225 Clutch Recommendations

-

KosmicKuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need to buy a clutch for a 64 Valiant, 225, 3 speed manual. (3 on the tree) and need recommendations.

Looking at the Rockauto offerings I see:
LUK 05-004 Borg and Beck 3 lever 9-1/4".
LUK 05-003 Diaphragm 9-1/4".
AMS 05-003 B&B 9-1/4"
AMS 05-004 B&B 10"

The 225 is a new rebuild, +.030, .080 off the head, mild pocket porting, Oregon regrind cam.

I'm thinking the 10" AMS. The LUK diaphragm might be a sweet upgrade because of the reduced effort.
Anyone have any direct experience with any of these? Need to pull the trigger today because of time constraints.

Interested as well as I will have a similar engine build (except my block was decked) and am using an original 65 833, which took the 9 1/4 clutch.

I just replaced the 9 1/2" Auburn style clutch in my 1967 Barracuda 273 4-Speed with the Borg & Beck 10" and I love it. It has a little more pressure than the old Auburn style pressure plate and the fact that you can use the same flywheel, release lever and throwout bearing is a big plus too! I can't see why you wouldn't do it.

I put the 9.25" B&B behind our almost stock rebuilt 225 in a heavier '62 B-body Dart; not too heavy a pedal feel at all and pulls fine; the head was shaved .050" and used the shim head gasket, and the cam is a torque grind from Doug Dutra, so it is just up a bit on torque. I stuck with that size mostly for originality. The overcenter spring is still there. I think you will be fine with any of the above in a lighter car and mild engine.

-
Back