistake" of installing a later aluminum water pump. That was to fit the radiator bottom outlet, since radiator was for a later 1970's Dart (all Autozone could get then). Problem was the alum water pump is ~1" thicker, which messed up all the pulley alignments and couldn't use my TRW p.s. pump (no brackets for alum w.p.). I eventually got 'er done, but should have researched more and picked my battles wiser. In many ways, slants pose fewer problems since they changed less than the small-blocks until ~1981, though do have the same issues with engine to transmission interface and transmission to driveshaft changes (between 1965 and 1968, I recall).

-
Back